• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2017 Construction/Show Floor photos emerging

I'm not that excited this year. Its probably the least exciting E3 ever for me. I couldn't care less about anything Xbox related and I doubt Nintendo will have any meaningful reveals.

I feel like there's been so many leaks this year for everyone there's not much less to surprise us.

element

E3 floor builds are amazing, because they are SERIOUSLY not done until the last min before the doors open. I remember picking my exhibitor badge up after press conferences and some booths weren't 50% setup yet. Totally insane how quick they get everything finalized.

6ufIgqV.png
The face of E3 2017

Fuck me, some of these gifs got me good. Well done GAF.
On a related note: CHOO CHOOO ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN IT AINT GONNA STOP ANYTIME SOON SO HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS

Hydrus

I'm not that excited this year. Its probably the least exciting E3 ever for me. I couldn't care less about anything Xbox related and I doubt Nintendo will have any meaningful reveals.

I haven't been very excited either, but I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those stealth E3's were it ends up kicking everyone's ass.

mishakoz

I work in the industry, if anyone has questions about convention builds/tech and such let me know. I've done E3 booths in the past and designed a few a year.

I work in the industry, if anyone has questions about convention builds/tech and such let me know. I've done E3 booths in the past and designed a few a year.

How long does it take a medium/big booth to go from nothing to fully set up? And how many people would be involved? Dunno if this is a stupid question, thanks.

mishakoz

How long does it take a medium/big booth to go from nothing to fully set up? And how many people would be involved? Dunno if this is a stupid question, thanks.

The whole week. It's weird this year because I definitely remember E3 load in that didn't start till Monday or tuesday, one year it didn't begin till friday, so this is a lot of time.

The only thing happening right now besides stuff loading in the docks is rigging. Anything in the air gets done first, including the giant Activision signs for example, special light positions, hundreds of projectors, and motors that will hold up larger scenery and elements. Next is all the wall/booth construction, basically anything that needs to be built. everything happens in fairly discrete stages. Once the sets are built, everything will start to get carpetted beneath the sets, initial wiring, some lights go up in the catwalks. Projection begins it's mapping work one night after everyone leaves so it can get some dark time. This kind of stuff continues until more specialized stuff on Sunday, light get focused on objects and set, stautues and specialty "art" like the dark souls fountain will get put into place, touched up, etc. Protective covers start getting removed and aisleway carpet goes in. Personnel actually running the convention booths get there Monday.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The whole week. It's weird this year because I definitely remember E3 load in that didn't start till Monday or tuesday, one year it didn't begin till friday, so this is a lot of time.

The only thing happening right now besides stuff loading in the docks is rigging. Anything in the air gets done first, including the giant Activision signs for example, special light positions, hundreds of projectors, and motors that will hold up larger scenery and elements. Next is all the wall/booth construction, basically anything that needs to be built. everything happens in fairly discrete stages. Once the sets are built, everything will start to get carpetted beneath the sets, initial wiring, some lights go up in the catwalks. Projection begins it's mapping work one night after everyone leaves so it can get some dark time. This kind of stuff continues until more specialized stuff on Sunday, light get focused on objects and set, stautues and specialty "art" like the dark souls fountain will get put into place, touched up, etc. Protective covers start getting removed and aisleway carpet goes in. Personnel actually running the convention booths get there Monday.

Have you done anything with nintendo booths? If so how is it like? is it super stiff because your probably seeing all kinds of stuff that you absolutely cannot mention to anyone?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Literally someone says this every god damn year and then once E3 rolls in we realize that this couldn't be further from the truth.

This is probably true. I think there's also something to be said for gameplay. Even if game titles and concepts leak, seeing actual gameplay for these games is another reveal and experience.

mishakoz

Have you done anything with nintendo booths? If so how is it like? is it super stiff because your probably seeing all kinds of stuff that you absolutely cannot mention to anyone?

I haven't done Nintendos, I have done a few Sony and then smaller booths like konami, and the weird ones as well (MMOs that I never play).

I see stuff all the time that I can't mention. Ive worked on the projection mapping for the press conferences before so Ive seen stuff weeks in advance. Some of it's placeholder, but most gets sent to us so we can make sure everything looks good on the giant projection surfaces.

They do cover up a lot at E3. The "dust " covers usually come down Monday but some wait till Tuesday morning. I'm told now there's a strict policy against pictures but honestly crew people see things all the time and most just don't care enough to do anything with the information. I've worked award shows before where they tell us at the beginning of the night who wins so we know where to point the cameras. It's a biz, it works well enough that usually things don't get out.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't done Nintendos, I have done a few Sony and then smaller booths like konami, and the weird ones as well (MMOs that I never play).

I see stuff all the time that I can't mention. Ive worked on the projection mapping for the press conferences before so Ive seen stuff weeks in advance. Some of it's placeholder, but most gets sent to us so we can make sure everything looks good on the giant projection surfaces.

They do cover up a lot at E3. The "dust " covers usually come down Monday but some wait till Tuesday morning. I'm told now there's a strict policy against pictures but honestly crew people see things all the time and most just don't care enough to do anything with the information. I've worked award shows before where they tell us at the beginning of the night who wins so we know where to point the cameras. It's a biz, it works well enough that usually things don't get out.
Yeah, why I included the disclaimer in the OP. Last year very few construction photos popped up, not sure how it's going to be this year.

Thanks anyway for your input, very intriguing info.

gamz

E3 floor builds are amazing, because they are SERIOUSLY not done until the last min before the doors open. I remember picking my exhibitor badge up after press conferences and some booths weren't 50% setup yet. Totally insane how quick they get everything finalized.

No different then setting up for a concert. These guys are pro's.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Thanks for the response, interesting work.
Nintendo's boxes arrived too

yaCAbNT.gif
hahaha

Leak prevention, plain and simple. Liability too.

Seems like yesterday (probably close to ten years now) when detectiveGAF made out "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" through the sheets covering the Nintendo booth by messing with the contrast of the photo.

shandy706

I'm the complete opposite. Really excited about Forza 7, God of War, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, and Mario.

Also hoping for some surprises.

ITSMILNER

Is there a thread showing the photos of the adverts around L.A? All i can see is the one showing God of War on the side of a building.

Also, no construction pics rule, does that mean we won't see any photos of the booths set up?

qko

Seems like yesterday (probably close to ten years now) when detectiveGAF made out "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" through the sheets covering the Nintendo booth by messing with the contrast of the photo.

I remember that happening the night before Nintendo's conference. On one hand I hated that I spoiled the surprise like that, but still so hyped it was real.

Top Bottom