• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
kanu.jpg

f672db863f1b82e40a52099efb17e1d428cb37e9_hq.jpg

Evilisk

Sun Ce losing the tonfas is pretty lame... because now he's gotta share a weapon with that poser Zhou Cang :p Really though, the tonfas are not what I'd consider "fantastical weapons" so I'm surprised they're not coming back.

Jia Chong, I'm fine with the change. Clunky throwing axes for a weapon was always a weird choice for a character like him. I was hoping he'd get the piercers, just because I don't want Wang Yi getting them, but since we are getting clones anyway, it probably wouldn't matter if he did.

Ma Chao actually looks pretty damn cool. It's a shame that his personality went to shit in DW8 though. I'm just recalling that embarrassing exchange where he defected to Liu Bei and I think that might have been the fastest I've gone to disliking a character.

Shanaynay

DW9-Xu-Sheng-Init_09-05-17.jpg

Another new guy joins the frey, this time its Xu Sheng

Read about it here
we also get confirmation on some weapons existing officers uses.

Wang Yuanji – Throwing Daggers
Sima Zhao – Sword
Xingcai – Sword and Shield
Zhang Bao – Dual Meteors
Cao Pi – Dual Blade
Zhenji – Whip

I guess Xing Cai and Lu Ling Qi will share weapons, i'd be surprised if they have a different moveset, same for Wang Yuanji and Zhang He.

cwistofu

ZHENJI WITH A WHIP?

Losing the flute is a huge blow already, but I absolutely despise the whip moveset.

I'm out fam.

The Whip was fine by me. Not at all upset. Need to see Cao Pi, but the way they worded it I'm not too happy but it could also mean double-bladed sword?

The only thing that would truly upset me is if the reports during TGS says, "characters are sharing movesets!" I'm still hoping they don't have shared movesets 🤞

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Seems like a lot of weapons are being shared by at least two officers. I get the feeling it will continue as such outside a few instances, where the weapon is too unusual or iconic to be conceivably shared. I suppose it's better than the situations in 6 or 7, where single movesets were shared among 5+ officers.

Still hoping for unique or mostly unique movesets.

Too bad Xingcai didn't get her sausage fork back. With the way Zhang Fei got his single-headed serpent spear back, I was hoping they would be headed in that direction.

Seems like a lot of weapons are being shared by at least two officers. I get the feeling it will continue as such outside a few instances, where the weapon is too specific or iconic to be conceivably shared. I suppose it's better than the situations in 6 or 7, where single movesets were shared among 5+ officers.

Still hoping for unique, or mostly unique movesets.

Yeah, I hope it doesn't pull a DW6 and have multiple officers share movesets...

...I can see why it would, since it's the leap to a new generation, but it'd suck :l

Creaking

Yeah, I hope it doesn't pull a DW6 and have multiple officers share movesets...

...I can see why it would, since it's the leap to a new generation, but it'd suck :l

Yeah. At least they aren't also cutting characters. To be honest, I'm surprised with how many they're adding, especially on top of keeping the 83 they had in DW8 Empires.

The Whip was fine by me. Not at all upset. Need to see Cao Pi, but the way they worded it I'm not too happy but it could also mean double-bladed sword?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're talking about his double-ended sword he had in 5 and 8. It's referred to as a "dual blade" in 8, anyway.

Sesha

It's a skip for me, unless old weapons are also available via weapon switch or DLC. I expect 10 to be mostly back to formula with the weapons, like 7 was to 6.

So, did anybody hear about someone making a Dynasty Warriors movie? Or are they pulling my leg? The idea is horrible, just like the games.

Creaking

I just hope this new combat system is worth it, and not another Renbu situation. The clones were bad on their own, but clones for the sake of a combat system that was dumbed down for the sake of looking flashy was what really hurt.

Gren

What pains me is that they come up with some awesome redesigns every now & again. DW6 Zhen Ji is my all-time favorite rendition of her, despite that she shared a moveset with Diao Chan.

I guess they'll sell us that character skin next game when they diversify movesets in that typical Koei fashion :p

Shared movesets are dumb, but are they really a problem? I can't find the time to try out all the characters and there are some I don't like. If Dong Zhuo had an awesome moveset I wouldn't mind if a good character got it too.

Evilisk

Well, at least Xu Sheng isn't another boring baby face design again

(I really dislike how Zhu Ran turned out)

when it comes to new characters, what 8 showed is we have a severe lack of late game Wu generals, we need more there

Yeah, they really need more.

What pains me is that they come up with some awesome redesigns every now & again. DW6 Zhen Ji is my all-time favorite rendition of her, despite that she shared a moveset with Diao Chan.

I guess they'll sell us that character skin next game when they diversify movesets in that typical Koei fashion :p

Yeah DW6 Zhenji might be the only DW6 design that wasn't too bad.

I hope the whip moveset is at least getting revamped. I don't remember if it got changed but I don't really like how the weapon works as of DW7/WO3U

Since Sun Ce don't have tonfa anymore, the next logical place for tonfa users would be Meng Huo or Zhu Rong, imo.

I think Sun Ce woulda kept the tonfas if they planned to clone/share the weapon with multiple characters

Yeah. At least they aren't also cutting characters.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're talking about his double-ended sword he had in 5 and 8. It's referred to as a "dual blade" in 8, anyway.

First point is true and good, at least. Second point..... It's weird wording, but it can be used both ways since Cao Pi does take them off during certain attacks. And your other post after this..... I've always liked the Warriors series because of how flashy each and every movesets were. I'm hoping they won't remove too much of the flashiness since it's one of the only series to portray the flashy effects we see in Asian Martial Arts with Weapon movies i.e., Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

It's a skip for me, unless old weapons are also available via weapon switch or DLC. I expect 10 to be mostly back to formula with the weapons, like 7 was to 6.

I'm pretty sure we will see tons of cosmetic, new/old/legacy weapons as dlc down the road (dare I say it.... A loot crate system?), and I'm guessing we will be allowed freedom to switch weapons of our choosing. Like I mentioned earlier, the TGS reports will definitely make or break the game for alot of fans.

So yeah, looks like they weren't pulling my leg.

4dfv4rffqljzbnsw0.jpg

Woah.... What? I'm hoping it's at least as good as Red Cliff.

Creaking

Got (small) pics of Xu Sheng, Sima Zhao, and Wang Yuanji. I'll add them to the front page once we get proper sized images from the main website.

DI8t6YoUQAAw4TU.jpg

Scribble

that design really suits Yuan Shu more than it does Yuan Shao. Yuan Shao should have his old DW4 design, and they should stick Yuan Shu in with this one. Also throw in Ji Ling.

I'm still hoping they don't have shared movesets 🤞

They're going to have shared movesets.

It's the biggest DW cast yet on a new engine. Lots of corners are going to get cut.

I imagine that sometime down the line, Tecmo/Koei will put entirely new weapons up for sale as DLC.

TreIII

Well, we get another Wu addition...but it's not a late-Wu era.

So, another game where we fight Lianshi and friends over and over for Jin's Wu battles, huh?

Dangerously close to "shared movesets" here.

It's really going to suck if we do get shared movesets.

With over 80 characters and a seemingly limited weapon base, I find it a little hard to believe that every character--same weapons and all--are going to have entirely unique movesets.

Auraela

Banned
koei's probs feeling dumb with the fact lu lingqi got second fav in poll and is being relegated to having a shared move set

ZangBa

Xu Sheng is a good pick. The problem with late Wu is that there just isn't a lot of good choices. You got Lu Kang and Zhuge Ke, and maybe Sun Hao because why not. Lu Kang won't happen unless they age up Lu Xun probably, which I doubt will happen.

Personally, I'd like to see Lady Wu. Might as well make her live forever like most of the women, but at least she's pretty relevant.

Xu Sheng is a good pick. The problem with late Wu is that there just isn't a lot of good choices. You got Lu Kang and Zhuge Ke, and maybe Sun Hao because why not. Lu Kang won't happen unless they age up Lu Xun probably, which I doubt will happen.

Personally, I'd like to see Lady Wu. Might as well make her live forever like most of the women, but at least she's pretty relevant.

Yeah, two games in, and late Wu already feels pretty depressing with just Lianshi and Ding Feng being the only non-generic representatives of their kingdom.

If I had a choice between an open world setting and an overhauled combat system retaining all the weapons from DW8, I'd choose the latter.

I hate that iconic weapons of the franchise like the tonfas, flute and claws have been removed, but I utterly despise the prospect of moveset clones. Hopefully the developers give every shared weapon user at least one unique combo string or Imma be pissed at this being a DW6/DW7 repeat.

the cynical side of me expects those weapons are going to be dlc, because KOEI might actually be the worst when it comes to DLC both in price and in the sheer volume of it.

Well shit..... They have fishing and I do love me some fishing, but they might have cloned movesets and I dislike cloned movesets..... Decisions, decisions....

Oh no at Cao Pi...... It looks like he still has his signature ice move though. Sima Zhao looks meh. Wang Yuanji looks ok. Xing Cai looks ok.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I haven't been following this much but if Sima doesn't surf on dudes anymore I'm out.

Creaking

Zhang Bao looks much better than he did in 8. Not particularly sad to see his old weapon gone either. Thing was weird.

It looks like both Xu Sheng and Zhang Bao have a uh..."dual" chain mace, where there's a mace on both ends of the chain, and they swing the weapon by holding the middle of the chain. I didn't notice that detail with Dong Zhuo, who just has a regular chain mace that has a hilt.

That's new.

I remember when they changed weapons for 6...it was a dark time.

Hopefully 9 doesn't fall for the same trappings.

SSX's bow was dope in 6, but 6 was bad overall and that was the ONLY character I could stand to play in that game to max level

The biggest tragedy in that game was giving Xiahou Dun a fucking club, though.

mao2

Whoa Xu Sheng looks like he's gonna be awesome! Kinda disappointed that Zhen Ji no longer has her flute as her default weapon though. Also I'm not sure if I like her new dress... well, at least it's not a disaster like in DW7.

Top Bottom