• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Cancelled for Next Year and "Forseeable Future"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
BuddyC said:
Ugh, as if the uncertainty and general chaos of this fall wasn't enough, the next few years might suffer from unsubstantiated daily hype as well? I'm not so sure I like the next-gen market :(

next-gen so far has ruined every last aspect of gaming

it's awesome :lol

Zenith

Banned
Amir0x said:
ya know, like, "in March is the SquareEnix show so I can't wait" or "Doesn't Capcom usually hold a show in April?"

I think you're being way too optimistic. Most companies will probably just do without and stick with the usual press only preview, trailer, screens, etc.

xsarien said:
Likely nothing, or else what'd be the point of having it in the first place? Smaller shows that have a tighter focus on one or a handful of publishers or developers spread evenly throughout the year. From all accounts, E3 was becoming more of a circus every year thanks to every gamer in the world trying to claim that their website detailing the contents of Solid Snake's underwear drawer is a legitimate media outlet.
Might as well shut up, because people like you piss me off. Everyone goes like "gaming is gay" or "gaming is for kids" but the way you're acting "whoopie ****ing do, you r a journalizt trying to find info on games, and attain fame! Bwahahaa."

Great. I agree with you that gamers try to get in by making sites, but you make it seem like sites such as Xbox Evolved, and GAF aren't legitment...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Amir0x said:

i hate to admit it, but it really is true...what the hell is happening to gaming right now?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't even know what to believe in now, except for our almighty savior, the DS Lite.
and Twilight Princess as gaming's swan song

Jado

Banned
Am I missing something? Why would small developers not be at a newly revamped E3? Yeah, less space overall, but companies won't need a lot of space anymore because now there won't be 50,000 non-press visitors to accomodate. Smaller, cheaper location + everyone from EA to Nintendo taking up less space + only a few hundred to a 1000 press members.. short lines, less clutter with more devs within eyesight and reach should mean that everything should fall into place better than it was at the old, bloated E3s.

jenov4

Noone has even mentioned the LA strippers that work as booth babes during E3?

Oh WHAT will they do? SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE STRIPPERS DAMMIT!!!! ;_;

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:

"Yesss young skywalker...look into your heart...come to the dark side of gaming, become the JADED GAMER!!"

*John Williams trumpets play in background*

By the by I think this generation of gaming will be pretty cool. We are getting more and more diverse games (well, as long as you own all three consoles) and one doing something that will hopefully be really different. I also think handheld gaming is just hitting on all cylinders right now and getting better and better.

Odysseus

Banned
CarlosX360 said:
Might as well shut up, because people like you piss me off. Everyone goes like "gaming is gay" or "gaming is for kids" but the way you're acting "whoopie ****ing do, you r a journalizt trying to find info on games, and attain fame! Bwahahaa."

Great. I agree with you that gamers try to get in by making sites, but you make it seem like sites such as Xbox Evolved, and GAF aren't legitment...

I believe he's just saying that sites whose readerships are measured in fingers should not be let into E3. I'd push that number into thousands. Like, at least ten. And then only in a consortium of sorts.

Christopher

CarlosX360 said:

It's just videogames bro, no reason to get "pissed" by any means.

White Man

Systems_id said:
Agreed. Like someone said, hopefully something more focused will take E3s place next year or whenever.

Well, the ESA isn't saying anything official until tomorrow. Maybe they will.

<sigh>

They're a pretty daft organization if they don't realize that the enthusiast-driven industry they're a part of is partially driven by E3. People talk about E3 all year. As has been said, IGN and Gamespot probably rely on E3 for a lot of their subscriptions. The spectacle disappears if E3 is truly gone. Say what you will about the fanboy wars, but E3 was the front in the battle, and goddamn it, it was entertaining.

And this is bad for the little guys all around. Smaller developers and publsihers, and smaller media outlets. To bring up the game journalism questions brought up the other day: This is the industry telling the little guys that it doesn't want you. It wants Ziffs and Imagines, that's it.

BuddyC

jenov4 said:
Noone has even mentioned the LA strippers that work as booth babes during E3?

Oh WHAT will they do? SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE STRIPPERS DAMMIT!!!! ;_;
BuddyC said:
I think the effect this could have on the LA model economy is far more frightening. Though the forced smiles and the cold dead eyes (no doubt masking murderous intent) I've seen for the past three years telll me this might be a good thing for them as well.
Back on Page 5 :p

Akia

davepoobond said:
i hate to admit it, but it really is true...what the hell is happening to gaming right now?

Come Feburary, after the system launch hype wears off. What do we have left to look forward too? I wish publishers all need to annouce their annoucments. Tell us where they're going to showcase their games.

Like BuddyC mentioned this is going to bring out so many false hype trains and letdowns.

Seth C

This news makes me really sad that I missed the show this year. It would have been my 9th in a row, but I went back to school, and finals week was E3 week. If there was going to be a last E3, I wanted to have been there for it. Oh well.

Christopher said:
It's just videogames bro, no reason to get "pissed" by any means.
Okay, yes. But this piece of news hurts start-ups. Xbox Evolved just started their own busines license this spring. That's why I'm pissed off, because this news slaps the faces of those new start-ups.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
E3 done? WTF this came out of nowhere. Sucks big time if true, E3 is probably the most exciting time of year in terms of gaming.

mollipen

CarlosX360 said:
Its not a matter of trying to be "hard" or "hot" shit...Its a matter of trying to obtain content. Gaming websites compete for exclusivity, glory, and recognition. That's just the way it is, it takes business sense for you to know that.

If you work for any of the "big" gaming press, I'd argue that E3 has never been about obtaining content. All of the content we (Play) obtained was before and after the show, unless it was from a company we previously had no contact with. E3 has always, for the people who don't need to get their foot in the door of the press contact of various companies, been about hobnobbing with the companies, checking out hardware and software you haven't had a chance to try out yet, and in general taking in the atmosphere. You go to E3 so that you can try out Sonic on the Wii, or say "Dead Rising is looking pretty cool," or get interviews with a developer in a back room.

If you're press that doesn't already have your foot in the door, and you go to E3 expecting to be able to do a lot of in-depth coverage, then that's your mistake. E3 should be about getting a glimpse of what is coming up, what looks cool, and convincing the companies to give you the time of day so that you can later then get builds from them in order to do real coverage.

White Man

BuddyC said:
Back on Page 5 :p

I don't think it will have any realistic effect on the LA economy. I'm sure the convention center is in so much demand that the vacancy will be filled rather quickly. LA is used for things other than E3, you know :p

xsarien

daedsiluap
CarlosX360 said:

Do you miss points often, or is this just kind of a one time thing?

BuddyC

By the by, I really think the end of E3 is a bit exagerrated. With oodles of smaller publishers and developers out there, I think the general concept of E3 will move on, though perhaps smaller in size and maybe even more restricted in admissions. But that's the way things have been moving lately, bigger companies have been throwing their own events later and holding off on what they'll show / announce at E3 for some time now.

BuddyC

White Man said:
I don't think it will have any realistic effect on the LA economy. I'm sure the convention center is in so much demand that the vacancy will be filled rather quickly. LA is used for things other than E3, you know :p
The MODEL economy! Won't someone think of the models?

And the cab drivers! If E3 is truly at an end, that's one lessened week of chaos for them!

VALIS

White Man said:
This is like cancelling the Super Bowl. I can't see how people are defending this as a good thing.

CarlosX360 said:
Thank you. Its like you read my mind...I could not have said it better, because everyone is sooo positive about this.

Marconelly said:
but as White Man said, this is like canceling the Superbowl, or the World Cup, and saying you could still watch some smaller, regional games on your TV, without the ability to attend any of big games.

HEY! I made the Super Bowl analogy first! ME! Post #304! Meeeeeeeeeee! Memememememememememe!! DAMN YOU WHITE MAN!!

shidoshi said:
If you work for any of the "big" gaming press, I'd argue that E3 has never been about obtaining content. All of the content we (Play) obtained was before and after the show, unless it was from a company we previously had no contact with. E3 has always, for the people who don't need to get their foot in the door of the press contact of various companies, been about hobnobbing with the companies, checking out hardware and software you haven't had a chance to try out yet, and in general taking in the atmosphere. You go to E3 so that you can try out Sonic on the Wii, or say "Dead Rising is looking pretty cool," or get interviews with a developer in a back room.

If you're press that doesn't already have your foot in the door, and you go to E3 expecting to be able to do a lot of in-depth coverage, then that's your mistake. E3 should be about getting a glimpse of what is coming up, what looks cool, and convincing the companies to give you the time of day so that you can later then get builds from them in order to do real coverage.
If its never been about obtaining gaming content, then how come we have confrences every year, for the press to watch unfold, and report? Why do we go in and try out new games that we haven't even played last year, or never...? And most of all...how do we gamers get our attention by just writing? Be recognized by the media? Hah. Wrong, how about saying "E3 is all about beginnings" for those who have the desire to step afoot. Hmm? Oh right, because you treat this news as nothing other than "good riddance." GAF takes EVERYTHING litterly everything as jokes. When Wii was announced, everyone start complaining, but for GAF, they ridicule the name left and right. PS2's controller? They call it the rip-off of the generation. And then, what do we have here....David Jaffe comes and clears things up, and backs up Dennis, you start making it as a joke "moma's twit" and shit. What's next? "E3 sucks!"

xsarien

daedsiluap
CarlosX360 said:
And then, what do we have here....David Jaffe comes and clears things up, and backs up Dennis, you start making it as a joke "moma's twit" and shit. What's next? "E3 sucks!"

I'm pretty sure it was Jaffe who started posting stuff that would make Sarah Silverman blush.

Dilbert

Although I've never been to an E3 proper, I will miss the GAF drinkathons. :(

I pretty much agree with White Man -- cancelling the marquee videogaming event can't be a good thing. There were daily stories about E3 on the local news during the expo this year -- admittedly, I am in Los Angeles, but there were also short blurbs on national print news as well. Heck, even the director of my business unit knew what E3 was, and he's not a gamer.

ourumov

This would be bad because E3 put all the 3 big companies in the ring and they had to somewhat fight for the show...Think whatever you want but E3 was a way to put some kind of pression on them and on the development of games.
Now, I guess that every company is going to do their own show, well like they just always did but increasing their importance...but this is not going to be the same.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, pretty much.

I don't even know what to believe in now, except for our almighty savior, the DS Lite.
and Twilight Princess as gaming's swan song

it just contributed to its ruination, but I still have PS2 <3

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I wont miss E3 (actually, I'm happy about not having to go into that mess ever again), but I'll miss GAF reactions to it.

xsarien said:
Why does it seem like we're having two completely different discussions?
Good ****ing riddance of the old discussion! Might as well tell start up companies E3 is dead, and that they have to work twice as hard to get new content, new games to play, attend new events every ****ing month, or new exclusives?

border

NPR had at least 2 or 3 stories on E3 this year, too. The ESA cares about getting media exposure for the gaming industry, but the publishers don't care unless that exposure is specific to them.
LuCkymoON said:
Since MS decided to release E3 demos at home, I dont see how this a bad thing.
They released like five demos, when the show floor had probably ten times as many playables...

SantaC

This is sad. I loved being on GAF during the E3 crazyness. It was the best time of the year! E3 was also the only time Nintendo really opended their doors with news and games. Now they can go back to a 12 month schedule and hardly reveal shit.

Nintendo Minute 567

Question: When will you guys show us more of Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy?

Kaplan: Wait till E3!

El_Victor

I won't miss E3 itself but the GAF feedback... the photoshop, the rumors, the obsessive fans, the bannings, disappointment, hope, disappointment again, Nintendo, gamefaqs, IGN, megatons, crowd reactions etc.

Odysseus

Banned
El_Victor said:
I won't miss E3 itself but the GAF feedback... the photoshop, the rumors, the obsessive fans, the bannings, disappointment, hope, disappointment again, Nintendo, gamefaqs, IGN, megatons, crowd reactions etc.

You forgot the third set of disappointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom