• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

Josephl64

I don't really care too much if we have weapon clones as long as their actual fighting styles and strings are different.

Either way, we've had some weird choices so I just don't know what to expect. At the very least my main seems to be fine (Sun Shang Xiang).

Good luck people.

Zhang He losing his claws is some bullshit. And I don't even like the character.

Their approach to this game is so strange.

Edit: Strange, didn't expect SSX to get her chakrams back

Aizo

Banned
Is the zettai ryouiki a common design trend for female characters in musou?

Also, if Wang Yi doesn't play the same, I'll be very sad. I think she's the most fun to control.

I hope Cao Cao has a new moveset. His DW 8 moveset was garbage. I liked it in DW 5, meh in DW 6, skipped 7, was disappointed in Warriors Orochi 3, and then disappointed again in DW 8-Empires. Granted there are alot of characters that rely on weapon upgrades to make them more useful, I still felt like they didn't really help Cao Cao.

Malrend

For the most part, I do like the weapon rotations among the characters, with the exception of characters like Xiahou Yuan. Where even his description mentions his archery skills.
If you're going to praise their skills with a weapon, then give them that weapon as a default.

Gren

Am I the only person who thinks that Zhao Yun looks ugly now? What happened to his pretty boy face? D:

No, I also noticed that this render is not as...immaculate as past ones were. Surprising since he's such a bread n' butter character.

Wu for life; disappointed that Ling Tong made it in before Taishi Ci or Zhou Tai.

I hope Cao Cao has a new moveset. His DW 8 moveset was garbage. I liked it in DW 5, meh in DW 6, skipped 7, was disappointed in Warriors Orochi 3, and then disappointed again in DW 8-Empires. Granted there are alot of characters that rely on weapon upgrades to make them more useful, I still felt like they didn't really help Cao Cao.

DW 5s moveset was great. HIs string(S,S,TTTT,T) always looked awesome.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Is the zettai ryouiki a common design trend for female characters in musou?

Also, if Wang Yi doesn't play the same, I'll be very sad. I think she's the most fun to control.

Her Trishulas were great, but I think they tried foisting these lame little dagger things on her in DW8 Empires, so it's kind of up in the air.

All the movesets are getting revamped to some degree to fit the new combat system. I've heard Cao Cao's no longer has shadow dudes. Instead he performs some of the shadow dude attack animations himself, so it seems more traditional.

For the most part, I do like the weapon rotations among the characters, with the exception of characters like Xiahou Yuan. Where even his description mentions his archery skills.
If you're going to praise their skills with a weapon, then give them that weapon as a default.

The thing is, they're bringing back bows for everyone that they had in the pre-six titles (with updates, of course. A third person camera, for one). For that reason, it could be that all of the bow characters (Xiahou Yuan, Huang Zhong, Zhu Ran) will be getting replacement weapons. Or maybe Xiahou Yuan will have bow attacks incorporated into his normal strings, like he did in 5 and before.

Hystzen

WHATTTTT

Cao Cao 8 moves set was best he had in years his first tt move freezes everyone and the shadow clone clears mobs and messes up officers also great speed. Its Cao Pi who needs a tweak his animations are slow as shit easy get knocked out of combo on harder difficulties

WHATTTTT

Cao Cao 8 moves set was best he had in years his first tt move freezes everyone and the shadow clone clears mobs and messes up officers also great speed. Its Cao Pi who needs a tweak his animations are slow as shit easy get knocked out of combo on harder difficulties

It just never worked for me. I even followed GameFAQs' guides from esteemed forum users..... Just didn't do it for me. A quote that I agreed with:

Some people prefer to avoid the first element because it's absurdly powerful. And even with Cyclone Cao still struggles because his moveset hardly even activates elements in the first place, that's the problem here.

Weird how at opposites we are. I loved Cao Pi's moveset more than his dad's, lol.

If we want to talk about fun and crazy movesets, Huang Gai and his boat was no joke. It's pretty cool to play as Huang Gai or make a character with Huang Bai's movesets.

Creaking

If Huang Gai doesn't get his boat back, and I have a strong feeling he won't, I hope he gets his old don't-fucc-with-me rod back, and not some Xu Zhu ripoff anchor club.

52008515134125376.gif

That thing is one handed, and not to be trifled with under any circumstances.

I also wonder if they'll give him back his dark hair, or go with the "old since I was a young lad" thing he's had since 6.

Hystzen

They better not ruin Yue Jin or Yu Jin they had perfect movesets Yu Jin element swapping trident was a beast and Yue Jin hook swords was my favourite moveset in whole game with cool animations (helps his first ultimate weapon can be claimed on 3rd Wei stage)

Evilisk

Wu for life; disappointed that Ling Tong made it in before Taishi Ci or Zhou Tai.

They confirmed a while back that everyone is returning

So it's really only Ling Tong being "revealed" before those two

If Huang Gai doesn't get his boat back, and I have a strong feeling he won't, I hope he gets his old don't-fucc-with-me rod back, and not some Xu Zhu ripoff anchor club.

52008515134125376.gif

That thing is one handed, and not to be trifled with under any circumstances.

I also wonder if they'll give him back his dark hair, or go with the "old since I was a young lad" thing he's had since 6.

I can only hope that they're bringing back this design. I was NOT a fan of new Huang Gai. Especially not that dumb surfboat moveset he got in DW8 (thankfully, it doesn't seem like that'll be returning, if Ma Dai's "new weapon" is any indication)

Creaking

Aight, site got updated, so I updated the new character listings with their bios.

As a bonus, here are their busts:

I really wish they would've changed Sima Shi's silly hair. Three games now. Sigh.

Zhou Yu without the Elder Sword is not canon. Same with Zhang He and his claws. Why do they have to fuck with my characters? Next they're going to reveal Zhou Tai with a club or some shit.

Reknoc

Oh man, I am not okay with these changes haha. The loss of Ma Dais brush seems like an indication to some serious toning down of the crazy weapons. No more boats sword or weird magic snooker cues.

Both weapons/movesets for Zhou Yu were great. I'm fine with either one.

We have better hope that they don't mess with Zhou Tai and his katana!

Tagyhag

I remember when they changed weapons for 6...it was a dark time.

Hopefully 9 doesn't fall for the same trappings.

Creaking

I remember when they changed weapons for 6...it was a dark time.

Hopefully 9 doesn't fall for the same trappings.

Hoping against hope that they're using the same models/weapon types but keeping the actual attacks/animations different, like in Warriors Orochi 3.

Although I'm not actually all that sad to see Sun Ce's tonfas go. They seemed kind of lousy since their reintroduction in 7.

ZangBa

Why would they take away Sun Ce's Tonfas? It's a really unique weapon that he's been using forever, that sucks. A lot of these weapon changes are really odd.

Three more reveals, and more weapon controversy:

Sun Ce

...with Zhou Cang's blade

Ma Chao

Same ol' same ol' spear.

Jia Chong

...with pokey sticks. Emei Piercers maybe?

Interesting. I really dig the double axes that Jia Chong had and Sun Ce getting a new weapon will surely make people mad.

NeonZ

Why would they take away Sun Ce's Tonfas? It's a really unique weapon that he's been using forever, that sucks. A lot of these weapon changes are really odd.

In addition to cloned weapons due to revamping the battle system, it feels like they're deliberately removing all the more exotic weapons. Maybe it has something to do with the stronger marketing focus on China itself this time?

Hoping against hope that they're using the same models/weapon types but keeping the actual attacks/animations different, like in Warriors Orochi 3.

Although I'm not actually all that sad to see Sun Ce's tonfas go. They seemed kind of lousy since their reintroduction in 7.

Honestly? I'm sad, but I think they didn't know what else to do for his Tonfa moveset. Repeated weapons, but I hope they have alot of variety when it comes to duplicated weapons for characters with the same weapons.

It is indeed and I am sad to see it disappear, but I'm thinking that they would still retain some of their older and newer movesets since every character can use two weapons and a bow.

Liking Sun Ce's armor and look though. Sucks for Jia Chong because I did like his Dual Axes. Ma Chao is still..... Ma Chao. He's ok in my book. His moveset was mediocre imo.

I'm going to hazard a guess that some of the legacy weapons will be reduced to secondary weapons and not many will be a character's primary weapon unless you change it yourself. What else have you heard Creaking?

Creaking

I'm going to hazard a guess that some of the legacy weapons will be reduced to secondary weapons and not many will be a character's primary weapon unless you change it yourself. What else have you heard Creaking?

Not much. Honestly, the combat system remains a bit of a mystery, and how weapons work with it. I'm not actually sure if weapon switching in active combat is coming back, but I have heard that any character can equip any weapon.

Not much. Honestly, the combat system remains a bit of a mystery, and how weapons work with it. I'm not actually sure if weapon switching in active combat is coming back, but I have heard that any character can equip any weapon.

Hm.... Interesting. We will see and read first hands-on impressions soon via TGS. Hoping that everything works out!

Verus

Lu Lingqi became playable in Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends, not 8.

Wait. Why is she in Others in DW9?

Edit;
Derp do not post when tired. Confused her with someone else entirely lol I expect her to leave Others after 8.

Matsukaze

Not digging Sun Ce without tonfas or Zhang He without claws. Jia Chong getting a weapon change already seems a bit weird, but whatever.

Obviously I'll reserve judgment until I actually play with them, but first impression for the weapon changes ain't great.

These weapon clones might be similar to their older entries a la swords for all 3 rulers of Shu, Wei, and Wu. Weapon clones, but all will have different movesets and I'm okay with that honestly.

Now I'm interested in seeing these changes:

- Zhu Rong
- Meng Huo
- Xing Cai
- Deng Ai
- Xiahou Ba
- Wei Yan
- Zhen Ji
- Cao Pi
- Huang Gai
- Wang Yuanji
- Wang Yi
- Zhou Tai

mas8705

Something about a few of the weapon changes here feel slightly off for me. I mean, I can get why it can happen, but the last time they made drastic changes to what weapon some characters used, it was called DW6 and we know how that ended up...

Honestly, it would be wrong for me to think of the possiblity that there might be DLC weapons that will let some characters use what they had previously had like what we saw in DW8? Either way though, still going to hold off judgment until later on when we see more of the roster come into play.

NeonZ

Honestly, it would be wrong for me to think of the possiblity that there might be DLC weapons that will let some characters use what they had previously had like what we saw in DW8?

There will probably be DLC weapons like in DW7 and 8, if weapons can still be changed, but they won't be assigned to characters as their default weapons until the next standalone game.

The original DW7 still had a very large number of clones too. 18 weapons shared between 44 characters, with the remaining 18 characters having unique movesets. One of the issues with DW6's character line up is that in spite of having many clones it also cut characters. It also kept character based storylines, while keeping many characters without stories of their own.

Something about a few of the weapon changes here feel slightly off for me. I mean, I can get why it can happen, but the last time they made drastic changes to what weapon some characters used, it was called DW6 and we know how that ended up...

How 6 ended up was for a lot of reasons more important than cloned movesets. It wouldn't have mattered if every character had a unique weapon and moveset, the renbu system would still have been bunk.

Creaking

Found a neat imgur album by a user on Koeiwarriors, comparing each character's DW9 appearance with their appearance in the previous game or two.

Really highlights how much their rendering has improved, or how they're going for a slightly more naturalistic look for these characters.

Check it out

Found a neat imgur album by a user on Koeiwarriors, comparing each character's DW9 appearance with their appearance in the previous game or two.

Really highlights how much their rendering has improved, or how they're going for a slightly more naturalistic look for these characters.

Check it out

Lu lingqi has chubbier cheeks

They took away Jia Chong's axes?
What the fuck?

Everything that was once known has become unknown.

I feel like I'm lost in the fog.

This shit is ridiculous.

Top Bottom