• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Nintendo E3 2018 Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate the show

• A

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • B

Votes: 46 12.4%
  • C

Votes: 91 24.5%
  • D

Votes: 124 33.4%
  • E

Votes: 97 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andyliini

They really should have shown everything that would at least come out until E3 2019 and have the later directs just be more info on those games.

It's a double-edged sword as people also expect new info from from those Directs as well. I hope their 2019 line-up is much stronger, so they can have a great showing again.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Where the F is the legit Animal Crossing?

Sony won this entire thing. No one else brought the megatons. There wasn't even Metroid Prime 4.

OH-MyCar

You're forgetting octopath, wolfenstin, the world ends with you, Dragonball z fighters and monster Hunter generations. They don't have a bad release schedule at all

Considering only one of those were announced today (albeit already leaked), that's still a bit of a problem.

Z3M0G

I just realized they didn't show Metroid 4, but I'm still insanely satisfied with that Direct... and I don't even care about Smash!

Fire Emblem looked amazing (I don't usually care about those either), and I'm most excited to learn more about Daemon X Machina, that looked incredible!

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, new Fire Emblem and substantial (looks like it) DLC for XC2 is great, along with cool mech game that they showed at the beginning and Hollow Knight (which i really want to buy but awaiting for info about the game's performance on Switch - anyone?), but damn, no Prime 4? So disappointed.

Also, do you guys think that there'll be Smash demo? I haven't played any game of this series and i don't know if i'll like it or not.... looks good though.

P.S. Looking at how much time they've spent showing off Smash, i think that they don't need to show it at all in any future Directs cuz they showed basically everything you need to know about it.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I really feel like they should not have shown Metroid Prime 4 last year, it's clearly still very early in development. Then again, response to Samus Returns would have been much more negative without it. Glad I don't work in marketing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would rate this C
I really liked DAEMON X MACHINA and LOVED Xenoblade 2 DLC and new FE game but god damn if you are not Smash fan this Direct was really boring. In all honestly they should have announced that Smash will have everybody and then later on make dedicated Direct for Smash to show off features and characters.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Pathetic showing. I have very little interest in Smash and don't play RPG's so it was basically a non-existant showing from Nintendo this year. Especially disappointing as I was looking forward to it more than Sony and Microsoft's conferences.

OH-MyCar

E/F for me. I think Fire Emblem looks great for 2019, but 2018 inspires no confidence whatsoever for someone who doesn't care about Smash Bros. Let's Go Pikachu looks interesting, but $100 for the entire package also destroys my enthusiasm.

I'm not quite "selling my Switch", but I think I'm going to leave it unplugged for about half a year. I've probably said it too many times at this point, but I think that was their worst showing since Wii Music.

oagboghi2

Considering only one of those were announced today (albeit already leaked), that's still a bit of a problem.
Only if you're concern is "winning E3" and not, you know, actually playing games.

They should have done what Sony did and announced upfront this is a smash only nintendo direct. Announce the other games in a short direct immediately before E3 or during treehouse. If people came in with their expectations set realistically, it wouldn't be so bad. Instead people got their hopes up extremely high.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They don't have the lineup for 20 million Switch sales.

If they get stuck with inventory to that level, it will be disastrous.

They need something else, maybe New Super mario Bros. 3. Which I was secretly expecting.

KevinKeene

Banned
Gave it a B.

I wanted 3 things from this conference and got 2.

Fire Emblem looks amazing. Serious presentation, new mechanics, and no crossover-bs. Sucks that it's 2019, but still.

And Ridley. Wow. Just pure awesomeness. I almost cried during his reveal. Smash now feels really complete :)
ALSO Gamondorf is no longer a clone,but uses his sword! Hoping for good new modes now.

The Xenoblade 2-DLC looks fantastic, I'm so ready to jump back in. Then there's Daemon X Machina which looks intriguing.

2018 sucks and I question why Nintendo has such release problems when all their teams are now working for one system instead of 2. But they have some good stuff coming.

SGRU

I really regret having bought the Switch. Even the Wii-U has a much better exclusives catalog, which is, in the end, what Nintendo consoles are for.

Andyliini

Cross-play was just confirmed for Fortnite. Basically Switch-players can play qith everyone else except with PS4-players.

Fitzchiv

Switch going on eBay tonight then. I've been waiting for weeks to see if there was any point keeping hold of it, and there isn't. Fair enough Nintendo are doing their own thing, but it's not my thing by the looks of it. Enjoyed Odyssey and BOTW though.

Andyliini

It's Inklings showcase in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the Treehouse right now. Also, it seems like Xenoblade Chronicles 2's story DLC will be also released as a standalone pack.

Fbh

D.
If they didnt spent so much time explaining every small change in smash it would have been like 15 minutes long

KevinKeene

Banned
What I donw understand: Why was Bomberman turned into an assist trophy in Smash? Is he not iconic in Japan? I had hoped him to be playable as he's on par with Megaman, Pacman, etc imo.

Jesus how is 2018 such a pitiful lineup. Im guessing the stole games from 2018 to put into launch year just to start off strong, but had nothing to replace with.

Christ really considering selling switch. Dislike its software future. And since im moving to a state where ill be driving instead of training to work, im want to sell since i only use in handheld mode ever

Has there been ANY discussion of switch online too at e3?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This year, September.
Yeah, just checked the news tab on my Switch and it's September 14 this year. Cool. But there's not separate purchase for this DLC on eShop, only the whole season pass and i don't care about everything else in it, just this new story DLC :(

Last edited:

Larogue

I really want to buy a Switch, but Nintendo always manage to sway me away with such horrible E3 demonstration.

D for disgraceful.

Andyliini

Treehouse segment is over for today. Next up, we have finals fir Splatoon 2 World Championships. It's Japan vs. Europe as GG BoyZ take on BackSquids.

ultrazilla

E. Terrible showing. No Metroid Prime 4, No Retro game. No Fallout: Anniversary Edition. From what I'm hearing, Fortnite is horribly optimized(sub 30fps at times) and looks terrible in docked mode, hardly any first party Nintendo titles announced and imho while I don't mind Smash Brothers, it SHOULD NOT have taken up all that E3 presentation. It began to sink in that as that presentation went on and on that we were not getting anything else announced or shown. Honestly, the Smash Brothers presentation should have been kept to the TreeHouse Live as they ended up going straight to it anyways or a future Nintendo Direct.

My only hope is that they purposely held back content/announcements for upcoming Nintendo Directs.

Not seeing Metroid Prime 4 really stings.

Last edited:
0 people have voted A yet...even the fanboys couldn't bear it...

I mean I would have been happy with something, anything else in the lineup for 2018. I really thought there would at least be one of the three of a Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, or Wind Waker port. Maybe a 3D world port. Something to pad out the release schedule a little bit.

I dunno, maybe they're still trying to milk out sales from BotW or Odyssey, even then it doesn't make sense. It's like "hey we're going to port everything from Wii U and switch" and you go okay, well how about a mario or zelda port. That would be nice, and Nintendo is just "LULNOPE BUY CAPTAIN TOAD AND HYRULE WARRIORS"

edit: Not that I have anything against those titles, just frustrating when Nintendo has ported quite a few Wii U exclusives to Switch then holds out on Mario & Zelda main line titles.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't need a 10/10 E3 every year, just once every 5 years. When you have the 1st party lineup(Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Donkey Kong) that has like 40-50 million hardcore fans FOREVER, that's what gets you through!

I gave it a D because they are giving me one game that I'll buy in Smash Bros. I would've given it a C if it were a wholly new Smash Bros game rather than the Street Fighter II Turbo to Smash 4's original SF2.

I can't say that I'm convinced to buy anything else in that presentation.

ilfait

Fire Emblem looks amazing. Serious presentation, new mechanics, and no crossover-bs. Sucks that it's 2019, but still.
I'm not into the look of it. Not terrible, but looks like decent 2D anime art sloppily wrapped around polygons, and the ink outlines on the models aren't great--Ni No Kuni 1 did it better, and Wind Waker did no-outline cell shading right. And the models clash with the very bland environments.

I think FE's visual presentation peaked on the GBA. Awakening may look better than this as well.

Last edited:

lucius

That was a solid D

How about Metriod Triolgy or Zelda TP/SS port, even Mario 3D World on the Switch would be nice.

Last edited:

Andyliini

GG BoyZ from Japan are the champions of Splatoon 2 in 2018.

Also, just in:
Splatoon 2 will receive more weapons and stages until December 2018.
Octo Expansion is also out tomorrow! Yes, surprise release for this.
Also, Octoling amiibo series out this year.

Last edited:

topramen

I dont understand why they dont save something like mother 3 localization for these lean years. Seems like it wouldn't cost much for a digital release and the good will alone would be worth it

Iced Arcade

Damn totally forgot this was on today, going to have to watch it in a few. No way it can be worst than sonys

Last edited:
Is there anything worth of value coming out this year on Switch?

I bought my Switch to play the eventual Pokemon game but those games coming out later this year look legit awful. I also have no interest in Smash, so about half of the direct was irrelevant to me. Why not just make an exclusive direct for it at a later time? The only thing I saw worth anything for this fall was the XV2 DLC. What are supposed to be the big console sellers this fall?

Top Bottom