• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008 Sony Conference

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
dai said:
no offense or anything, but i don't really care about that stuff.

If you care about having a diversified line-up of quality games you should care about competition. And if Sony is going that weak for a long time they might simply not be interesting enough to get big games. Developers already decided not to make games exclusive anymore (FFXIII) because the other console has a far greater userbase. And this means Sony could very well be too uninteresting for developers and sink in a few years (not the next 4 years though) as Sega did a few years back. (Its not that easy to get Sony to sink because of their other types of businesses etc but its not helping them either)
I am all for competition on that matter. Even if I dont own a PS3 and its awesome that I get to play FFXIII nonetheless.

J-Rzez

pr0cs said:
You think this year is worse than last year for the 360, I don't know man because I'm already worried how I'm going to sneak in so many games past my wife, easily as many games as last year. I guess if you're only counting exclusives but I think it's safe to say that a large majority of the 3rd party games are still going to perform better on the 360.

I bought a lot, probably the most games in a year ever last year. This year is looking slimmer, and especially on the 360. I have basically Fable 2 to look forward to. I'm not discounting Gears 2 being big, as many like it, but it looks like an extension of the first, which is not a good thing for me as I felt it was slow, boring, and online was broken. And I am talking exclusives as ports are rarely a great game. I'm sick and tired of these watered down games because the dev doesn't take advantage of each machine's hardware. Fallout? Looks fun. Guess what, it's on PC too, and that will be the definitive version by default. Far Cry 2? Ditto. I care less how those porter titles perform because of:
1. Fallout/Far Cry, PC-also titles with more emphasis on SP. My PC will play those games better than either console more than likely
2. I'll buy the game where more of my friends are playing IF i'm interested in it. If more of my PS3 friends are picking it up, i'll buy the PS3 version. If 360 friends more so, then 360 version it is. Unless there is a more than significant performance issue.

MS is throwing money away for exclusive windows on stuff like Rock Band 2 for Christ's sake, and so they can say "We got it now too" with other games. Get the new IP's out there. It pisses me off that the money is wasted like that, and it could've been thrown into new great exclusive games. Fable 2 and i guess Gears is an example what happens when a game is exclusive, they look head and shoulders above anything else on the machine. You can't say they don't. Problem is, MS doesn't have this. They don't have enough of the close 1st party devs on their side, and this is how Sony is winning me over. Infamous, Resistance, Warhawk, Uncharted, Ratchets, SOCOM, GoW, GT, now Zipper Int just laid a MEGATON down in the world of shooters, LBP... They ALL look killer, perform killer, and some are showing ground breaking potential like "MAG".

These are what I want from my 360. More Fables, more Dead Risings. Not a month window on Rock Band.

MS showed:
Lips = Singstar
Fallout = MP
RE5 = MP
FFXIII = MP (SO4 i hope SE pushes to the 360 limit, I love that series)
Eye Toy knock-off
Fable = great
Gears = great for those who actually liked the first.

And them losing Peter Moore for a speaker was bad. Now they keep getting these Phone you up at 8am Volcano Insurance/Mattress salesmen sounding people to speak which made their conf even worse. Not as horrid as Ninty's, but bad.

Oh man look how awesome my PS3 is, developers don't have to show games for it, they can just sit there and keep repeating how awesome it is......

-_______________________-

quest

Not Banned from OT
J-Rzez said:
I bought a lot, probably the most games in a year ever last year. This year is looking slimmer, and especially on the 360. I have basically Fable 2 to look forward to. I'm not discounting Gears 2 being big, as many like it, but it looks like an extension of the first, which is not a good thing for me as I felt it was slow, boring, and online was broken. And I am talking exclusives as ports are rarely a great game. I'm sick and tired of these watered down games because the dev doesn't take advantage of each machine's hardware. Fallout? Looks fun. Guess what, it's on PC too, and that will be the definitive version by default. Far Cry 2? Ditto. I care less how those porter titles perform because of:
1. Fallout/Far Cry, PC-also titles with more emphasis on SP. My PC will play those games better than either console more than likely
2. I'll buy the game where more of my friends are playing IF i'm interested in it. If more of my PS3 friends are picking it up, i'll buy the PS3 version. If 360 friends more so, then 360 version it is. Unless there is a more than significant performance issue.

MS is throwing money away for exclusive windows on stuff like Rock Band 2 for Christ's sake, and so they can say "We got it now too" with other games. Get the new IP's out there. It pisses me off that the money is wasted like that, and it could've been thrown into new great exclusive games. Fable 2 and i guess Gears is an example what happens when a game is exclusive, they look head and shoulders above anything else on the machine. You can't say they don't. Problem is, MS doesn't have this. They don't have enough of the close 1st party devs on their side, and this is how Sony is winning me over. Infamous, Resistance, Warhawk, Uncharted, Ratchets, SOCOM, GoW, GT, now Zipper Int just laid a MEGATON down in the world of shooters, LBP... They ALL look killer, perform killer, and some are showing ground breaking potential like "MAG".

These are what I want from my 360. More Fables, more Dead Risings. Not a month window on Rock Band.

MS showed:
Lips = Singstar
Fallout = MP
RE5 = MP
FFXIII = MP (SO4 i hope SE pushes to the 360 limit, I love that series)
Eye Toy knock-off
Fable = great
Gears = great for those who actually liked the first.

And them losing Peter Moore for a speaker was bad. Now they keep getting these Phone you up at 8am Volcano Insurance/Mattress salesmen sounding people to speak which made their conf even worse. Not as horrid as Ninty's, but bad.

Where is this proof MS gave money for RB2 1 month exclusive window? I think they could only get 1 platform up and running before GH4:WT launched. They had to choose between the 360 and PS3. They went with the platform that sold a hell of a lot more units of RB1 and has sold a lot more DLC.

The MS and money hats is starting to get old and tired.

quest

Not Banned from OT
el Diablo said:
I mean developers TOLD me how great the PS3 is, they didn't even have to SHOW me with gameplay they TOLD me and SHOWED some really slick CGI. .

QFTMFT

Sums up Sony's E3 perfectly.

Sean

Banned
It was a pretty boring conference IMO, though obviously coming right after Nintendo's shitacular conference it seemed a lot better. I don't own or care about the PSP and all the PS3 stuff they showed we already knew about.

- Resistance 2 gameplay demo was underwhelming. The interiors of the buildings just didn't look good - very simplistic and empty with poor lighting. All the player did was walk up stairs and walk down stairs. I think it was supposed to be "OH shit, this huge monster is chasing us and destroying these buildings" but I never got that feeling from watching it. Kind of a boring portion to demo. The trailer that played after it though was much more interesting.

- Some puzzling decisions made when it came to what games to showcase. Where was Killzone 2? What about MotorStorm 2, a game that's launching this year? Instead they show two CG trailers to games that are far away. And where was Wipeout PSN? Not in the montage and not a single mention.

- Ratchet Quest for Booty was probably the highlight of the show for me. It looked nice and has a reasonable price of $15.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Sean said:
It was a pretty boring conference IMO, though obviously coming right after Nintendo's shitacular conference it seemed a lot better. I don't own or care about the PSP and all the PS3 stuff they showed we already knew about.

- Resistance 2 gameplay demo was underwhelming. The interiors of the buildings just didn't look good - very simplistic and empty with poor lighting. All the player did was walk up stairs and walk down stairs. I think it was supposed to be "OH shit, this huge monster is chasing us and destroying these buildings" but I never got that feeling from watching it. Kind of a boring portion to demo. The trailer that played after it though was much more interesting.

- Some puzzling decisions made when it came to what games to showcase. Where was Killzone 2? What about MotorStorm 2, a game that's launching this year? Instead they show two CG trailers to games that are far away. And where was Wipeout PSN? Not in the montage and not a single mention.

- Ratchet Quest for Booty was probably the highlight of the show for me. It looked nice and has a reasonable price of $15.

Good analysis I agree. Resistance psp looked good but my psp got stolen, sadly.

Deuterium

Simply unbelievable some of the people here who think Sony beat Microsoft in this years E3.

On IGN's PS3 Forum (you know, where most of the Sony fans hang out), they have a poll thread asking who won E3. In this poll (on the PS3 boards), they have Microsoft winning by a 2 to 1 margin. Did I mention that this is on the IGN PS3 board?

Nuff said.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Deuterium said:
Simply unbelievable some of the people here who think Sony beat Microsoft in this years E3.

On IGN's PS3 Forum (you know, where most of the Sony fans hang out), they have a poll thread asking who won E3. In this poll (on the PS3 boards), they have Microsoft winning by a 2 to 1 margin. Did I mention that this is on the IGN PS3 board?

Nuff said.
Thanks for the update, but we're too busy gathering more info on Sony's games.

Replicant

el Diablo said:
I mean developers TOLD me how great the PS3 is, they didn't even have to SHOW me with gameplay they TOLD me and SHOWED some really slick CGI. Obviously my disappointment yesterday was an overreaction since i'm obviously playing the wrong genres of games. Clearly FPS are the way to go since that's where they're sinking all their time and money. If sh*t ain't blowing up and you aren't running around killing stuff it's clearly not worth playing.

You just summed up my disappointment well. Sony needs to learn how to secure their exclusive and to start getting those JRPGs. I don't understand why they bother to do another FPS with that MAG game instead of throwing some decent RPGs in.

vpance

I think alot of stuff wasnt shown cuz devs are just trying to finish the game, and not have to take the time to build a demo.

Onemic

Deuterium said:

Nuff said.

It's like this. MS won in terms of announcing features towards their hardware and Sony won in terms of showing of some 1st party games.

I'd say it was more of a tie than anything else, with the FFXIII confirmation on 360, giving MS a bit of an edge, but not much.

le.phat

Deuterium said:

Nuff said.

you sure about that ? maybe you should spend the rest of your night in the IGN ps3 boards, you know, to be EXTRA sure MS is "winning" (?).

GOW3 unveil was completely useless, like, awkwardly useless.

Hey! A new Planetside, sounds cool but as with the GOW3 teaser, CG = fucking pointless.

Not a god awful conference but certainly not a good one.

Guled

winning E3 at this point means nothing. E3 is just a shell of its former shell, for god sakes GDC was better this year and its not a game show

el Diablo

Banned
Gasgul said:
I want MAG,

I want to have sex with MAG,

Please let me have sex with MAG,

Just make sure that when you do, you make it use one of these. Remember, safety first.

34fz2c6.jpg

Sony should stop Jack Tretton from making long speeches...

I was hoping Sony would announce something that would personally get me more interested in the first party line-up for the PS3 but I feel a tad disappointed now...

And -1 hype for Resistance 2... i'll still buy it but didn't look that great, and very scripted...

That said.

I wasn't interested in LBP before, but now I have more interest, and SS:p = win.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Deuterium said:

Nuff said.
That's not unbelievable...that board is so full of trolls that I left a long time ago.

Bearillusion said:
I said last week that E3 will be disappointing. Was I wrong?
Yes, mostly. This E3 has destroyed last year's. It's probably better overall than 2006 too. Sony and MS both had solid lineups with pleasant enough surprises all around, EA is kicking severe ass, SE dropped the bomb, and Nintendo has descended into hilarious insanity. This has been a great E3 and it hasn't even started yet.

Riddick

Deuterium said:

Nuff said.

Sony conference had more game content and a couple new game announcements, Microsoft conference was bad with no new 1st party games but with the megaton and the Nintendo one was plain terrible.

If you care about your epenis more Microsoft won. If you care about games Sony won. They were both mediocre though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The scripted talk with Resistance boggles my mind. Looking at all of the bigger FPS series, they were/are ALL scripted at points. Why is this such an issue now?

Owzers

Kintaro said:
The scripted talk with Resistance boggles my mind. Looking at all of the bigger FPS series, they were/are ALL scripted at points. Why is this such an issue now?

Because it didnt' look fun, it almost looked like the game's A.I. was broken or that the huge monster only existed to stand around doing nothing. Which, considering this is a video game, really really blows.

Loudninja

Kintaro said:

That what I was going to say,its funny how its all of a sudden a problem now.

Kintaro

sillymonkey321 said:
Because it didnt' look fun, it almost looked like the game's A.I. was broken or that the huge monster only existed to stand around doing nothing. Which, considering this is a video game, really really blows.

It looked fucking fun to me! :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just finished watching an archive video of the Sony Conference, very professionally orchestrated I thought, no really big announcements but there certainly was allot of titles on display, you can't deny Sony still have a hell of allot of decent exclusives under their belt, there was just game after game being shown, tbh I felt that they needed at least another hour really to be able to go into certain games in more detail, overall I thought it was a solid show from Sony, they seem to be aiming to please the core gamer which is cool.

All I recall from the Microsoft conference game-wise was Gears of War & Fable 2 and a few crap arcade titles ?, all the rest were multi-platform releases, their biggest announcement of the show that everybody is calling 'The Megaton' FFXIII, even that is multi-platform, that say's allot in my eyes, I really do feel the 360 is lacking in exclusive titles over the next 12 months I really do.

PuMa

Deuterium said:

Nuff said.

Have you been to any IGN forums? If you had, you would realize that half of the people on the PS3 forums are Xbot fanboys preaching Gears and Halo and bashing PS3, and half of the people on the Xbox forums are PS3 fanboys bashing the 360.

Not that I disagree though...

Not sure how MS won anything really with FF13. Great if you only own a 360 and want to play it no doubt but the PS3 is still getting the game and it is still exclusive in Japan were it matters the most.

J-Rzez

quest said:
Where is this proof MS gave money for RB2 1 month exclusive window? I think they could only get 1 platform up and running before GH4:WT launched. They had to choose between the 360 and PS3. They went with the platform that sold a hell of a lot more units of RB1 and has sold a lot more DLC.

The MS and money hats is starting to get old and tired.

You honestly believe a game like Rock Band would take significantly more time to dev up on the PS3? I understand certain companies with higher profile tech pushing games saying so, but Rock Band 2? I don't believe that for one second.

I said last week that E3 will be disappointing. Was I wrong?

I think so. Infamous, Fable 2, MAG were worth it I believe, seeing more of them in action, and in MAG's case, the announcement of it being the daddy of all large scale warfare games and being dev'd by Zipper was awesome. Just like last year, more and more gameplay vids of stuff will be showing up too as the week goes on, so E3 will be a couple good times to say the least.

el Diablo

Banned
J2 Cool said:
Just a question from someone who hasn't been following this E3 very closely..

Where's Team ICO's PS3 game?

The same place that Bigfoot and the Lockness Monster go to for happy hour.

Bearillusion said:
Not sure how MS won anything really with FF13. Great if you only own a 360 and want to play it no doubt but the PS3 is still getting the game and it is still exclusive in Japan were it matters the most.

Eh if it was multi-plat in Japan the PS3 version would still outsell the 360 version 20:1. Where it mattered most was every other territory.

mozfan12

Banned
The conference was "meh" but the quality of titles is there at least. And a teaser trailer of GoW 3 helps no one without any gameplay as the game was already announced.

^ thats an awesome avatar, el diablo

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kintaro said:

Think of a halo 3 comparison. When you fight the scarab you can kill it in any way possible... shooting it a lot, climbing on it, attacking it with a plane, etc...

resistance 2 footage showed you attacking a big monster in a very cinematic way... but it was all pointless... every bullet you hit it with is pointless, you just have to run down a path, get grabbed, tossed, and then you continue along the level... it seems very linear as supposed to interactive..

personally, i was dissapointed.

J2 Cool

el Diablo said:
The same place that Bigfoot and the Lockness Monster go to for happy hour.

ech. They were productive and out there on PS2. No reason to imagine them this generation's squaresoft.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just got done watching the conference. Pretty average overall. Missing the one key game i would have loved to see (ico stuff) and completely failed on their MAG game showing with a stupid CG trailer. The video store stuff was painfully old when compared to the competition, and they didnt even show any GOW 3 gameplay. The one thing i could take from the conference that actually has me excited is the premise of 256 players, but really, we have no clue how good that will turn out.

Microsoft totally won this one.

Kintaro

sillymonkey321 said:
I think i saw the 20 story monster stop at a red light on his way through traffic to your character.

You're right. It should be an impossible battle. One you can never win. It should throw you across the city and instantly teleport to where you are Dragon Ball Z style. Or kill you instantly. In that building? It crushes it from the top on down burying you alive.

Or, you can take the stick out of your anus and just enjoy a fun fight with a big ass monster.

Top Bottom