• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] New SEKIRO (Shadows Die Twice) trailer from From Software

brap

Banned
Might have a little more to do with the fact that From has been making souls games like 10 years in a row? nahhhh fanboyz el oh el
I'm sorry all you know from From is one series. They've made 10 other games in the past 10 years other than souls. Not everything needs to be souls shit.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Honestly the graphics looked super rough. Almost like a last gen game.

The gameplay looked interesting but too similar to bloodborne, so it wouldn't be a huge departure. It seems it may have some souls structure and we just had a samurai game with NiOh that did it. I doubt FROM will match the action gameplay that team Ninja is capable of, so I am curious how they will position this. Also there is ghost of tsu...soemthing. too many samurai games lately. Where is my onimusha?

Zannegan

Looks rough visually. On the other hand, I'm excited to see them inject even more mobility into the Souls (maybe?) gameplay. Bloodborne was the first souls game that really clicked with me because of that enhanced agility over DS. I also like the harpoon arm. Watch rope-darts/harpoons/ziplines become this year's "Bow and Arrow" mechanic.

Traxtech

What if this was a side project.. and they're announcing Bloodborne 2 at Sony hence why Sony didn't fight for this reveal.... Mind blown

Pejo

Looks fucking awesome. Left hand looks like it has lots of uses. Grappling onto the horse guy looks fun as hell. Magic seems to be in (or at least gunpowder). I'm curious to find out if it's generic character story or an actual story about the MC this time. Personally I like it when it's generic in the Soulsborne series, but could be cool the other way too.

Maddrical

Pretty fucking hyped for this, not what I expected at all but it looks good. According to the Polygon article Miyazaki is directing it so I'm 10000% in.

I wasn't a huge fan of Nioh's combat or atmosphere, it just didn't nail either aspect as much as I expect from these games. Granted, I didn't get far. I still want to buy a copy and play through it, I only borrowed it for a couple of days.

McHuj

Hyped for a new From game, but the graphics looks like garbage, like an early gen launch title. I hope that improves, but i'll play anyway.

Honestly the graphics looked super rough. Almost like a last gen game.

Really? Apparently my iPad really enhanced the visuals, because I don't think it looked last gen at all.

I think a lot of people have forgotten what last gen looked like. (kinda like people always saying something looks like "PS2 graphics")

So much complaining and negativity all the time now it seems... Everyone should get back to the fun.

Last edited:

DonF

I liked it!! FromSoftware can be working in other games. I hope we get to see more of it. The movements look awesome.
I guess many are disappointed that this game was teased in a Playstation event, so many expected something related to demon souls or bloodborne. Relax, we still have tomorrow.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I tried Bloodbourne and although I enjoyed my time with it I couldn't really get over the difficulty and also wasn't a huge fan of the art style.

This looks a lot more my style (in terms of setting and art style) and I hope that there is a more forgiving difficulty setting for less capable players. Definitely interested in seeing more.

Mibuokami

Am so hyped for this! Game of the show so far for me. The combat system looks interesting with a lot of parrying and sword clashing.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I seriously want someone to show me a side by side of a late gen PS3 game compared to this and say that it's early last gen graphics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think you guys need accept the fact FromSoftware doesn't make high end graphics for their games. They kind of like Atlus is that they let their art direction do the talking.

ill say i dont know how people arent excited for this. this doesnt look like it plays like dark souls at all and it does probably seem more tenchu with the hook and the character seems to be hiding which means stealth. the only time it was all action is when he was fighting some sort of boss which was like 90 percent of the combat shown. just the hook alone isnt in any way shape or form souls esque. not even bloodborne. the only real fault ill give this game is i think the graphics arent that great. bloodborne and ds3 both look better graphically

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I kept thinking it was early Alpha considering there aren't any user interfaces, bars, effects around the environment. Plus the faces of the characters don't look complete.

It looks fun as hell. The snake on the bridge looks cool. I just hope they don't pull a Nioh and have the same enemy appear over and over again.

I'm excited that we have this kind of game to look forward to. This and Ghost of Tsushima, but honestly I'm not wanting to compare it to anything. I'm glad they're taking this genre to heart.

Last edited:

kischine

The graphics are fine, there is still 1 year till the release. If you don't remember try searching for the project beast, the first trailers and the beta of Bloodborne.

Sekiro will be fine, and I'm betting one of my all time favorite games.

Ah, also, I don't think there will be moving mouths

Last edited:
i have a feeling seiko is gonna super polarizing. people are gonna expect souls and its not gonna going to be that. watching the trailer again this game definitely looks stealth. dude sliding against a wall and under the floor. getting the hook to get a height advantage. they showed fighting against pretty much bosses. i cant wait

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ah, also, I don't think there will be moving mouths

This is a good response. I watched it again and I agree. It could arguably be awesome. It's better to watch the trailer a second time.

Mouths not moving are fine. It hits the meat grinder because of different expectations. I see a plateau of genres this game is attempting to bounce off. I must have had a sketchy connection during my initial viewing.

Games like Ninja Gaiden, Genji, Nioh and Onimusha fought in this type of setting. That fight on the hill with the tall enemy with the thing around his neck reminded me of many different games. Boss battles at the edge of the city. It's probably a mixture of our experience versus what this game has to offer. It's probably too soon to tell.

Last edited:

kevm3

This is pretty much one of the few games I'm looking forward to. The new Skyrim and Cyberpunk look cool as well.

duhmetree

The character models did look weak. As well as the colors, flat.

But the world detail looked great. I'm guessing 1Q 2019?

Ar¢tos

I never expected FROM to sellout to Activision... but at least its not EA.
This game has to be really fucking good for me to buy it. The last Activision game I bought was Destiny 1 and I kinda regret it. If there is a single whiff of Mt's or loot boxes or unnecessary DLCs, I'm out.

Activision is unquestionably a concern. Not because I think they'll tinker with From and manipulate game development. I doubt they will, as From has shown the ability to be both a critical and commercial success. The issue is with microtransactions and the stuff surrounding the game. Activision is the kind of company to screw around with that kind of stuff.

The trailer looks amazing and I'm really looking forward to the game, but I really wish it were published by Bandai-Namco, as I'm far more comfortable with them. But maybe Activision will understand that From can sell games just by their name and not force microtransactions in, but I have a hard time believing Activision won't screw with it.

duhmetree

Activision is unquestionably a concern. Not because I think they'll tinker with From and manipulate game development. I doubt they will, as From has shown the ability to be both a critical and commercial success. The issue is with microtransactions and the stuff surrounding the game. Activision is the kind of company to screw around with that kind of stuff.

The trailer looks amazing and I'm really looking forward to the game, but I really wish it were published by Bandai-Namco, as I'm far more comfortable with them. But maybe Activision will understand that From can sell games just by their name and not force microtransactions in, but I have a hard time believing Activision won't screw with it.
ATVI is the publisher. They will take care of marketing and distribution.

ATVI is the publisher. They will take care of marketing and distribution.
Exactly. And part of that is the microtransactions. You think it was Dice who put in the microtransactions in Battlefront? Or do you think it was Monolith who put microtransactions in Shadow of War? That stuff is publisher related, pushed on the devs to allow them to publish their games. From isn't exactly a rich company, not like poor or anything, and I'm sure Activision invested a lot in the game for From, and I'm sure they'll demand they put in microtransactions to compensate. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about it.

duhmetree

Exactly. And part of that is the microtransactions. You think it was Dice who put in the microtransactions in Battlefront? Or do you think it was Monolith who put microtransactions in Shadow of War? That stuff is publisher related, pushed on the devs to allow them to publish their games. From isn't exactly a rich company, not like poor or anything, and I'm sure Activision invested a lot in the game for From, and I'm sure they'll demand they put in microtransactions to compensate. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about it.

They are not publisher related, unless the publisher is your parent company. ie ATVI and CoD; EA and all their studios

Last edited:

PsyEd

FFS From Software....why no Sequel for Otogi. Games look like Ninja Gaiden last minute blocks and bosses with a touch of demon souls....where you die...a lot.

sublimit

Banned
To be honest i expected it to be a bit more artistically impressive but it's a FromSoft title and i trust them like few other studios so it's day 1 for me. Looking forward to learn more about it.

Top Bottom