• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2011 Nintendo Press Conference Thread: What's in your coffee? [Over]

upandaway

EvilMario said:
Reggie said that they wanted to keep the conference focused on a few key points, when asked about why they failed to show a bunch of titles. I don't agree with it at all. They should give time to every title they had ready, and it looks like they had quite a bit of 3DS titles that could have had at least five minutes each.

Alas, at least Nintendo's conference don't drag very much if they avoid sales figures.
I would be fine with Reggie's idea if he actually did focus on key parts. But it's not just that they ignored unannounced games - they wasted so many minutes each on games we already know about, like Kid Icarus and Mario Kart. It's completely illogical.

It's some kind of weird double standard. Kirby Wii and not worth mentioning, but Star Fox 64 and Luigi's Mansion is getting a full blown minutes-long showing? The priorities are kind of silly.

Well whatever. It shouldn't really matter what Nintendo excluded from the conference, as long as they showed it somewhere.

Marbles

Has there been any more info on that Lego game? Screens? Anything?
And what about last nights round table...did anything new come out of it?

Too many Wii U threads with info spread all over.

upandaway

Marbles said:
Has there been any more info on that Lego game? Screens? Anything?
And what about last nights round table...did anything new come out of it?
Nothing about the lego game as far as I know, I think they just started development for that.

Regarding the round table, a lot of info about Skyward Sword, a Zelda level in Mario, Pikmin moved to Wii U.. and some other small things. There should be a summary on the big sites like IGN.

Marbles

upandaway said:
Nothing about the lego game as far as I know, I think they just started development for that.

Regarding the round table, a lot of info about Skyward Sword, a Zelda level in Mario, Pikmin moved to Wii U.. and some other small things. There should be a summary on the big sites like IGN.

AR Pikmin confirmed! :p

Mantorok

Does Nintendo need reminding about a console that was launched in 2000 with screens in the controllers, the one that failed miserably...?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mantorok said:
Does Nintendo need reminding about a console that was launched in 2000 with screens in the controllers, the one that failed miserably...?

Oh so Dreamcast failed because of the controller did it? Anyway, the WiiU pad is light years ahead in tech.

The whole reveal felt like it was six months too early. Like, that Zelda demo hints at the fact the machine is a potential monster. There was NO running footage of high-end games until the next day, and they looked kinda lame.

The most telling part? Compare this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcHE_aIgHds

They absolutely could have shown the same amount of material in a more confident, direct way. Everything, from Reggie's speech, to the running of the event, to the sequence, to the finish of the promo video - everything is a step below. Everything is timid, constrained, incomplete. I would have been okay with a 'coming to TGS and to homes in 2012' and a little showreel. What they have now is simultaneously too much and not enough.

I am still massively excited for it, but I feel like a bad corner was turned this week, and I don't think I'm the only one. Reggie's flinching at questions on GTTV was depressing. It was a bummer if nothing else.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mantorok said:
You mean the one that was being produced and sold by a company that was hemorrhaging money for YEARS after several total financial and marketshare flops and going up against a console that was already announced and imminent?

stilgar

Wolves Evolve said:
The whole reveal felt like it was six months too early. Like, that Zelda demo hints at the fact the machine is a potential monster. There was NO running footage of high-end games until the next day, and they looked kinda lame.

The most telling part? Compare this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcHE_aIgHds

' and a little showreel. What they have now is simultaneously too much and not enough.

:p I had forget how crazy was Nintendo E3 2006. Myiamoto dancing with the orchestra while the other guys mimick playing...so great.

Mantorok

Ushojax said:
Oh so Dreamcast failed because of the controller did it? Anyway, the WiiU pad is light years ahead in tech.

My tongue was firmly in cheek when I said that, damn the internet!

Melchiah

Since Nintendo doesn't really have a much of expertise on more mature games, will the 3rd party titles, which will mostly be available on PS3 and 360 as well, be enough to draw the so called hardcore crowd, or players who don't care that much about the traditional Nintendo titles (like me)? And will the graphical differences between PS3/360 and Wii U be so noticeable, that it would make people buy the system on that basis alone? I'm a bit skeptical about whether the 3rd party developers are willing to spend precious man-hours to make Wii U versions shine, when there's no guarantee it will result in increased sales.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh that mature card again... Of course unless you mean "mature" as in blood and gore.

Didn't Nintendo develop Eternal Darkness?

Sagitario

Ookami-kun said:
Oh that mature card again... Of course unless you mean "mature" as in blood and gore.

Didn't Nintendo develop Eternal Darkness?

Silicon Knight did (2nd party developer at that time).

[Nintex]

This conference was weird in some way. What Nintendo should've done was a seperate Zelda conference for all their 25th anniversary news. The series is large enough to support such an event. They could've used their 'hour of fame' to discuss the Wii U, actually show the box instead of the controller and show all 3DS/Wii titles but then again, I usually like about the Nintendo conferences that it only gets better once they end. You go on their E3 site and it's like, wat? If Iwata didn't let the cat out of the bag at the investors conference than we would've seen Kirby Wii for the first time at E3.

wsippel

Banned
[Nintex] said:
This conference was weird in some way. What Nintendo should've done was a seperate Zelda conference for all their 25th anniversary news. The series is large enough to support such an event. They could've used their 'hour of fame' to discuss the Wii U, actually show the box instead of the controller and show all 3DS/Wii titles but then again, I usually like about the Nintendo conferences that it only gets better once they end. You go on their E3 site and it's like, wat? If Iwata didn't let the cat out of the bag at the investors conference than we would've seen Kirby Wii for the first time at E3.
The conference was weird in many ways, and I believe that's primarily because they made lots of last minute changes, especially regarding the WiiU unveiling. I think lots of stuff got pulled for some reason. Nintendo had two WiiU techdemos and only showed a small part of an older version of one demo. There were at least two more game demos ready for E3, both were pulled (after Vigil worked five weeks, seven days a week, to get it done in time for E3). Contra was supposed to be unveiled at E3 - didn't happen. There was supposed to be an Epic related announcement during the conference - didn't happen either. Very weird...

Top Bottom