• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Impressions: Madden 2010 and NCAA Football 2010

Hey guys, spent a few hours playing both Madden 10 and NCAA Football 10 at E3 today.

For clarity's sake, I'll address each component of the game separately as I played a couple of games (Cowboys vs. Eagles and Cowboys vs. Skins)

Madden 2010

The Much Hyped Speed Reduction

The reduction in speed was very jarring when I first picked up the controller. I know the developers claimed that it's only been reduced by 5%, but it felt much slower than that. I can definitely see some polarization on whether this was a good move, but I adjusted just fine by the second quarter. I'm a decent player and all, but the reduction is speed actually made the game feel easier as I felt like I had all day to make a decision on what I was going to do offensively and defensively. I suspect I'll love the speed change when I get used to it, but the jury's still out...

Passing

It felt soooo good hanging out in the pocket waiting for plays to develop. Hopefully this change makes people less apt to sprint outside of the pocket to get some time to throw the ball. When you throw the ball, a little red reticule appears on the screen highlighting where the ball is going to land. As the ball drew nearer to the target, the reticle shrinks until it arrives at its destination.

While I didn't have to use the right analog for maneuvering as the QB in the pocket much, the animations for are pretty slick when you use it. EA didn't have Dual Shock 3 controllers at the kiosks (or rumble was disabled), so i didn't feel the vibration.

Sideline catches aren't totally shored up yet. Receivers didn't appear to make an effort to drag their feet in the 5 or 6 instances I tested out sideline patterns. I believe this was something that was supposed to be implemented from the Inside EA blog, but I didn't see it in the game. Boooo!

Running

The reduction in speed immensely helped out my decision making in the running game. You can see the blocks open up really good and hit them with aggression. The gang tackling is implemented very nicely as the piles up felt organic in nature. Outside of one scenario where Sheldon Brown made an unrealistic solo tackle on Marion Barber, it consistently too a few defenders to take down Barber. I'd like to try a few different backs to test if the running backs are overpowered, but it felt damn good running over DeAngelo Hall in route to a 23 yard touchdown on an HB Counter. The way Barber and throws that stiff arm is exactly like he does on Sundays. I didn't encounter any Mario running, but again, I only played 2 games.

Last thing to note is that homemade juke moves are no more. There is a great sense of momentum to the running that essentially means you have to use the actual dedicated juke maneuvers to make your moves. This is slightly disappointing as I was a master of my own custom fakes, but I guess it's more realistic.

Defense

The Cowboys new playbook is massive and I imagine that every team would get the same treatment. There were so many sub packages of the 3-4 defense that is was staggering. The adjustment in speed and greater empahsis on momentum has changed the way you defend as well. No longer can you turn on dime full speed to make plays on the ball. Through painful experience, you have to better anticipate what's going to happen vs. playing Polomalu ball with any NFL linebacker or safety.

Man coverage is an issue I'd like to explore more before I anoint it as being usable again. After i set up my defensive adjustments (which work great!), my guys were beat more often than not. Washington and Philly both have above average receiving corps, so it wasn't completely bullshit to see them burning my team's green 2nd year corners. The difference in speed is something I definitely felt though. When Brain Westbrook outran Keith Brooking on a screen play, I was happy to see the game recognize that Brooking should have no chance to catch Westbrook. LB/DL adjustments and blitzes felt more random as it players didn't appear to run or roam by the numbers at all.

I was very pleased with observing the line play as you can see the big boys using their hands and technique much more than ever. Using Igor Olshansky, I got pancaked and double teamed pretty good by the Iggles in one particular series.

Special Teams

Nothing much new to convey here, but there being a new kick meter. While the same "pull and push" mechanic is still there, the meter has a different look making it slightly harder.

I didn't see any issues with blocks being missed on my end.

Presentation

It took about 5 years, but NFL 2K5 is no longer the champion of football presentation. From the opening coin flip to the ending whistle, Madden 2010 is dripping with presentation touches to enhance up the experience. With going back to the 3 play layout for the play selection screen, you have more of an opportunity to catch these moments.

To give you a sense of the various presentation touches I saw in my two games:

• Cutaways to stadium fans
  • McNabb chatting with Reid after a failed 3rd down completion with McNabb's helmet half off
  • "Did you know" facts sprinkled throughout the game
  • Cutaway shots with facts (Jason Campbell has just thrown his first interception of the game)
  • Halftime show with video highlights and text overlays
  • Stand up whistle on a gang tackles
  • "Frozen" parts of the television screen on snow games.
  • Chain Gang with referee using his hands to indicate the distance till the first down
  • Pre-game breakdowns of match-ups per position vs breakdowns general sections (e.g. Offense, Defense, Special Teams)
  • Prominent MVP callout near the end of the game
  • Kickers warming up
  • Field goal nets going up and down
  • Etc.

I can go on and on, but the presentation touches were nice. The best thing is that none of these extras cause choppy loading sequences, and they can all be skipped with smooth fade transitions. Some of the character faces are a little janky, but it's forgivable considering the amount of players on screen.

360 VS. PS3

I played both of my games on the PS3 (the kiosk was wide open) and watched a quarter of game being played by others on the 360.

Both versions look absolutely amazing running at a perfect 60FPS. The reduction in game speed really helps play up the improved animations in the game. The differences I saw are fairly standard when comparing 360/PS3 cross platform titles. The PS3 version looked better to me because it had a "cool" and sharper image (with a slight bit of aliasing). The 360 version looked much more saturated and a bit blurry to me. I'm not sure if the TVs were the difference makers, but it appears that both games are finally on the same level from a technical perspective.

NCAA Football 2010

I also took some time to check out how Madden's sibling was coming along as well....

I'll keep this one short as the changes in 09 to 10 on the NCAA side aren't nearly as substantial.

Gameplay wise, not much has changed outside of the increase in defensive effectiveness. Unlike Madden 2010, NCAA 2010 is obviously running on an optimized version of the Madden 09 engine which means that it plays much differently from the slower paced Madden 2010.

The biggest change I saw was the complete blowout of timeout strategy adjustments. You can select conservative, balanced, and aggressive modifiers on a staggering amount of considerations in between timeouts. I didn't obviously see my choices manifest itself on the field, but it's a nice addition if it works as planned.

The biggest disappointment is the clunk factor from all of the presentation touches. NCAA 2010 has the same problems as Madden 2009 in terms of 1-2 second delays between transitions, and it's annoying as hell. Hopefully it gets shored up before launch

I didn't get a chance to play with any of the menu features here, but I did come away bummed that the on field action felt a little too familiar. As a result, I see no reason to pick up this year's version as I can't imagine playing both games in parallel. More than ever, they are two different kinds of football games.

Tomorrow...

I'll be going back tomorrow with my wife as she's never been to E3, so I plan on digging into the menu features tomorrow to answer some questions folks had there. Given the line of people waiting to play the game, I didn't have much of an opportunity to dig in like I wanted to.

To conclude on a slightly hilarious tip, The Game (Hip Hop Rapper) came in with an entourage of 8-10 guys laced in all red gear. It was like watching the Piru Street gang take over a whole 360 kiosk daring someone to do something about it...good times! :D

LJ11

Thanks for the write-up Shawn, really appreciate it. '09 felt slow coming off of '08, but after a few games I adjusted, so I'm not too worried about the overall speed.

I'm also glad they toned down roving around with a defender, very few defenders have the makeup speed to get back into defensive position after committing to a certain side of the field and/or player.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Dont hate on sheldon brown, he is one of the best tackling CB's in the game. Ask Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush

Smokey

Makes my decision to skip on Madden 09 look better the more I read about '10. I'll be coming back for sure, as it finally sounds like it's going to live up to the hype they spew out every year.

Coming from you Shawn, I'll take your word that it really looks like they shaped up the game (qb pocket, running etc) over a journalist who doesn't know ish about sports.

Good impressions!

Great stuff man. This really has been the first time in a loooong while that Ive been looking forward to a new Madden so much. So excited for the Online Franchise.

anddo0

Thanks for the impressions! Madden sounds ace. You got me scared about NCAA. I have both games on my list. But, I'm not sure if they'll be day one purchases this year. I don't think I can take another year of letdown.. Your words are encouraging though.

AirBrian

Thanks for the impressions!

I'm not too worried about the speed. The QB adjustment and the defender's speed adjustment sound like welcomed changes.

pilonv1

gnarkill bill said:
Great stuff man. This really has been the first time in a loooong while that Ive been looking forward to a new Madden so much. So excited for the Online Franchise.

same here. it really sounds like they're headed in the right direction

charsace

Smokey said:
Makes my decision to skip on Madden 09 look better the more I read about '10. I'll be coming back for sure, as it finally sounds like it's going to live up to the hype they spew out every year.

Coming from you Shawn, I'll take your word that it really looks like they shaped up the game (qb pocket, running etc) over a journalist who doesn't know ish about sports.

Good impressions!
Thinking I can beat your ass in this game.:D

thmst30

GameGamer said:
I've been waiting a long time to hear this.

It better be true.
I don't think it is. There are a ton of presentation upgrades this year, but the flow of the presentation is still bad, and the commentary is still dreadful. Madden has made strides for sure but IMO 2K5 still rules the presentation.

Here is Madden's version of a half-time "show".
http://www.operationsports.com/videoview.php?id=388

NFL 2K5 half-time show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9O6jKorLRo

The post-game show in Madden is identical to their half-time show, and the post-game in 2K5 is like their half-time show. Again, LOTS of good stuff this year, but not enough to knock off 2K5 just yet in the presentation realm. Gameplay wise Pro-Tak alone takes Madden far beyond 2K5. So that's certainly a big +.:D

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
NCAA was the 2nd best sports game of last year... With NBA 2K being first and the Show being a close 3rd... Great year for sports gamers can't wait for these new versions

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Thanks for taking the time out to write this. Good stuff. Looking forward to Madden Day 2009.

Finally!!! Weather Channel integration on Madden!!!

thmst30 said:
I don't think it is. There are a ton of presentation upgrades this year, but the flow of the presentation is still bad, and the commentary is still dreadful. Madden has made strides for sure but IMO 2K5 still rules the presentation.

Here is Madden's version of a half-time "show".
http://www.operationsports.com/videoview.php?id=388

NFL 2K5 half-time show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9O6jKorLRo

The post-game show in Madden is identical to their half-time show, and the post-game in 2K5 is like their half-time show. Again, LOTS of good stuff this year, but not enough to knock off 2K5 just yet in the presentation realm. Gameplay wise Pro-Tak alone takes Madden far beyond 2K5. So that's certainly a big +.:D

I didn't sit through the halftime show as I would have definitely mentioned the lack of audio and storytelling like the video you had.

It's easy to forget how ahead of the curve that 2K5's presentation was, but I was extremely impressed by the sum of Madden 10's presentation efforts.

thmst30

Shawnwhann said:
I didn't sit through the halftime show as I would have definitely mentioned the lack of audio and storytelling like the video you had.

It's easy to forget how ahead of the curve the 2K game was presentation, but I was extremely impressed by the sum of Madden 10's presentation efforts.

Oh I am too, just that particular part is lacking big time. Everything is shaping up real nice though. Thanks for the write-up.:D

Striker

NFL 2K5's strong point is and always will be presentation.

It was their gameplay and lack of an even DECENT Franchise mode is what killed it for me. I had bought both 2K5 and Madden '05 that year, and Madden '05 carried me well over a year because of the longevity of Owner Mode. ESPN style presentation is great, but if the gameplay isn't fun, and there's no mode of prolonging the game, it's not going to be fun to me.

Online Franchise, save us.

Great impressions!

Thank god for the speed change in madden I felt like I was playing NFL blitz in non online games last year. People say the NFL is fast and it is but last years madden was bad in single player. Not smooth at all!

As for NCAA, improved defense is all I need to hear. I loved last years version! Maybe my 95 rated d can get some stops this year!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
Running
Outside of one scenario where Sheldon Brown made an unrealistic solo tackle on Marion Barber, it consistently too a few defenders to take down Barber. I'd like to try a few different backs to test if the running backs are overpowered, but it felt damn good running over DeAngelo Hall in route to a 23 yard touchdown on an HB Counter. The way Barber and throws that stiff arm is exactly like he does on Sundays. I didn't encounter any Mario running, but again, I only played 2 games.

Argh exactly what I did not want to hear. It's cool, for you, that it took multiple defenders to take Barber down, but the running game will be over powered. Last year featured Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook trucking the shit out of defenders.

Shawnwhann said:
I'd like to try a few different backs to test if the running backs are overpowered, but it felt damn good running over DeAngelo Hall in route to a 23 yard touchdown on an HB Counter.

[*]Cutaway shots with facts (Jason Campbell has just thrown his first interception of the game)

:(

Great impressions though thanks! Glad to hear the speed change actually helps see running lanes develop.

Wellington said:
Argh exactly what I did not want to hear. It's cool, for you, that it took multiple defenders to take Barber down, but the running game will be over powered. Last year featured Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook trucking the shit out of defenders.

Time will tell but Ian and Co. have said that smaller backs would not be able to run over people, at least not as often as bigger backs. This is still an older build that people are playing at E3.

zander106

Shawnwhann said:
It took about 5 years, but NFL 2K5 is no longer the champion of football presentation. From the opening coin flip to the ending whistle, Madden 2010 is dripping with presentation touches to enhance up the experience.

THIS.

Jesus, since Madden got exclusivity over the NFL/NFLPA license, I have been waiting for the franchise to get at least on par with 2K5 on the presentation front. I used to have a hard drive in my PS2, so I really enjoyed watching Chris Berman doing highlights, not just of your game but from around the league.

Question: Does the halftime or postgame show have highlights from other games? Even if not, I can live with highlights from my own game. Never understood why this gets neglected so much in general.

EDIT: OK, just read thmst30's post. Guess it does not reach 2K5 levels of TV-quality presentation. Sigh...still an improvement though.

Thanks for the impressions. I'll probably pick up NCAA 10 on PSP, though. Did EA show off the PSP version by any chance? I would guess it's fairly similiar to last year's effort.

BigAT

Thanks for the impressions.

Did you happen to notice if the DE's rushed to the outside enough so that it was much more difficult for the QB to roll out? I'm hoping the formation of a real pocket forces players to stay within it and not be able to take the snap and then make a sprint for the sidelines.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If what you guys miss in NFL 2K5 is the fucking *presentation* - you guys are crazy. Presentation gets old three games in, and 2K5 is 5 years old at this point.

impirius

Wellington said:
Speaking of unrealistic trucking, when are you going to change that damned avatar?

GameGamer

Shawnwhann said:

It's easy to forget how ahead of the curve that 2K5's presentation was, but I was extremely impressed by the sum of Madden 10's presentation efforts.

Sigh.

So you just said "It took about 5 years, but NFL 2K5 is no longer the champion of football presentation." because you had no clue.

Consider a career in games journalism.

You have everything it takes.

dskillzhtown

I looked at more of the presentation stuff. Especially stuff between games with the FMV (atleast it looked like FMV on youtube. I will probably look at the halftime stuff as it has highlights and some stats. But the FMV stuff between games seems to be a bit of a waste. I am glad they went through the trouble of doing it, but it isn't very engaging and honestly serves no purpose. I know that people who don't really tear apart Madden every year will eat it up though. It looks impressive, just doesn't do much.

dskillzhtown

GameGamer said:
Sigh.

So you just said "It took about 5 years, but NFL 2K5 is no longer the champion of football presentation." because you had no clue.

What the hell is that all about? Dude takes the time to post some detailed impressions and you come in just to shit on his writing?

Sigh.

wtf is this? gtfo of here dude

BigAT said:
Thanks for the impressions.

Did you happen to notice if the DE's rushed to the outside enough so that it was much more difficult for the QB to roll out? I'm hoping the formation of a real pocket forces players to stay within it and not be able to take the snap and then make a sprint for the sidelines.

This. Isn't there a forced drop back in this years game to stop the instant sprint out?

GameGamer said:
Sigh.

:lol

I don't know what to say about that to be honest.

Not that your ridiculous troll deserves a serious response, I'll give you one anyway. I'm not sure what sense of consideration you exhibit in your day to day, but I'm not going to sit through every cinematic when there's a line of 5-6 people waiting to play the game behind me. In addition, my feelings about the presentation layer extend far beyond halftime shows (though I know that's very important for many) as the consistency and variety of broadcast touches were excellent.

About your jab regarding games journalism, I didn't get the memo that posting impressions on a forum was held to the same standard as professional website...

If you have something constructive or helpful to add to the discussion, feel free to contribute. But if you're going to come into this thread with the kind of garbage you wrote above, you can kindly go fuck yourself...sir!

Arsenic

Shawnwhann said:

I don't know what to say about that to be honest.

Not that your ridiculous troll deserves a serious response, I'll give you one anyway. I'm not sure what sense of consideration you exhibit in your day to day, but I'm not going to sit through every cinematic when there's a line of 5-6 people waiting to play the game behind me. In addition, my feelings about the presentation layer extend far beyond halftime shows (though I know that's very important for many) as the consistency and variety of broadcast touches were excellent.

About your jab regarding games journalism, I didn't get the memo that posting impressions on a forum was held to the same standard as professional website...

If you have something constructive or helpful to add to the discussion, feel free to contribute. But if you're going to come into this thread with the kind of garbage you wrote above, you can kindly go fuck yourself...sir!

Well said!

Arsenic

Also, while watching that one video I can't help but to notice how still and "frozen" every player and official looked before the snap. It was as if the game froze. I was hoping Madden would have gotten more realistic with the little touches, for the football freaks.

Striker

Wellington said:
Dude, Brandon Jacobs... :lol

Also, I hope they set Ahmad Bradshaw's ability in this area kind of decent. He's a small dude, but brings a punch. Danny Ware and Andre Brown aren't small, either!

Smokey

charsace said:
Thinking I can beat your ass in this game.:D

Doubt it.

Especially now that my Texans will probably get some respect this year.

Not a chance I let you beat me in this!:D :lol

Jtrizzy

Thanks for the impressions. Kind of wish they were sticking with the 4 play screen, makes it that much harder for someone to read your plays.

Also I hope they can fix sideline catches, that shit is really annoying, especially with backs.

custom hot routes for the offense or defense? if it's for the offense they have been there since 2008. if its for the defense the only hot routing that hasn't been available is the shading of receivers and the individual control of CB's to play bump or off.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Striker said:
Dude, Brandon Jacobs... :lol

Also, I hope they set Ahmad Bradshaw's ability in this area kind of decent. He's a small dude, but brings a punch. Danny Ware and Andre Brown aren't small, either!
Did you try using him in last years game? Nowhere near as good at trucking as Joseph Addai, Brian Westbrook, and AP.

As promised here are some additional impressions from day two.

360 vs PS3 Update

I was able to get my hands on a 360 version at the Xbox booth which looked much better than the 360 version playing in EA's booth. The version I played today didn't look as saturated or blurry and the jaggies were much more minimized vs the PS3 version. I'm not sure if it was merely the different displays or if the builds were different, but it was clear that the 360 version

Lead Blocking Is Gone

Spoke with an EA Sports rep and the rationale was that the team didn't think it was part of the core football experience so they cut it out. I kinda liked doing it against guys that were going at me from manual d-line play, but I figured you guys would want to know about that.

Fair Play MAY be Coming Back

The EA Sports rep mentioned that he thinks it's coming back, but he wasn't 100% on that. Good to hear it wasn't a flat out "NO"

Defensive Adjustments

Here's a link to a Twitpic I took of some new defensive hot routes that you're able to use:

photo-1.jpg

The ability to dynamically adjust your zone coverage is something I think a lot of Madden vets will love!

Difference in Elite Quarterbacks vs. Shitty Quarterbacks

There is a difference between quarterbacking as Tony Romo vs Tavaris Jackson(sorry Slo!). I found Romo generally accurate on all throwing levels, and Tavaris Jackson was as well to a lesser extent. The difference was that Jackson didn't have the touch to consistently put the ball where I wanted and he had threw a few "WTF" ducks when pressured and on the run. Speaking of QB pressure...

Pocket Presence and Vibration

Outside of Pro-Tak, this is my favorite new feature of Madden 10 right now. The variance in vibration intensity relative to how imminent a sack was is what impressed me most. It's like a football "Spidey Sense" letting you know that you need to get rid of the ball or get the hell out of the collapsing pocket. As an aside, I saw one sweet animation where ware grabbed Eli's legs on what was going to be a sack, but Eli threw the ball right before his knees hit the turf.

Misc Notes

• In over 6 games, I haven't see the fumble mini-game once scenario once
  • There are no global substitutions from the play calling screen, only formation specific subs
  • Pick 6's result in your defense coming back on the field partially fatigued
  • The Gears of War "Roadie Run" is still in on breakaway touchdowns
  • The Dallas Cowboys have the Wildcat Formation in their playbook...but there's only 3 plays
  • Chain gang is cool, but it's annoying when you're trying to call a timeout as you can't for a second (which mattered when I was down three with :13 on the clock)
  • Game winning field goals have a cool new dramatic camera
  • Warren G was on a kiosk next to me, seemed a lot more approachable than The Game

The tough thing will be waiting two months to get my hands back on the game, but I had a blast checking it out and filling you in on where the game is right now.

Top Bottom