• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2012: PlayStation partnering with "leading cloud gaming service"?

Withnail

That whole article just reads like guesswork to me. But still, I don't think it would be a huge surprise if this happened. I also expect MS to offer cloud streaming before too long (probably next gen).

Dave Long

Banned
Hmmm... after having a look again, the guy runs onlivefans.com which is an unofficial site. So I guess it's not as confirmed as I thought. Still, he seems to be connected with the company somehow, so I would certainly believe this is real.

Derrick01

Banned
Of course he was. It's Sony and not Nintendo.

I'm not interested in it either. I don't want to have to deal with streaming anything, just give me the much better quality download. I don't even care if it's free for PS+ members I still probably won't make much use of it.

Boss Man

I'm not interested in it either. I don't want to have to deal with streaming anything, just give me the much better quality download. I don't even care if it's free for PS+ members I still probably won't make much use of it.
Personally I think it sounds like a bad idea regardless of who's doing it. I'm not interested in paying for streaming anything at all, be it games, movies or music. I prefer to own something physically tangible, so digital content is something I'll only buy if a) it's not readily available as a physical release (like DD games off PSN, Alex Kidd etc.) or b) it's prohibitively expensive to get a physical copy (old PC/PS1 games or CDs that have been out of print for years). If this is Sony's big surprise for E3, it's a surprise that is of no interest to me.
That's fine and dandy, some people just don't trust DD. Personally, I think this service could be extremely useful and handy to have- but who knows how they'll implement it (if it's even true). It's definitely a wait-and-see thing, but I think it has a whole lot of potential.

There's a big difference between that and this though:
Yep the future of Vita is pretty cloudy.
Yes I don't see how can someone be excited for this. It's like, awesome, now I don't own my games anymore!
Oh I got it now. It is useful to play graphics demanding game on lower specced systems. Are you sure the controls are perfectly responsible?
Still, I wouldn't want to invest money in a 100% virtual game collection. Plus, you can't sell anything or share with your friends. There's more drawbacks than advantages.
Dude didn't even know what the technology is, he just hopped in here because he saw the word Playstation. The sad thing is I doubt he even realizes it.

jcm

If it affects the current deal I'm getting with PS+ (i.e. games I download onto my own hardware), then yes. I don't want to lose access to the games I get via PS+ because I'm facing an internet outage.

There's also the bigger picture thing. Cloud gaming is just the worst form of DRM imaginable, and unless it's merely a compliment to the superior option of running it locally, it should be resisted by gamers.

One man's "worst form of DRM imaginable" is another man's convenient service.

Fabrik

Banned
That's fine and dandy, some people just don't trust DD. Personally, I think this service could be extremely useful and handy to have- but who knows how they'll implement it (if it's even true). It's definitely a wait-and-see thing, but I think it has a whole lot of potential.

There's a big difference between that and this though:

Dude didn't even know what the technology is, he just hopped in here because he saw the word Playstation. The sad thing is I doubt he even realizes it.

You bolded the wrong part!

Fabrik said:
Still, I wouldn't want to invest money in a 100% virtual game collection. Plus, you can't sell anything or share with your friends

BTW, it would have been Nintendo or Microsoft I would have said the same thing.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
dont see how this is a big deal. is diablo 3 on onlive?

So does this mean the PS3 could be able to play "next-gen" games running on high end PC hardware, streamed to the console?

I guess bandwidth is going to be the limiting factor.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
nuke.jpg

patsu

The problem with using this for full PS3 BC on a PS4 is that no one has an emulator for PS3 on PC, let alone one that would be cost effective :)

But all those other things are not difficult to imagine. Could see a cavalcade of cloud-based content and features for PSN if PS4 is fully PC-based - pretty much everything short of letting you play 'full' games fully off the cloud (unless you're remote playing them from a Vita or whatever).

If they wanted to be even gutsier they could make all games available either a) streaming off the cloud b) as a downloadable c) on a disc. But unless they can work out a favourable model for the first option (to them), I dunno if they'd do that...initially at least. But I think they should set up their licenses to allow them to do that in the future.

Technically speaking, they could house PS3s as servers (for PS3 games of course), just like Warhawk did.

The PSN OnLive/Gaikai move will also allow them to reach a different segment of users.

PS4 will continue to serve the current core console gamers, while having access to this new service.

It could be either OnLive or Gaikai at this point. Sony's Xperia Play has customised controls for the OnLive player app so an OnLive app on PS Vita would make sense.

However, Gaikai specializes in creating white-label cloud gaming services and also has a progressive download tech (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...me_arsenal.php) in addition to their cloud gaming tech. Gaikai also is also working with TV manufacturers to include cloud gaming into HDTVs. Sony also is in the TV business and Gaikai has already partnered with LG (http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/26...pictures-video).

Also, Gaikai has partnered with Geforce GRID to reduce latency and enable better cloud gaming quality (http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/15/3022233/nvidia-geforce-grid-gtc-2012). Gaikai also has a lot more datacenters than OnLive and has arguably less lag and better picture quality (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive)

I wouldn't mind if it's either, but I'm secretly hoping it's Gaikai because they also have their progressive download tech which could allow people to play games almost instantly while downloading them in the background.

I wonder if this means Onlive would be able to stream ps3 games.

I guess like remote play on pc/mobile devices only its good unlike current remote play.

Actually this might be whats been holding up the opening up of remote play on Vita. Hasnt sony that they will let you play every game "soon".

Maybe remote play is gonna get some OnLive rebranding and be powered by there tech so it actually works.

patsu

So... Games Unlimited ? Right after Video and Music Unlimited. If they do this, then it'd be covered under the Sony Entertainment Network umbrella, instead of PSN.

I don't think you guys understand how big this could be. It could allow you to play 360 and PC games on your PS3 (for a charge of course) and I do not think MS would be able to stop it.

Personally I think it sounds like a bad idea regardless of who's doing it. I'm not interested in paying for streaming anything at all, be it games, movies or music. I prefer to own something physically tangible, so digital content is something I'll only buy if a) it's not readily available as a physical release (like DD games off PSN, Alex Kidd etc.) or b) it's prohibitively expensive to get a physical copy (old PC/PS1 games or CDs that have been out of print for years). If this is Sony's big surprise for E3, it's a surprise that is of no interest to me.

Personally I hope it IS the big surprise.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Technically speaking, they could house PS3s as servers (for PS3 games of course), just like Warhawk did.

Sure, yeah, but running and maintenance cost per-user vs the PC boxes would be...? Bad? OK?

Maybe Sony could come up with souped-up PS3 based servers that could be competitive.

But exposing software that can be run easily on commodity cloud hardware that's already there and that can be leveraged across multiple domains and applications seems like the low hanging fruit anyway. It's going to be much cheaper for the likes of Sony to have software that can work on that vanilla hardware alongside others' vs needing single-platform special boxes (again, possibly a plus point in Sony's thoughts about the move to x86 with PS4...easy hosting of classes of PS4 software on the cloud).

So... Games Unlimited ? Right after Video and Music Unlimited. If they do this, then it'd be covered under the Sony Entertainment Network umbrella, instead of PSN.

Yeah, with the PS Suite touch-screen control overlays etc. there seems no reason why a service like this wouldn't be exposed on PS Suite devices too. It would probably become a pretty universal part of SEN like music and video unlimited. Your Bravia might have access out of the box in the future.

The PSN OnLive/Gaikai move will also allow them to reach a different segment of users.

PS4 will continue to serve the current core console gamers, while having access to this new service.

They could just use 60gb type models so they have ps1, ps2, and ps3 covered.

I guess its good for people want this sort of thing, but this personally does not interest me. I don't want to have to pay for PS+ just to be able to play my games. I also don't like the idea of having to be online to stream the game to be able to play it.

i-Lo

This would definitely solve the b/c issue.

The problem with full scale implementation is that the proliferation rate of this tech will be limited give our current state of broadband technology (speed and more importantly bandwidth cap).

Still, I wouldn't want to invest money in a 100% virtual game collection. Plus, you can't sell anything or share with your friends.

Why would you want to invest money in gaming collections?

You stream a game, finish it in 10 hours (pretty much every this gen non-RPG title) and you are done. Move on to the next title.

Somehow I believe Microsoft WOULD be able to stop it.

How? By contract?

What if OnLive buys 1000 copies of Halo 4 for their 360 farms and then allow streaming them to PC/ PS3 users? You'd get a max 1000 people playing queue of course but say this is only for testing the waters. Many PS3 users would want to try Halo 4 without buying a 360.

I'm only speculating mind you, IANAL. Maybe MS already disallows for streaming in their EULAs.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pc games on ps3 and vita using gaikai? Awesome but impossible imo, more like gaikai based service to make vita's remote play possible with every single ps3 game.

patsu

How? By contract?

What if OnLive buys 1000 copies of Halo 4 for their 360 farms and then allow streaming them to PC/ PS3 users? You'd get a max 1000 people playing queue of course but say this is only for testing the waters.

They revised the Windows license agreement when OnLive tried to serve Windows to their users. After that, I think OnLive revised their service to get around it again. I'd say MS will have some say in this. They can tweak the license agreement until they are happy with the outcome.

Why would you want to invest money in gaming collections?

You stream a game, finish it in 10 hours (pretty much every this gen non-RPG title) and you are done. Move on to the next title.
agreed. I'm really only interested in owning titles I'll be playing for many hours, most games this gen can be completed in 7-10, MAX maybe 15.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
How? By contract?

What if OnLive buys 1000 copies of Halo 4 for their 360 farms and then allow streaming them to PC/ PS3 users? You'd get a max 1000 people playing queue of course but say this is only for testing the waters. Many PS3 users would want to try Halo 4 without buying a 360.

I'm only speculating mind you, IANAL. Maybe MS already disallows for streaming in their EULAs.

A company would be quite insane to allow their competitors to stream their games on another system is what I mean. I'm sure MS have protected themselves quite well. Nintendo too. I would love to see OnLive or Gaikai try it though. They would get lawyer nuked from orbit just to tie drain them of money.

patsu

Sure, yeah, but running and maintenance cost per-user vs the PC boxes would be...? Bad? OK?

Maybe Sony could come up with souped-up PS3 based servers that could be competitive.

But exposing software that can be run easily on commodity cloud hardware that's already there and that can be leveraged across multiple domains and applications seems like the low hanging fruit anyway. It's going to be much cheaper for the likes of Sony to have software that can work on that vanilla hardware alongside others' vs needing single-platform special boxes (again, possibly a plus point in Sony's thoughts about the move to x86 with PS4...easy hosting of classes of PS4 software on the cloud).

They will need to design a custom PS3 box (to up the density for a rack environment) if they go with this approach.

Then again, if it's a SEN business move, then PS3 compatibility can be achieved by porting the games over to new server architecture over time. Like how they handled PS2 HD collections.

A company would be quite insane to allow their competitors to stream their games on another system is what I mean. I'm sure MS have protected themselves quite well. Nintendo too. I would love to see OnLive or Gaikai try it though. They would get lawyer nuked from orbit just to tie drain them of money.

Yeah probably. Would be a fun experiment, though.

How? By contract?

even if they all used onlive, i'm sure the services would lock 1st party games to each specific service.

... but ... what's with all teh specs rumors of PS4 then? Could it be possible they would do both? Cause if i don't have internet, it wouldnt be possible to play games right?

patsu

As long as a PC can run the game, it's not so difficult to port a 360/PS3 game to PC I reckon. So their business moves will pose a challenge, but may not be effective in the long run.

Glix

I thought the whole point of streaming was for under powered boxes that can't run what you want to play...

I can't ever imagine the makers of a set-spec box doing this EVER for any reason ever, unless they weren't making a system for the next gen. I mean, don't companies complain about the cost of releasing patches?? This would be 1000000x that expense.

patsu

I thought the whole point of streaming was for under powered boxes that can't run what you want to play...

I can't ever imagine the makers of a set-spec box doing this EVER for any reason ever, unless they weren't making a system for the next gen. I mean, don't companies complain about the cost of releasing patches?? This would be 1000000x that expense.

Personally, it sounds more like a SEN announcement, which means PSN and Playstation world still get to roll their own. That way the Playstation team aren't tied down by the low h/w specs or bandwidth.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
... but ... what's with all teh specs rumors of PS4 then? Could it be possible they would do both?

I think they've already addressed this themselves.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/19/house-still-some-significant-barriers-to-streaming-solutions/

Sony is keen on the idea of streaming and cloud-based games services, but doesn’t feel the tech is ready for triple-A experiences yet.

“For the very highest quality high-definition console gaming, I think there are still some significant barriers to streaming solutions,” SCE boss Andrew House told CVG in an interview dating back to E3 2011.

“I think we are a way away from being able to deliver the full-on top-end experience like that. The scale of data involved and issues around latency do mean that, at least for now, the easiest consumer experience is from physical media.”

That’s not to say Sony is sitting back and waiting the online reovlution pass it by.

“Whether it’s in mobile or cloud-based services, there are opportunities there for more casual content and in our case potentially for legacy content, which we would definitely like to explore,” the executive added.

So they still need a PS4 for the top end game experiences running off a local box.

But for 'casual' stuff and older content? I think that's what this is about.

Plus also, perhaps, streaming of PS4 demos and maybe PS4 PSN games. And maybe remote play of PS4 games you own on Vita, running off a machine closer to you rather than your own home machine.

In other words, PS4 will blend both worlds I think.

Boss Man

You bolded the wrong part!
You came to the conclusion that it was bad (and trolled Vita) before you even knew what it was. Later, when you learned a little bit about what it actually is, you continued to dismiss it. The latter isn't bad, but the former shows that it was predetermined for you either way. It doesn't matter, it's not exactly an uncommon thing.

Don't you just LOVE pre-E3 times?

It's better then E3 itself

Cloud gaming kinda sucks for me and most core gamers, but this could be huge for everyone else.

Btw guys, Clould gaming on PS4, could that theoretically mean Backwards compatibility with PS1 PS2 AND PS3? Could they adapt the PS3 to render for cloud gaming?

It's probably easier then software emulation.

Top Bottom