• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation won the console war, will Xbox let them win cloud gaming too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidus12

Don't make console war threads.
By Xbox journalist, Jez Corden:

During the Kinda Funny XCast interview before the Xbox "not E3" event in June, Microsoft Gaming CEO and Xbox lead Phil Spencer conceded that the division couldn't "out console" Sony PlayStation. Sony's lead in the so-called "high-end" console market has extended to 2:1 according to most reports, and could conceivably extend further still to 3:1 in the coming years based on current trends.

With PlayStation's victory in this generation all but assured already, perhaps Microsoft could find wins elsewhere, right? Microsoft is a cloud-first company, with Azure making up the bulk of its envious profit margins in recent years. Stands to reason the firm would be an industry leader in cloud gaming, right?

Not content with beating Microsoft in this area, PlayStation has now begun rolling out 4K streaming to cloud beta testers. With Xbox Cloud Gaming, at best you can get 1080p streaming. And sure, 4K streaming may not be ideal for most home network conditions, but if Sony can leapfrog Microsoft with technology delivery as well in this area, it presents an existential crisis for Xbox.

Frustration must be killing him 😂

Source:

I think until Sony is able to implement their cloud services beyond just the console theres not much to worry about. Xbox is a few years ahead of the competition in those areas. If I was sony I'd implement my cloud system to all sony tvs as a plus but since they are tied to the box I doubt they would.

Harrison Ford 4Chan GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1080p is already 3GB per hour. 4K is 14 GB per hour.

Not really something I'm interested in ever using. Series S isn't even 4K. Sony can have the win. I think it's not that practical for people, especially if your main market is the US where a lot of data caps still exist.

Codes 208

If you want only numbers, Nintendo won. If you look for services, Microsoft wins. PlayStation has the name and big exclusives, but they're not really wining the war... Because there's not really one happening in first place
Theres a war of mindshare and sony’s advantage there is so large its no longer funny.

I mean, you could say Xbox is already beating Sony in that area but people is just not interested, and a big part of the world is not ready for streaming yet (connection stabilty-wise).

mrmustard

Banned
So Nintendo does not exist? Also Microsoft is not even trying to sell as many consoles as possible since like 6 years or so.

killatopak

Maybe. Unfortunately, Cloud or streaming games isn’t something I care about in the slightest and I’ve made my stance about it very clear here. A game streaming future is a future I am not part of.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nintendo won that one too. The only mascots more recognizable than mario are either Jesus christ or mickey mouse

I don't think Sony views Nintendo as a threat due to their lack of graphics and computational prowess. They can happily share the success. I will buy a switch for my little daughter soon as well.

Also Nintendo is lagging 2 gens behind, more like a retro machine.

Last edited:
I don't like playing "in the cloud" at all, but it is curious that MS can only offer 1080p in xcloud with its servers (I think they had x-series chips) and Sony comes and streams you at 4K.

Vox Machina

Banned
What a silly article. Xbox already has a service that they sell to customers. And, personally 4k streaming seems like a red-herring when most customers of streaming services will probably end up using them on handhelds in the future anyways, where a 1080/1440p stream is more than enough for the screen sizes those games will be shown on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom