• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Impressions: Madden 2010 and NCAA Football 2010

bluemax

Banned
Was it just me or did the 360 version look a lot nicer than the PS3 version? Maybe it was the TVs I forgot to check if they were different.

The camera angle for passing seems different than in past years as well.

Definitely a lot more presentation stuff than the last two years. Feels more like a tv broadcast now.

I only played one drive on offense and defense but I liked what I played. I have no idea what difficulty it was on but it felt slightly easy on passing and running was just about right.

Also for some reason it felt like everyone was lined up opposite of where they were last year. Chambers and Jackson were reversed and Merriman was on the other side on defense.

Overall I came away impressed, the new presentation stuff makes it feel like a new game.

DMczaf

bluemax said:
Definitely a lot more presentation stuff than the last two years. Feels more like a tv broadcast now.

Meh, Madden 09 had Beyond Broadcast Presentation. 10 fails.

bluemax said:
Was it just me or did the 360 version look a lot nicer than the PS3 version? Maybe it was the TVs I forgot to check if they were different.

I counted four different types of HDTVs in all of the demo kiosks I saw for Madden 10.

Bravia > Sharp > Samsung > NEC in my opinion. Seeing 360's Madden on a Sharp TV vs the NEC TV was like night and day.

bluemax

Banned
deejay8595 said:

Rors and DM are Madden regs, they're just mocking people who normally diss the game.

Shawnwhann said:
I counted four different types of HDTVs in all of the demo kiosks I saw for Madden 10.

Bravia > Sharp > Samsung > NEC in my opinion. Seeing 360's Madden on a Sharp TV vs the NEC TV was like night and day.

That probably explains it. Fucking Madden Wii was a visual nightmare. I remember the first one looking bad but this one still looked bad. Not the art, just dithered and jaggy. The NFL Blitz knock off mode will probably be popular though. I also noticed the teams had different ratings in that game. The Seahawks were an 80 in Madden Wii and a 77 in Madden 10. Chargers were an 85 in Madden Wii and an 88 in Madden 10.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
bluemax said:
Rors and DM are Madden regs, they're just mocking people who normally diss the game.

1neogaf.JPG

Afrikan

Blackace said:
NCAA was the 2nd best sports game of last year... With NBA 2K being first and the Show being a close 3rd... Great year for sports gamers can't wait for these new versions

excuse me sir....

at least add an "IMO" in there somewhere.

but I do agree with you it that its a great year to be a sports gamer.

for me
UFC Unleashed
MLB The Show
Madden 2010
BackBreaker
PES 2010
NBA 2k10

and I'm sure for others
NHL 2010
FIFA 2010
Live 2010
NCAA 2010
FightNight

edit- Also here is a short clip of Madden 10 49ers vs Cowboys in HD *WARNING* mute it...trust me...mute it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnY1yXLNOb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qA7kLdA4I

hadn't heard of this feature yet, but its one that should be a HUGE addition to the online franchise.

accelerated clock run off! basically, you can set the time on the playclock at which time STOPS running off the real clock. i.e. when set at 25 seconds, once 15 seconds runs off (from 40 to 25), no more time is taken off the real clock. perfect for our 6 or 7 min quarters!

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

hadn't heard of this feature yet, but its one that should be a HUGE addition to the online franchise.

accelerated clock run off! basically, you can set the time on the playclock at which time STOPS running off the real clock. i.e. when set at 25 seconds, once 15 seconds runs off (from 40 to 25), no more time is taken off the real clock. perfect for our 6 or 7 min quarters!

Oh yeah, I saw this happening and I couldn't tell if it was a feature or a bug. Haha.

BTW they had the game running on 7 minute quarters when I played.

Striker

FrenchMovieTheme said:

I'm grand at 6 minute quarters!

EDIT

What's up with teams using/wearing away uniforms at the same time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8nctuWbUw&feature=related

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Wouldn't that do some damage to ball control teams? I had teams play possession ball against me last year to keep my offense off of the field - wouldn't this begin to weaken that ball control style of play? Or does the game clock allow you to run time off of it once you break the huddle and approach the line of scrimmage?

GameGamer said:
Sigh.

So you just said "It took about 5 years, but NFL 2K5 is no longer the champion of football presentation." because you had no clue.

Consider a career in games journalism.

You have everything it takes.

just came in to add an extra STFU. what kind of a douche ass post is this

rumors right now are that the salary cap is missing in online franchise. but ian says because the OF is server based, it can and will be fixed via a patch (day 1 i don't know).

lets curb our enthusiasm for OF until we get all the details!

although even if it were to have no cap i could always institute a cap myself and reject pickups/trades that would exceed. just be a lot of extra work, but considering they built online franchise from the ground up in 1 year we couldn't expect everything to go over smoothly could we!

Striker

True; I see your rejection idea. Though a problem could arise if a team, say Bears, want a WR badly and there's one who's good, but nothing great (say he's 88 overall), he'll have to overpay in order to get that player.

I hope its patched or there is a CAP, because a team overloading and not exactly "paying his dues" wouldn't be fun.

LukeSmith

Striker said:
True; I see your rejection idea. Though a problem could arise if a team, say Bears, want a WR badly and there's one who's good, but nothing great (say he's 88 overall), he'll have to overpay in order to get that player.

I hope its patched or there is a CAP, because a team overloading and not exactly "paying his dues" wouldn't be fun.

MrBob to be Madden league Steinbrenner confirmed

TheLegendary said:
Or you can actually watch the videos and listen to the people who have played the game and disagree with your assesment...

He's being sarcastic and playing the role of what many people say in Madden threads....especially those on Operation Sports.

Plus he's a Buccaneers fan so that automatically means that he isn't right in the head. :D

there's also rumors that there may not be the same trade logic with the CPU in an online franchise that there is in regular franchise.... which means i would ban all CPU trades if there are any cpu teams!

i hope EA nails down this small stuff, be a real shame to let something as "small" as a true salary cap pull down an otherwise great feature

FrenchMovieTheme said:
there's also rumors that there may not be the same trade logic with the CPU in an online franchise that there is in regular franchise.... which means i would ban all CPU trades if there are any cpu teams!

i hope EA nails down this small stuff, be a real shame to let something as "small" as a true salary cap pull down an otherwise great feature

Another rumor is that since the Online Franchise is server based, Ian said they could patch in stuff like salary caps, etc...post release.

Striker

storybook77 said:
Another rumor is that since the Online Franchise is server based, Ian said they could patch in stuff like salary caps, etc...post release.
The hope is they do that ASAP!

... I think I want to take the Browns, and no, I won't deal Braylon without something good in return!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
rumors right now are that the salary cap is missing in online franchise. but ian says because the OF is server based, it can and will be fixed via a patch (day 1 i don't know).

lets curb our enthusiasm for OF until we get all the details!

although even if it were to have no cap i could always institute a cap myself and reject pickups/trades that would exceed. just be a lot of extra work, but considering they built online franchise from the ground up in 1 year we couldn't expect everything to go over smoothly could we!
:lol

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
League should start in September just to make sure!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
sportzhead said:
I'm curious, what are the benefits of using the accelerated clock feature?

the clock is accelorated.... Meaning the game goes faster. Also prevents people from milking the clock too early on.

accelerated clock and accelerated clock run off are actually two different things and this is why they are important:

1. accelerated clock - basically you have 40 seconds on your playclock. WITHOUT accelerated clock, you could feasibly take up an entire 6 minute quarter with a 10 play drive IF you wanted to. of course this doesn't factor in possible incompletions but you get the point. we have had rules against this in the past (i.e. hike the ball with 25 seconds or more on the playclock), but it is basically impossible to monitor.

WITH accelerated clock, once you are on the playcall screen your gameclock runs from 40 seconds to 25 seconds in about 2 seconds. so, 2 seconds of REAL game clock have gone out, and now you only have 25 seconds to pick your play or "milk" the clock. so it saves 15 seconds of milking

2. accelerated clock RUN OFF is new and a feature that i didn't even think of but is going to be awesome. basically, you can set how much real clock time is taken off during the playclock. so lets say you want to let the offense run off a max of 15 real time seconds, you set it to 25 seconds. this means that between 40 and 25 seconds of the playclock, the real clock is ticking down as well. but once the playclock reaches 25, no more real time off the clock comes off, so you cannot milk at all really

these wouldn't be a big deal at all if you were playing 15 minute quarters. but if you look at the percentages, for a 6 minute quarter it is ONLY fair to have these in. there have been times in leagues past where i dont touch the ball for nearly an entire quarter.

"well play some defense then!" yeah i know, but sometimes when someone has your number on that side of the ball you just need to keep up the scoring until you can figure some things out.

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
accelerated clock and accelerated clock run off are actually two different things and this is why they are important:

1. accelerated clock - basically you have 40 seconds on your playclock. WITHOUT accelerated clock, you could feasibly take up an entire 6 minute quarter with a 10 play drive IF you wanted to. of course this doesn't factor in possible incompletions but you get the point. we have had rules against this in the past (i.e. hike the ball with 25 seconds or more on the playclock), but it is basically impossible to monitor.

WITH accelerated clock, once you are on the playcall screen your gameclock runs from 40 seconds to 25 seconds in about 2 seconds. so, 2 seconds of REAL game clock have gone out, and now you only have 25 seconds to pick your play or "milk" the clock. so it saves 15 seconds of milking

2. accelerated clock RUN OFF is new and a feature that i didn't even think of but is going to be awesome. basically, you can set how much real clock time is taken off during the playclock. so lets say you want to let the offense run off a max of 15 real time seconds, you set it to 25 seconds. this means that between 40 and 25 seconds of the playclock, the real clock is ticking down as well. but once the playclock reaches 25, no more real time off the clock comes off, so you cannot milk at all really

these wouldn't be a big deal at all if you were playing 15 minute quarters. but if you look at the percentages, for a 6 minute quarter it is ONLY fair to have these in. there have been times in leagues past where i dont touch the ball for nearly an entire quarter.

"well play some defense then!" yeah i know, but sometimes when someone has your number on that side of the ball you just need to keep up the scoring until you can figure some things out.

You know, I didn't appreciate your efforts on making these anti clock milking rules until I lost a game in NCAA to someone who milked the shit out of the clock starting with 2 minutes left in the third.

I had started the game poorly but was clicking on offense and he knew it, I had the better team and I had a good chance of coming back, but my defense was struggling against his run (fuck the option). With the rules FMT has made I would've got the ball back with about 4 minutes to go in the fourth and would have been able to put together a good drive. Instead I had maybe a minute and a half and had to rush things.

Neither he nor the commissioner saw anything wrong with that.

http://www.operationsports.com/videoview_game.php?id=581

a bunch of vids at op sports. some things i've seen that i like:

1. maybe this was there last year (i don't know, the only qb's i played with would warrant their own animations) but the qb's i have seen in the game have looked and thrown like their real life counterparts. romo looks like romo, mcribb looks like mcribb, and cutler looks like cutler. nice.

2. EA promised "if the defender can't see it, he can't make a play on it" and they seem to be delivering. take a look at one of the cowboy/eagles vids where roy williams is running a slant over the LB pursuing the FB in the flats. the ball sails right past the lb, but his head is looking ONLY at the RB in the flats and he makes no play on the ball. perfect

3. no WR warping that i have seen, evidence on one of the videos on a deep out by mcnabb. you can see his receiver cut and is still a short distance from the ball (a typical "WR warps but the CB doesn't easy catch"). in this instance, the receiver GETS to the ball, but it is in a normal fashion without warping. also happens that the cb gets there too to break the pass up.

however, the running game still concerns me. too often i am seeing the D-line/LB in the backfield immediately. this just doesn't happen in the NFL on a consistent basis. hopefully it is tweaked before release!

Arsenic said:
Also, while watching that one video I can't help but to notice how still and "frozen" every player and official looked before the snap. It was as if the game froze. I was hoping Madden would have gotten more realistic with the little touches, for the football freaks.
Holy fuck I thought I was alone in thinking that. :lol :lol I thought we were watching a replay and someone paused it or something. Can we get some breathing, flitching, twitching, hand/finger stretching/flexing, pointing... anything?!?! :lol :lol

are you guys only watching 1 video? watch some of the others. you see offensive lineman pointing, defensive lineman pointing, and plenty of movement

Ænima

Wellington said:
If what you guys miss in NFL 2K5 is the fucking *presentation* - you guys are crazy. Presentation gets old three games in, and 2K5 is 5 years old at this point.
QFT. I watched Berman and company's half-time report maybe twice before skipping it every time after that. It is certainly nothing to pine over.

the running animations in this game are horrible, and the pro tak cpu tackling ai is as gentle as a butler. Just comes up to the ball carrier and attaches himself and help the ball carrier to the ground. Their is no violence when the cpu ai attacks the ball carrier. The one on one tackles are good and I just can't believe Madden 2004 running animations on the PS2 are far superior to Madden 10

Rorschach

RJNavarrete said:
Holy fuck I thought I was alone in thinking that. :lol :lol I thought we were watching a replay and someone paused it or something. Can we get some breathing, flitching, twitching, hand/finger stretching/flexing, pointing... anything?!?! :lol :lol
WTF? They're signaling, moving and twitching every pre-snap on defense. And when the LBs aren't signaling, moving up to the line, or bluffing, they're swaying. And the DL moves their hands and some get jumpy (especially the DEs).

the running animations in this game are horrible, and the pro tak cpu tackling ai is as gentle as a butler. Just comes up to the ball carrier and attaches himself and help the ball carrier to the ground. Their is no violence when the cpu ai attacks the ball carrier. The one on one tackles are good and I just can't believe Madden 2004 running animations on the PS2 are far superior to Madden 10
:lol Are they supposed to bowl over their own guys during a gang tackle? What more violence do you want?

btw- I just played 06, which was 10x better than 04, and you're full of it. They didn't even have full directional movement in 04.

have you ever seen a real gang tackle? it's not like a RB gets engaged, then 7 or 8 guys come up and simultaneously put full force into the tackle breaking all his limbs off. here is a real gang tackle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJSu...B39DFB9B5&index=8&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

and here is madden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bERtB5bgPuA&feature=PlayList&p=872227EB39DFB9B5&index=9

and as far as the running animations looking better, are you the same guy on youtube who has that video about madden 04 being superior to madden 10? lol

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
and as far as the running animations looking better, are you the same guy on youtube who has that video about madden 04 being superior to madden 10? lol

That dude is hilarious :lol

He also cried about Madden having tons of a lag, and the way to fix it is create a play.....yeah, I don't understand that logic either.

Let see the lead designer(Ian) agrees with me and is trying to add more umph to the cpu ai arrival to the ball carrier. And anyone whose played on that side of the ball also knows you attack the ball carrier by going through him, not running up to him to hang on

Ian qoute from this thread.

The biggest missing feature is probably carrying through velocity from original animations -> PRO-TAK. You can see that on the Lendale White video...meaning that when players transition from a normal mocap tackle into PRO-TAK stuff their velocities get zeroed out (meaning they stop in place). This will definitely be addressed before we ship...our goal is that you don't even notice the transition from one to the other...it should just look like another guy added on seamlessly. This is causing a lot of the feeling of "it needs more umph"...

this is from 5/09/2009

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...adden-nfl-10-pro-tak-whats-not-there-yet.html

So save all the snarky comments.

The jetpacking is definitely gone. There were several plays where balls that were just out of my range...stayed out of my range. Which was perfect!

Sideline catches aren't quite there yet. I saw a few animations where the receivers got tight with their feet, and other times where it was typical "run out happily" Madden.

BTW, posting this for cholker's relaunched web app for iPhone. Works perfectly!

To add to what I was saying earlier about pro tak Ian posted today 6/06/09 about the addittional tunning they have done on pro tak and its much better.

I was a bit concerned with the E3 build (like most of you probably were) that were a lot of times where defenders would just bounce off instead of wrapping up. I am happy to say it is much improved...just played a full game against Donny (I was Vikings, he was Cardinals - he killed me BTW), and it was WAY better ... much more predictable and reliable than the E3 build.

I dug deeper to see what happened and found out that before E3 there was some tuning being done to dictate when gang tackles could be triggered, and the primary criteria was the angle of the ballcarrier in relation to the ground. Meaning, if a player was about to fall / touch the ground, he shouldn't be able to be gang tackled (obviously because he would warp back to upright). Apparently there were a few bugs in this calculation though, so often times it would think he was leaned over when in fact he wasn't. Now it has been tuned much more appropriately, and the gang tackles are really looking great.

As a side note, the momentum in PRO-TAK is also much more pronounced as well (and also finally doesn't stop when the players engage...it keeps moving throughout the tackle) Both Beanie Wells and Peterson really felt like they were carrying those first 2 defenders when they had a head of steam...which looked and felt great. Unfortunately I don't have vids but I'll try to get some soon.

Thought you'd like the update...on to looking at everyone's other favorite issue - the pass rush!

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/323844-whew-pro-tak-much-better-now.html

Rorschach

Oh wow, a comment that has nothing to do with "violence" and more to do with wrapping....which is what you didn't want? THEY'RE JUST HANGIN' ON! Also has nothing to do with madden 04 or running animations.

i have to admit ian has been awesome since taking over on madden. he is active in the community, takes criticism, and doesn't flat out lie about anything. last year around the time madden 09 was coming out he was making a lot of promises about what he would do THIS year in madden 10 to improve the game, and i think he has kept good on most if not all of those promises when i KNOW he had to be getting push back from upper management about the direction of the game.

kudos to ian!

Rorschach said:
Oh wow, a comment that has nothing to do with "violence" and more to do with wrapping....which is what you didn't want? THEY'RE JUST HANGIN' ON! Also has nothing to do with madden 04 or running animations.

Madden 10 running animations is shit so deal with it, 04 had a more lean and thrust per step combo with head and shoulder movement thats the crux of my argument.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i have to admit ian has been awesome since taking over on madden. he is active in the community, takes criticism, and doesn't flat out lie about anything. last year around the time madden 09 was coming out he was making a lot of promises about what he would do THIS year in madden 10 to improve the game, and i think he has kept good on most if not all of those promises when i KNOW he had to be getting push back from upper management about the direction of the game.

kudos to ian!

Does he get a piece of that sweet gf/wife action if he gets salary caps in?

Top Bottom