• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyson vacuums: are they really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mother needs a new vacuum and she doesn't want to spend a lot of money but I'm willing to drop a few blocks, if the Dyson vacuum really is that much better than the average vacuum. I did some quick reading online and saw that some of them tear up carpets? Wtf is up with that? Is there anyone here who owns a Dyson vacuum?

What do you think? All feedback is appreciated

EDIT: and me being the idiot that I am wrote fan instead of vacuum in the title -_-

panty

My sister has one of the high-end models and the noise that shit makes is unbearable. It will fuck your ears.

And no it's not broken.

pashmilla

Banned
My mum has a cordless one. It's pretty nifty. You don't have to lug a huge behemoth up and down the stairs every time you want to hoover the bathroom, which is nice.

daveo42

Banned
My parents have one that's supposedly better for or designed for animal hair and dander. They like it and still use it all the time after having it for 5+ years. I'd say it does a good job sucking.

KissVibes

Banned
If you love your mother, you will tell her to get a Miele. Or a Riccar vacuum if you love America a lot.

Dyson's are only good if you want that brand name or demand bagless design.

rpmurphy

I have had two of the smaller ball multi-floor models for several years, does the job, no pets here. It is expensive though and you probably want to look for sales or discounts if you want to buy one. But coming from a cheap vacuum that was a pain in the ass to fix and maintain, I think it's been worth the price.

We have the Animal51 (?) my wife loves it. I have used it a few times it seems a little better than an average vacuum to me, but she says it's the best she's ever had.

Go me!

daviyoung

Banned
they're low-maintenance, sturdy devices that can handle abuse and do their job fantastically, but they're also super heavy and somewhat unweildy

Really low maintenance and powerful. I got one for $270 with no regrets.
It is such a relief to not have to touch cat puke anymore.

Edit: I also agree to try to get it when on sale. It was priced at $400 and I am not sure it was worth that much.
Link to mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMLK2KW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is about as heavy as any other vacuum. More powerful suction than any vacuum I used.

Mindlog

Everything you ever wanted to know about vacuums.
Part 2.
Upvoted Podcast
DTMC |OT|
Miele for canisters

Riccar for uprights

Hoover for budget machines

Sanitaire or Royal for commercial machines

Dyson if you just can't be talked out of a bagless machine.
Dollar for dollar, a bagged vacuum, when compared to a bagless, will almost always:

1) Perform better (Actual quality of cleaning).

2) Be in service for much longer.

3) Cost less to repair and maintain (Often including consumables).

4) Filter your air better.
If you want to get deep on vacuums DTMC is your man.
Pretty sure this still holds true.

Mesoian

No. For the money, they aren't leaps and bounds better than most consumer vacuums. Plus they're heavy as all hell (at least the ones my parents have is).

I bought a Dyson stick, I love it. I have the recharge station conveniently in one location and the cordless feature of a Dyson stick makes it easy to cover the entire apartment without dragging a canister.

mine came with different heads, good for sofa, keyboard cleaning.

My cat sheds lots, the Dyson is great for pet hair and the HEPA filter is good.

It is easy to maintain, they say that you have to clean it once a month. But I clean mine one every two months.

there are youtube videos on how to clean them and take pieces apart and put them back together.

We have a Shark Liftaway. It's freaking amazing. Does a great job sucking, detaches just about everywhere, is really light, and very mobile. And it's wayyyyyy cheaper than a Dyson.

Hankodank

Vacuuming carpets involves two things: beating the carpet to agitate the carpet fibers and good suction.

The upright Dysons have great suction and do a good job with picking up pet hair and small particles off carpeted surfaces and bare floors in our house.

If you have mostly hard surfaces and/or thin floor mats, a Dyson would be suitable and you'd probably be very happy with your purchase.

However, Dysons don't do a good job of beating the carpet and therefore you don't get a truly "clean" carpet.

We used to have a small Electrolux that did an awesome job before I accidentally yanked the cord out of the housing. I did a test once - vacuumed our family room with the Dyson until nothing was coming up into the canister. Then I went over it with the Electrolux and got 3 [smaller] bags of dust and dander out of the same area. My only complaint with the Electrolux was that it was a small upright and I had to change bags 2-3 times each time I vacuumed the house.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice into which brands/models of vacuums to purchase, but wanted to give you information.

TL;DR - Dysons have great suction, which is great for bare surfaces, but they don't do as well on carpeted surfaces.

TL;DR - Dysons have great suction, which is great for bare surfaces, but they don't do as well on carpeted surfaces.
Yeah, you need to put carpet cleaner to get the deep stains out on the surface.
For pet hair, I use a rubber glove and rub any spots. They tend to go right to the surface.

Most vacuums by themselves are terrible on carpets I notice.

ShowDog

I absolutely wouldn't go for a Dyson. There are two avenues to take...

1. Spend $70 on a vacuum that will work great for about 2-3 years before taking a shit. Rinse and repeat. I've got a Bissell that tears shit up but it's only a year old and I can already tell it's losing some suction.

2. Spend hundreds and get a good vacuum. A Miele or whatever else they sell at the vacuum store.

A Dyson falls into category 1 but you pay like a category 2. It's a stupid buy. Maybe it's 10% better than the Bissell and will last 10% longer.

Someone linked to the podcast from a vacuum sales guy above. Don't forget that this guy works in the vacuum industry. I'm sure he truly believes everything he says, but remember, if everyone is buying and replacing $70 Bissell's he is out of a job. His job is to sell and service expensive vacuums. Not everyone wants to pay big money for a vacuum upfront, and sadly we live in an era where it's sometimes most cost effective to replace and dispose cheap stuff rather than service and maintain quality products. It's mostly a question of cash flow and what you can afford upfront.

The best vacuums are the ones that are simple but powerful

I had a 50 dollar dirt devil that lasted me forever. Did the job, was portable and piss easy to take apart and clean/repair.

kingwingin

I have one of those dyson portablemini vacuums and it sucks in a bad way. The bristles constantly stop spinning when I use it on carpet and I have to restart the thing ever few pushes.

The carpet isn't even long. It's so short you can't even pinch it

Wreav

Banned
Have an old DC-14, been using it religiously for 7 years. Works better on carpet than hardwood IMO, but I'd bet the newer models are better. Zero complaints about the Dyson, though.

Honestly, best floor clearing investment I've made in a while was a Shark steam mop, that thing is bonkers.

marrec

Banned
For the longest time I used a Kirby vacuum and it was very good at sucking.

Got a Dyson, and it's just as good, but less expensive. The Kirby feels like it'll last through an apocalypse, however, and the Dyson doesn't feel very sturdy TBH. It does do a very good job however and now that I'm having to use a shittier vacuum I can definitely say that it's worth the price you pay.

Lucius86

Banned
V6 animal owner here, and I love it. Overpriced, yes, but they do a very good job all the same. Battery life had not been an issue for me, only the bin size as you do quickly fill it up.

We recently got something that is not a Dyson after several years of using them. It's a Bissell, it's loud, it's ugly and it's not easy to use. It gets the job done.

I think Dyson's have become really really expensive. I'm pretty confident the base models work just as well as the higher end ones that come with gimmick accessories like pet hair tools. Hard to say really, how much more are they over the next nearest competitors?

The other factor is that Dyson are really great for spares when something does break.

marrec

Banned

Husker86

I did research for months and ended up going with a Miele. Everything I read convinced me that no canister vacuum can match a good bagged one, both in suction and filtering. Miele bags are going to cost me maybe $10-15/year so I'm not bothered by that.

Very happy with my purchase. I went with the Miele U1. The sound is much quieter and...I can't describe it really, it just sounds so much more solid. All canister vacuums, including Dysons, sound cheap (for lack of a better term).

Absolutely love my Dyson. And I never thought I'd use the word "love" when describing a vacuum. I'm a Dyson owner for life from here on out.

v1lla21

I had a Dyson dc33 and it was wonderful. Second best vacuum next to the old Kirby my mom had. IMO they are worth it since they suck well and are bagless. They'll last long too.

YoungFa

I did research for months and ended up going with a Miele. Everything I read convinced me that no canister vacuum can match a good bagged one, both in suction and filtering. Miele bags are going to cost me maybe $10-15/year so I'm not bothered by that.

Very happy with my purchase. I went with the Miele U1. The sound is much quieter and...I can't describe it really, it just sounds so much more solid. All canister vacuums, including Dysons, sound cheap (for lack of a better term).

This. Dysons and similar build vacuums just lack in sucking power. I actually find them more tedious to clean. And yeah, Miele is very sturdy.

I have had Dysons before. I have preferred sharks tho. They do just as good but cheaper.

DJ_Lae

Dyson is the Apple of the vacuum world. Also, bagless vacuums really aren't that great at trapping small particles, as much as they try and advertise their way around it.

If you love your mother, you will tell her to get a Miele. Or a Riccar vacuum if you love America a lot.

Miele are awesome. I'm currently rocking an almost 15 year old Samsung, but when it dies I'm buying a Miele for sure.

Volotaire

Although I am ignorant about the suction power and other performance parameters relative to other vacuums, I can say that the larger initial cost is worth the investment with my experience. My parent's Dyson lasted 10 years. Other vaccums I and my household have used have not come close to this lifetime.

Moreover, like some other vacuums, there is no extra cost in purchasing hoover bags that increases costs. Think of it as an investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom