• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Cancelled for Next Year and "Forseeable Future"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
keanerie said:
I've been suppressing my suspicion that an industry crash is on the horizon, and I'm not sure whether this news means good or bad.
Well, we all had the same suspicion for a while now, and nothing's happening.

But the death of E3 could just kill the industry, because as someone said before: E3 makes gaming look good.

X26

Banned
keanerie said:
That was a good year!

# Donkey Kong 64
# Everquest
# Final Fantasy VIII
# Gran Turismo 2
# Mario Party
# Medal of Honor
# Sonic Adventure
# Soul Calibur
# Super Smash Bros.

O RLY?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Disappointing from the spectacle-of-it-all perspective. It was a fun event that drew coverage from bigger news sites/pubs like CNN, MSNBC, Newsweek, etc. The PR for the game developers will now just have to work that much harder to get their stories placed properly.

2. Nobody cares about gaming journalists. Get over yourselves. E3, in relation to gaming journalists, is a non issue. Perhaps the smaller sites might have a harder time getting their press releases and demos of their own, but the main concern should be what will eventually replace E3. It's weird hearing journalists bitch one moment about having to wait in line and in another moment bitching about not having a line at all.

3. Let's stop pretending that so-called casuals can't find gaming information. Let us also stop pretending that they are stupid, uniformed, and retarded. The people that you're thinking of are Christmas Moms and 8 year-olds. Nobody else buying a videogame should be considered 'a casual.' These are considerable investments that take consideration.

4. This cannot be blamed on any one company, but rather a poor formula over a period of years that has become out-moded by the speed of internet news, demos, XBL and other demo sites. Positives may arise out of this news, as long as developers are still giving the press/public a chance to provide feedback on their games before they are released.

Yeah.

soundwave05 said:
*Barf*

Anyone else just sorta feel this industry is kind of drifting apart from what it used to be? Sony's gone Blu-Ray crazy, Nintendo's gone crazy, and lets face it, Sega is well ... just gone pretty much, Microsoft is a good supporting guy but not a lead actor in any movie you'd want to see.

Now no more E3 shows? On top of no Spaceworld/Shoshinkai and maybe no TGS as well?

I miss the 1990s era. This industry is just starting to lose a lot of its fun and personality IMO.
I believe this is why the death of E3 hits me like this. It's almost like it's foreshadowing or a prediction of where the gaming industry as a whole is going. E3 has gotten way too big and as a result, it's dead. Where does that leave the industry? I've felt like for the past couple of months the industry as a whole just needs to take a step back and slow the **** down or risk another crash.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Systems_id said:
I believe this is why the death of E3 hits me like this. It's almost like it's foreshadowing or a prediction of where the gaming industry as a whole is going. E3 has gotten way too big and as a result, it's dead. Where does that leave the industry? I've felt like for the past couple of months the industry as a whole just needs to take a step back and slow the **** down or risk another crash.

Out of the ashes a new phoenix will rise. Do not be troubled; after the collapse of the 80's arose one of the most fabled times in gaming.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
X26 said:
# Donkey Kong 64
# Everquest
# Final Fantasy VIII
# Gran Turismo 2
# Mario Party
# Medal of Honor
# Sonic Adventure
# Soul Calibur
# Super Smash Bros.

O RLY?

YES YOU FOOL!

Systems_id said:

I'm not going to go so far as to say there's going to be a "crash".

I think it's more like when you realize a "scene" you were into is no longer what it used to be. It happens in the music industry all the time. I guess maybe it was inevitable that it would happen with gaming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is dumb.

Yes, EA and Activision etc already have sales days at their offices where they get all their deals done. But that doesn't create media buzz.

E3 is like the Cannes film festival for games. Its one of the few times you get proper mainstream media coverage of our hobby. I doubt the BBC will send a reporter to Chertsey for the EA Q3 sales day.

CarlosX360 said:
Good point. The game industry is getting bigger by the second, not downsizing.

the pc gaming industry has been declining for several years now. people dont talk about it because its a known fact.

Sanjuro

christmasiscancelled.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
if any of this affects the chances of smaller games from smaller publishers being released here because they don't get any buzz because there's no E3...

well, i'd probably have more money in my wallet i guess.

but still. ****ers. ****ING ****ERS

Odysseus

Banned
mrklaw said:
this is dumb.

Yes, EA and Activision etc already have sales days at their offices where they get all their deals done. But that doesn't create media buzz.

E3 is like the Cannes film festival for games. Its one of the few times you get proper mainstream media coverage of our hobby. I doubt the BBC will send a reporter to Chertsey for the EA Q3 sales day.

What is everyone's obsession with mainstream coverage? :/

Especially since whatever mainstream buzz there is will have died by the time the games finally roll around months and years later. With or without E3, good and bad games will continue to sell, new systems will still receive plenty of pre-launch marketing hype, and GAF will still complain about how stupid casual gamers are and how the industry will die as a result of it.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Do people actually visit these smaller fansites that people are so concerned about?

Do their immediate families count?

PantherLotus said:
Nobody cares about gaming journalists. Get over yourselves. E3, in relation to gaming journalists, is a non issue. Perhaps the smaller sites might have a harder time getting their press releases and demos of their own, but the main concern should be what will eventually replace E3. It's weird hearing journalists bitch one moment about having to wait in line and in another moment bitching about not having a line at all.
*cracks knuckles*

Lets see here.

We're NOT trying to be "under ourselves" well, at least I am not. And I'm not speaking for them, but this is the way it goes: Small websites, main top guns (IGN, GameSpot, G4, etc.) contribute to making gaming bigger every day. Think about it, have you ever heard of the adage "small baby steps"? Hmm? Think hard. Without "game journalist" gamers all around the world, would not have found news. And, let me use myspace as a leverage here; The news corp bought MySpace because of one reason: The internet is widespread; in fact, its so big, that news corp wants to use Myspace as the one destination to REACH the world. REACH new users, new people, and expand their corporation even further. Companies like EA, Nintendo, Xbox brand, and movie companies are using myspace for a good reason: It attracts viewers to their page, and gives them free publicity.

Okay, so Journalists don't matter, fine. But they accumlate up free press/publicity for companies.

In fact, most people ignore TV, but use the internet for news. That's why Myspace was bought out.

Well this kinda sucks, oh well. I don't really agree with the larger companies' complaints about the show, but I guess it was going to happen sooner or later. E3 was really cool to follow online, and pretty fun, but I can understand the hate it gets.

Oh well, here's hoping there will be smaller, but more frequent press events rather than one huge cumload of a show like E3 was.

Razoric

Banned
Honestly I think this is a good thing...

- no more pressure to get devs to put everything on hold to make a demo for E3
- no more millions of dollars wasted on this show, better spent towards making better games
- game companies wont hold all their cards for May and actually release info in a better, more timely manner
- shows that the gaming industry has outgrown any one single show

As much as I'll miss this place during E3 this is pretty much needed, especially after this years. What a cluster**** it was.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wait, I just got here...

E3 is CANNED?
Like, I can't go anymore?

but... uh... that doesnt seem right, the industry is such on the verge of becoming this massive mainstream entertainment source, and they are canning the biggest industry showcase event for the public?

I always have the best vacations when I go :/

Someone explain this to me, the thread is 11 pages aready

By the way: for anyone hating on the ESA for this should really rethink the situation. E3 is the ESA's big moment. They want it to be the biggest spectacle possible. If they did indeed have to cancel the show, it would only be because they were forced to -- i.e., the big players weren't showing up. If Doug Lowenstein* makes a statement tomorrow, look for it to be spin city about how, sure, there's some scaling back, but he wants to "correct some misconceptions" and that the show will go on, etc.

*and I love Doug Lowenstein

CarlosX360 said:
I just hope that media events take place in one season, and it better be the summer, because I don't think that media pros will want to go to a event per month. There has been more than 5 media/gamers day events in the last 6 months, GDC, E3, separate companies' press events, along with M$' media party.
I just edited my post at Xbox Evolved, :D

Christopher

John Harker said:
Wait, I just got here...

E3 is CANNED?
Like, I can't go anymore?

but... uh... that doesnt seem right, the industry is such on the verge of becoming this massive mainstream entertainment source, and they are canning the biggest industry showcase event for the public?

I always have the best vacations when I go :/

Someone explain this to me, the thread is 11 pages aready

Wow I'm sure you could pick MUCH better spots to go on vacation. May I suggest Florida?

I don't think the industry is becoming "massive mainstream entertainment source" don't kid yourself there man.

Christopher said:
Wow I'm sure you could pick MUCH better spots to go on vacation. May I suggest Florida?

I don't think the industry is becoming "massive mainstream entertainment source" don't kid yourself there man.

Errr ... SoCal > Florida.

The fact that Vegas is only a 4 hour drive as well pretty much seals the deal.

John Harker

Christopher said:

On the verge. Look at all the mass media outlets that cover these things. Major financial anlysts covering publishers on a regular basis. Not to mention, you know, the industry outgrossing Hollywood for some time now.

And I go to California for vacation. I spend 4 days or so in LA during E3 when I go. Between the show and all the after parties, its a really good time, though Ive done it a number of times now, does get kind of played out.

John Harker

Y2Kevbug11 said:
That poor kid's suicide note is going down in internet history.

Simple Plan has never made me cry before today.

Actually, plenty of tears of laughter

atomsk

Party Pooper
Razoric said:
- game companies wont hold all their cards for May and actually release info in a better, more timely manner

what makes you think they'll bother? this is a good excuse to be even more secretive, since they don't have to compete with each other about big announcements.

i forsee less information coming from this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom