• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] The Division 2

llien

Ubisoft has had a surprise announcement of The Division 2 leaked after its press release popped up online, seemingly earlier than planned.

The announcement is fairly low-key - it's a pledge to keep The Division 1 updated for the foreseeable future (more on that in a moment) but that the team at Massive Entertainment is now working on a sequel.

The Division 2 will again run on the studio's own Snowdrop Engine, albeit an updated version.

Development will be assisted by (deep breath) Ubisoft Annecy, Redstorm, Reflections, Ubisoft Bucharest and Ubisoft Shanghai.

There are no screenshots or gameplay or even a teaser video for The Division 2. You'll just have to wait - more on the game will be unveiled at E3 2018 in June, Ubisoft has said.

The Division 1, meanwhile, will continue to receive updates for the immediate future - including an Xbox One X update to polish the game's visuals.

In June, The Division will be able to unlock in-game achievement Crests which then unlock rewards in The Division 2 when the sequel launches - whenever that is.

Eurogamer

HurtPotato

Neo Member
I never got round to finishing the first game. I found it very repetitive. Be interesting to see how they can improve.

Blam

Hopefully this improvement is an actual upgrade, not like how Destiny 1 is compared to D2.

Doctor_m3ds

Neo Member
Yeah my biggest fear is that it’s a Destiny 2 situation where all the improvements patched in over the last few years are gone and in its place is a very shallow game.

Unity2012

I stopped playing the first one after spending a lot of hours in it; then came back a few months later and the game had improved a ton. I like the commitment they had to make it better. I wish other developers will learn and follow up with their communities. Glad to know they are enhancing the first one, I still play it since it's practically a new game since the overhaul.

They might stay in my Home town New Yawk and just expand to different boroughs, plus weather changes...don't forget, X enhanced........fam.

VertigoOA

Banned
Played a good amount at launch. Jumped back in for the west side piers update (where I'm working now ironically).

It's still pretty boring... but eh it has its loot hooks on point but the it's still kinda meh overall.

Last edited:

Wunray

They did a good job of turning the division around so let's hope the don't make the same mistakes bungie made.

AlphaMale

Loved the hell out of Division 1. (even Platinum'd it!)
Can't wait for D2... just hope they don't mess around with it too much.

Bolivar687

Banned
Put dozens of hours into the Division before stepping away... then came back after the underground and last stand to log a couple dozen more. Really great game, my favorite "new" IP of this gen. ÷2 is Day 1.

VertigoOA

Banned
It really needs to do something interesting tho. The enemy encounters and missions felt elementary and boring as hell. They never really built on that much either.

KevinKeene

Banned
Never happening. Switch doesn't even have a competent online solution let alone the power to run it.

Neither have I interest in Division 2 nor do I think a Switch port is likely. But the Switch could absolutely handle a shooter and Switch is supposed to receive its online service this year.

VertigoOA

Banned
Neither have I interest in Division 2 nor do I think a Switch port is likely. But the Switch could absolutely handle a shooter and Switch is supposed to receive its online service this year.

Yea a shooter designed for it. Not the division. Would need such a downgrade that you might as well call it The Subtraction.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I found it fun but couldn't really get into it as the bad guys became super bullet sponges. Did that ever get fixed or handled?

Horns

In June, The Division will be able to unlock in-game achievement Crests which then unlock rewards in The Division 2 when the sequel launches - whenever that is.

My guess is they'll do this to coincide with E3 and tie in to the TD2 beta.

NickFire

I think they need to make the base game for part 1 free, or at least make it a bonus ps+ game, ASAP. I have no idea what kind of user base they have, because despite my interest the reviews and user reviews just never swayed me to spend money on it. Here's what I do know though: I literally have never seen anyone on my or my kids' friend's lists playing this game, and have never heard anything about this game from any person outside of message boards. Sole exception was when I asked my brother and brother in law if they wanted to try it when we were playing something else and it was on sale. They both said no because they heard its not that good. I also know that it seems my kids have started playing Fortnight with pretty much every other kid in their circle of friends. And they love it, and it seems to not have even fully launched yet. Almost getting to Minecraft levels from a few years ago. I mention this to suggest I think that game will be around for a while, and may dominate interests for a good portion of it.

In short, unless they have a hell of a user base, which I doubt based on my personal observations, they need to take steps to make sure there's an interest whenever the sequel launches.

Droxcy

The newer updates really enhanced my experience in division. Hoping they truly build upon the first one and it's mistakes and make it a good one.

wildstrike

The Division is one of my favorite games this generation. It had a bad launch and I even sold my copy initially. I bought it again once (Gold version) the survivor update came out and the game was significatly better between the various patches, Underground and Survivor. While Survivor isn't battle royal there are elements to that and it was out in 2016, way before PUBG and the BR hype train started. It is easily one of the best designed worlds this generation. There is so much detail hidden within the game.

Blam

I think they need to make the base game for part 1 free, or at least make it a bonus ps+ game, ASAP. I have no idea what kind of user base they have, because despite my interest the reviews and user reviews just never swayed me to spend money on it. Here's what I do know though: I literally have never seen anyone on my or my kids' friend's lists playing this game, and have never heard anything about this game from any person outside of message boards. Sole exception was when I asked my brother and brother in law if they wanted to try it when we were playing something else and it was on sale. They both said no because they heard its not that good. I also know that it seems my kids have started playing Fortnight with pretty much every other kid in their circle of friends. And they love it, and it seems to not have even fully launched yet. Almost getting to Minecraft levels from a few years ago. I mention this to suggest I think that game will be around for a while, and may dominate interests for a good portion of it.

In short, unless they have a hell of a user base, which I doubt based on my personal observations, they need to take steps to make sure there's an interest whenever the sequel launches.
Fortnite is not going to hit minecraft levels. Minecraft sold 22mill+ copies last year and has 144million copies sold lifetime. With around 74million MAU.

Fortnite has hit 3 million+ users on 3 different platforms. PUBG has nearly all of Fortnite's playerbase as active users on steam alone. PUBG will probably hit it faster then Fortnite without a doubt. PUBG has sold 30 million copies on steam alone.

There's not a fucking chance Fortnite makes it to Minecraft levels.

Last edited:

NickFire

Fortnite is not going to hit minecraft levels. Minecraft sold 22mill+ copies last year and has 144million copies sold lifetime. With around 74million MAU.

Fortnite has hit 3 million+ users on 3 different platforms. PUBG has nearly all of Fortnite's playerbase as active users on steam alone. PUBG will probably hit it faster then Fortnite without a doubt. PUBG has sold 30 million copies on steam alone.

There's not a fucking chance Fortnite makes it to Minecraft levels.
I waded into unintended waters there. I meant it in the context of the obsession I see in those who I see playing it. Did not intend to suggest I thought it was going to match units sold. Should have been more articulate.

And never intended to argue it was better or more popular than PUBG either. To be honest, I had to google PUBG today just to figure out what it stood for.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
The first one has taken great strides since release to actually become a pretty decent game (something I'm not sure it was at release). That being said, I hope the second one offers much more in terms of loot and "theory crafting". As it stands now, you basically just equip a set and call it a day. I'd like it to be a bit more involved than that. I'd also like to see more done with end-game content. I'm excited to see what they do with the second one.

B_Boss

Only way I'm getting this is if it comes with a refund for The Division 1

Have you not played Division 1 since Massive really began improving the game? (1.4 update onward) Its been improved greatly since launch. I wonder how this will tie into a potential PS5 launch...Like...are they developing for next gen consoles as well or...etc.

Last edited:

Koutsoubas

It's clear by now, games as services dont work. Developers dont have the know-how to make them NOT utterly boring, repetitive and bare-bones.

Please stop

120v

It's clear by now, games as services dont work. Developers dont have the know-how to make them NOT utterly boring, repetitive and bare-bones.

Please stop

sure are a lot of people still playing Division for a game that "doesn't work"

VertigoOA

Banned
sure are a lot of people still playing Division for a game that "doesn't work"

GAAS rocks. Haters can hate. These games keep getting supported and give you more reasons to play. Love them. One game can last you a long ass time.

Zannegan

Please stop

I was listening to a recent Gamescoop episode that discussed Ubisoft's claim that service-model games see significantly higher second and third year sales than games of the traditional play-once model. If those kinds of games make them more money--and they have hard data that says they do--then, from their perspective, it does work. As long as this remains true, they will never stop making them, and, while GAAS doesn't cater to my tastes, as long as they aren't exploiting their consumers there's really nothing wrong with that. Quasi-MMOs and Battle Royale style games are here for the forseeable future.

Stiler

I hope the new one is more interesting. Less focus on "collectibles" and more on providing interesting sidequests and more rpg like elements within the world.

Exploring the game wasn't really that fun in the first one because of the nature of the way they laid the world out and lack of this.

Also the dark zone should be less "gamey" and more well like a lawless part of the world, still have quests and things within it but not the push for getting "loot" and then a weird "helicoptering" it out while people just camp that spot and pk everyone. There should be incentives for you know, helping other players and being "good" and consequences for those that do want to pk and be those type of players. It should all tie back into the main world of the game, so if you go into the dark zone and just pk people then npc's and others in the rest of the world react to your actions.

CoolNameGuy91

Neo Member
I expected one of the most average games ever made from the beginning with the first one. Glitches aside, the beta was kinda fun. Not fun enough, but still. Point being, a sequel has potential to me

Bluecondor

I'm in.

I played The Division for over a year solid. I got tired of replaying the same missions over and over, but it is one of my favorite games of all-time.

ZehDon

Hopefully this improvement is an actual upgrade, not like how Destiny 1 is compared to D2.
Off topic: I think it just highlights the depth of what Bungie actually did with Destiny 2 when people are hesitant for sequels to similar games in case they follow Bungie's path. 2017 was dominated by sequels, as are most years in this industry. We scream and cheer for them at E3 like nothing else. And yet, The Division 2 is dogged by Bungie's lacklustre sequel because no one wants anything like it. I haven't seen such a sustained ... hatred for a game since No Man's Sky. And hell, we eventually softened on that one. It seems Bungie really did burn their name with Destiny 2.

On topic: In. I hope its set in Tokyo, with a variable climate.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Only played the Demo of Number 1 and didn't enjoy it at all... let's see what they change for the sequel.

VertigoOA

Banned
Off topic: I think it just highlights the depth of what Bungie actually did with Destiny 2 when people are hesitant for sequels to similar games in case they follow Bungie's path. 2017 was dominated by sequels, as are most years in this industry. We scream and cheer for them at E3 like nothing else. And yet, The Division 2 is dogged by Bungie's lacklustre sequel because no one wants anything like it. I haven't seen such a sustained ... hatred for a game since No Man's Sky. And hell, we eventually softened on that one. It seems Bungie really did burn their name with Destiny 2.

On topic: In. I hope its set in Tokyo, with a variable climate.

Destiny has always been treated like this since day one. Same way Division was treated since day one.

It's just faux gamers yelling at the sky and many seem to forget how these games were always treated outside of their respective community topics on places like GAF. It was always driveby shitposting and most of the time you could tell people were full of shit.

The truth is, these games keep going. With each new content drop, players come back, improvements and changes are made.

At their core Destiny 2 is an excellent shooter. At its core Division was one of the better cover shooters.

I don't expect Division 2 or Anthem to not get the same kind of bullshit treatment for forum goers. But I tend to enjoy these kind of games a great deal. I don't need to play gen everyday. There's other games out there to play in between content drops. People want to wait til the tail end of their life to play, that's their loss - they will not have gotten the experiences the more hardcore players in these communities have received.

Last edited:

Blam

Destiny has always been treated like this since day one. Same way Division was treated since day one.

It's just faux gamers yelling at the sky and many seem to forget how these games were always treated outside of their respective community topics on places like GAF. It was always driveby shitposting and most of the time you could tell people were full of shit.

The truth is, these games keep going. With each new content drop, players come back, improvements and changes are made.

At their core Destiny 2 is an excellent shooter. At its core Division was one of the better cover shooters.

I don't expect Division 2 or Anthem to not get the same kind of bullshit treatment for forum goers. But I tend to enjoy these kind of games a great deal. I don't need to play gen everyday. There's other games out there to play in between content drops. People want to wait til the tail end of their life to play, that's their loss - they will not have gotten the experiences the more hardcore players in these communities have received.
Oh yeah at their cores they are both good games. But the shit that surrounded both of them was what made or broke it. Destiny 2 is a perfect example of tasking all of the improvements to the game and just tossing them right the fuck out the window

hiphopcr

Have you not played Division 1 since Massive really began improving the game? (1.4 update onward) Its been improved greatly since launch.
Didn't buy the DLC and was ultra letdown by the base vanilla game.... sounds like the additional content really saved the day tho

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GAAS rocks. Haters can hate. These games keep getting supported and give you more reasons to play. Love them. One game can last you a long ass time.

Agreed. Isn't Assassin's Creed: Origins considered a GAAS? It has gotten quite a few free updates (including a half decent DLC thus far), for a strong SP title. I think the issue comes when there are games like Destiny 1, where they have such small amounts of content and force you to pay a good chunk of change to get more. This tends to overshadow the good GAAS that exist.

Top Bottom