• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

Don

iapetus said:
Sony wins the E3 conference battle for me, because:

1) Everybody else lost harder. Microsoft traded everything for a port of a game I was going to be able to get anyway (nice for their e-peen, worthless to multi-platform gamers), and Nintendo demonstrated with Wii Music that either they've gone off the rails completely, or they're geniuses but casual gamers deserve to die. Or possibly both.

2) A new Ratchet and Clank game is the only 'surprise' news from any of the big three that I actually care about.

3) Sales charts were interesting for the first time in seventeen years.

As always with E3 these days, though, it isn't really a question of winning. Just losing slightly less.

This is pretty much how i feel too. I own both the 360 and the PS3 so knowing that Final Fantasy XIII is on 2 systems that I own instead of 1 isn't very exciting.

iapetus said:

1) Everybody else lost harder. Microsoft traded everything for a port of a game I was going to be able to get anyway (nice for their e-peen, worthless to multi-platform gamers), and Nintendo demonstrated with Wii Music that either they've gone off the rails completely, or they're geniuses but casual gamers deserve to die. Or possibly both.

2) A new Ratchet and Clank game is the only 'surprise' news from any of the big three that I actually care about.

As always with E3 these days, though, it isn't really a question of winning. Just losing slightly less.

what were the terms of said trade?

pr0cs

Truespeed said:
Do you think they'll check your IP or will they just be satisfied with the fake country you signed up with?
I don't know, I presume they'll check the credit card you attempt to buy content for but perhaps that will be a way to bypass the region bullshit.
I despise that each country has it's own rights ownership for media and that some countries won't ever get features like Netflix and video downloads.

Zoe

womfalcs3 said:
About that Google partnership... Jack said that there will be a "PS3" section on YouTube?

Videos uploaded through the PS3 have the PS3 logo in the details section.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TwinsDad said:
"With up to"??? I haven't watched it again, but just how many did they announce for 2008?

I'm saying 'up to' because I'm counting all the new PSN games shown today. (And again, I was counting the XBLA games shown at MS's conference in those counts). I think it's a fairly reasonable bet they'll come this year, but there's always the possibility of one or two of those PSN games not making it.

If you want me to be very conservative, I'd pare it back to 14 or 15 definites and 2 or 3 maybes. But I extended the benefit of the doubt to everyone else, so seems only fair to do the same here.

Kildace

TTG said:
I'm watching this thing on G4 and I gotta say, the first thing that jumps out at me is how much better this speaker is than the guy from MS.

Kudos to Sony for NOT putting on a cringeworthy show.

I agree that while I felt that MS's conference was better games-wise, Sony's conference was a much better show, Tretton was much more at ease than last year and the LBP sales charts was quite simply awesome.

Frillen

iapetus said:
Um. They announced nothing new and exciting, but had the FFXIII megaton, which as I said is of no real benefit to anyone who already has all the systems. From the MS conference thread:

When UNO RUSH is your exciting new game, and BANJO TWOOIE gets star billing (what a step down from Goldeneye...) you're not exactly enthusing me.

Obviously it wasn't a direct trade, but I'd have taken one or two MS announcements of genuinely interesting new games over the FFXIII title in a flash. Obviously FFXIII is exciting for those who love their RPGs but don't have a PS3, or for fanboys who only want to engage in e-dick-waving fights online. For the rest of us it's of no practical use at all.

The only new PS3 game was MAG, which was just CGI. Otherwise it was just a bunch of PSN crap and a Resistance spin off on a platform I don't care about.

Owzers

Kildace said:
I agree that while I felt that MS's conference was better games-wise, Sony's conference was a much better show, Tretton was much more at ease than last year and the LBP sales charts was quite simply awesome.

You didnt' mind that between every game and segment Tretton went on for a ten minute speech?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I have some friends in the industry and can tell you right now that the God of War 3 trailer you saw was all real-time and IN-GAME>

soldat7

Kildace said:
Tretton was much more at ease than last year and the LBP sales charts was quite simply awesome.

Tretton kept messing up his lines and he stuttered a lot. They really should have broken up the conference better. I felt bad for the poor guy.

BIG BUBBA said:
I have some friends in the industry and can tell you right now that the God of War 3 trailer you saw was all real-time and IN-GAME>

Hm...My mom told me to not believe everything I read on the internet...but I want to believe...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Frillen said:
The only new PS3 game was MAG, which was just CGI. Otherwise it was just a bunch of PSN crap and a Resistance spin off on a platform I don't care about.

I think anyone seeing you describe Ratchet & Clank as 'a bunch of PSN crap' can see where you're coming from on this one.

MAG fills me with whole waves of meh. Hey, I can play a shitty shooter game online with 255 dickwads instead of 15! Yay.

linsivvi

pr0cs said:
I don't know, I presume they'll check the credit card you attempt to buy content for but perhaps that will be a way to bypass the region bullshit.
I despise that each country has it's own rights ownership for media and that some countries won't ever get features like Netflix and video downloads.

The Playstation Store is not region locked. As long as you have a credit card that works on the US store, or with services like Entropay, you are gold.

Busty

Banned
I'm interested in that game Ragdoll Kung Fu:Fists Of Plastic that was shown for PSN. But do we know who's developing it? Could it Media Molecule?

Perhaps a small side project porting over their PC version?

clashfan

BIG BUBBA said:

Yeah that's why Trenton didn't say anything and let everyone think it's CG. :lol

Don

Frillen said:
FF13 was also just CGI but for most people that seems to be the highlight of the E3.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BIG BUBBA said:

Worst gameplay ever. A watching-buildings-fall-over sim.

Owzers

iapetus said:
I think anyone seeing you describe Ratchet & Clank as 'a bunch of PSN crap' can see where you're coming from on this one.

MAG fills me with whole waves of meh. Hey, I can play a shitty shooter game online with 255 dickwads instead of 15! Yay.

PSN stuff was probably the most interesting thing they showed. I was expecting them to show The Last Guy after Shane talked it up on 1up show or yours.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
iapetus said:

Sources tell me a bunch of guys from the Matrix Online team went over to Zipper to create MAG.

Has potential but I'll wait for gameplay footage and hands-on impressions. An FPS (or whatever this is) is a whole 'nother ballgame from your standard MMO shit, and I didn't find Planetside to be very compelling, from a mechanics POV.

And also... the name Massive Action Game. REALLY? :lol

linsivvi

Let me add that people who compare the conferences without including the PSP stuff are simply disingenuous. It's one thing you don't care about the platform, but a lot of people do, and it is part of the Sony conference.

It was a very solid conference from Sony this year. The crowd loved it when Jack did a "powerpoint" using LBP. I have to admit everybody there was expecting some really big news. Resistance on PSP peaked some oohs and ahhs. Resisante 2 looked awesome on the screens in HD and InFamous looked equally as gorgeous. The DC online game shows some promise but I wasn't sold. it reminded me alot of City of Heroes. I still don't know what they are going to do to seperate the two minus the DC universe.

Also the MAG game seems to be interesting. I beleive the trailer was in CG along with GOW3. I really wished they would have shown some ingame for GOW3 so many people were on the edge of their seats, when they didnt show gameplay grunts could be heard all over...overall solid performance by Sony. LBP is going to be awesome also the video service launch today was unexpected. Again everyone loved LBP!

iapetus said:
It's not that different from pretending Banjo Tooie was the star of the MS conference (Banjo Tooie wasn't even mentioned). Especially when friggin Geometry Wars 2 and FromTheMakersOfPacmanCE Galaga Legions were announced as coming in August.

Those two along with the religious Gears trailer redeemed entire conference, FFXIII be damned.

Truespeed

soldat7 said:
Tretton kept messing up his lines and he stuttered a lot. They really should have broken up the conference better. I felt bad for the poor guy.

Hm...My mom told me to not believe everything I read on the internet...but I want to believe...

I appreciate the way Tretton speaks. He seems like a very likable person with a self-deprecating sense of humor. Mattrick, on the other hand, portrayed himself like a Filter Queen salesman.

j-wood

You know, I think that Sony tried to make a statement here. They are branching out. They are taking risks to finance new games that have the chance to be great. Do some fail? Of course, LAIR and Heavenly Sword failed. Were some great? You bet, Resistance and Uncharted were fantastic. That's what happens when you take risks. They have sequels coming for their big games, but that isn't EVERYTHING.

Honestly guys, it's ballsy to say, we're gunna make a 256 player battle game on a console, with a free online system.

On the other hand, you have MS, who says HEY. We have the 13th game in a series on our system now. Go buy our console because it'll be the best!.

What risks has microsoft taken with IPs this generation?

Dont mistake this as a fanboy rant either. Is that big for MS, of course. But to say that Sony is failing is completely wrong.

Jonsoncao

Banned
j-wood said:
You know, I think that Sony tried to make a statement here. They are branching out. They are taking risks to finance new games that have the chance to be great. Do some fail? Of course, LAIR and Heavenly Sword failed. Were some great? You bet, Resistance and Uncharted were fantastic. That's what happens when you take risks. They have sequels coming for their big games, but that isn't EVERYTHING.

Honestly guys, it's ballsy to say, we're gunna make a 256 player battle game on a console, with a free online system.

On the other hand, you have MS, who says HEY. We have the 13th game in a series on our system now. Go buy our console because it'll be the best!.

new IPs most come from the 3rd party :lol

Truespeed said:
I appreciate the way Tretton speaks. He seems like a very likable person with a self-deprecating sense of humor. Mattrick, on the other hand, portrayed himself like a Filter Queen salesman.

In my opinion he is one of the better presenters he was very presentable and gave us some chuckles in the audience. I like him out of all of the Sony hats.

Truespeed

PIMPBYBLUD said:
It was a very solid conference from Sony this year. The crowd loved it when Jack did a "powerpoint" using LBP. I have to admit everybody there was expecting some really big news. Resistance on PSP peaked some oohs and ahhs. Resisante 2 looked awesome on the screens in HD and InFamous looked equally as gorgeous. The DC online game shows some promise but I wasn't sold. it reminded me alot of City of Heroes. I still don't know what they are going to do to seperate the two minus the DC universe.

Also the MAG game seems to be interesting. I beleive the trailer was in CG along with GOW3. I really wished they would have shown some ingame for GOW3 so many people were on the edge of their seats...overall solid performance by Sony. LBP is going to be awesome also the video service launch today was unexpected. Again everyone loved LBP!

I agree that they should have shown more GOW3 footage. Sony Santa Monica is one of the contributors to EDGE so it's evident they've been in development of the game for some time.

Dwayne

Don said:
FF13 was also just CGI but for most people that seems to be the highlight of the E3.

Not to mention, that since the 360 version isn't even in development yet, it must have been a video of the PS3 version.

dacuk

The amount of spin being shown here by Sony fanboys is amazing.

Microsoft won this one (as a sad Wii fan, I acknowledge this :( )

J2d

So what happened to Wipeout, did they forget about it? Here I was hoping it would show up on psn this week =(

oneHeero

Sony wins hand down. Showed a lot more interesting things. I didnt really care for demo's being shown, just trailers and info. Nintendo was lolable.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
PIMPBYBLUD said:
In my opinion he is one of the better presenters he was very presentable and gave us some chuckles in the audience. I like him out of all of the Sony hats.

well the man pretty much never left the stage.

That says like tons about his skillz.

Anyways I say microsoft wins the press conference game for presenting the biggest twist....and one of the most hilariously awkward presentations i've ever seen. It's campy-ness was so great...that it could be shown to a theater full of drag queens at 2 am on a Saturday night and get a standing ovation. Thank you Microsoft..... thank you.

clashfan

Truespeed said:

My corporate executive is better then your corporate executive...

Duxxy3

I like that sony has decided on just one person to speak for them at E3. Last year how many executives did they have up there? I remember jack, phil and kaz for sure.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
iapetus said:

My thoughts exactly. Iwatched all 3 conferences and all of them are full of meh-gatons. It is not a matter of who won, but a matter of who lost less hard.

j-wood said:

I was with you until the very last line. MS has been a great player this generation bringing alot of great products and services to the table. To specifically answer your question off the top of my head, here are a few MS published or created titles that were risks off the top of my head...

Viva Pinata
Scene It
Gear of Wars
Mass Effect
Crackdown
Kameo
Lost Odysssey
Blue Dragon

Top Bottom