• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] The Division 2

Xiaoki

I think there's a balance to be struck, but it needs to be slightly weighed in favor of good gunplay, not RPG mechanics. If you build your game to be a gritty and modern with all these fancy looking realistic firearms...then you can't blame the player when he's unhappy that he just had to spend a clip to drop a thug in nothing but a t-shirt and some jeans. It's like selling cans of Coke filled with Pepsi.
Coke and Pepsi are the same thing: crappy sodas. People can delude themselves into thinking there is some massive difference between the two of them but there isnt.

Applies to RPG style shooters as well, people think there is some massive difference between a modern shooter like The Division and a sci-fi shooter like Destiny but there isnt.

The big difference are in peoples heads.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Coke and Pepsi are the same thing: crappy sodas. People can delude themselves into thinking there is some massive difference between the two of them but there isnt.

Applies to RPG style shooters as well, people think there is some massive difference between a modern shooter like The Division and a sci-fi shooter like Destiny but there isnt.

Not sure what you're saying. Coke and Pepsi taste noticeably different and are branded differently. The Division and Destiny have enough mayor differences to fill an essay, both mechanically and aesthetically.

Unless of course the military is currently fighting the Cabal with laser rifles in New York and CNN are just sleeping on the story. You tell me.

VoidTheory

Neo Member
I never got round to finishing the first game. I found it very repetitive. Be interesting to see how they can improve.
It is indeed very repetitive, but Massive tried and somewhat failed at informing the public that this game was meant to be viewed as an RPG. I got it very early on and had fun, but realized I had seen most of the content after about a week or so. It wasn't bad, but the comparisons to it having a Destiny-like endgame were charitable at best, at a time when Destiny wasn't even particularly good.
I recently upgraded to the deluxe version of the game, and after playing for a week or so I am very impressed with what's been done, and much of it has been for free. There is a staggering amount of varied content in it now, in my opinion, though that may just be because of what was on offer initially. It does feel like there's depth there, and there's plenty of experimentation to be done. If same-ish encounters with different variables aren't your thing, though, it probably still isn't for you.

YayNJ

Banned
Didn't know what thread to bump, and certainly didn't want to start a new thread about it..

So .. I pre-ordered the Division 2 a while ago, and just now I got an email, saying because I did that, here's a code for a free month of gamepass to go with it. Is there a chance MS is going to slyly launch this as a GP title on the Xbox? :messenger_astonished:

Feel free call me a loony :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom