• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

blackjaw

I don't get the hate.

So I can play a few matches in the new FIFA or a game or two of Madden 15 to see if I enjoy it. Or play 6 hrs of DA:I (plenty of time to decide if the story grabs me or if the new systems are garbage). Or I can probably beat the new shooters campaign or get far enough in a platformer that I don't feel the need to buy it if multiplayer isn't what I want.

Plus access to whatever old games they throw in he vault. What is it, like $5 for a month? Sounds like the EA hate train is in the station and loading up GAF users. It's $5...I just paid that for a coffee and fruit cup this morning.

I'm not a member but for an early look at DA:I for $5 (and 10% off) I am considering it in November.

As for digital rights and the fact that they can pull vault games at any time, we should all be use to getting the shaft on this in some form or the other. I have no expectation that I will be able to give my son my digital PSone rpg collection on PSN when I die, or my iTunes musi collection, so EA giving me 30 days notice to pull digital use of Madden 25 away doesn't really bother me.

HAHAHAHAH!!!
AHHHHHH man. I was thinking about this last night, like "what is EA going to do to screw this up?"
Sure enough 12 hours later this news breaks.

Que? They gave everyone exactly what they wanted. Free early access to the full game, which you can buy if you want it. Plus you get 10% off and full access to games in the vault.

I hate console warzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TheQuake

Banned
Anyway, what needs to be hammered down is how the six hours are measured. Is it six hours from first start? Six hours of gametime (including menus/pause screen/etc)? .

You're kidding right?

I do understand that some people can be bummed out by this. The wording could be parsed in a way that you have five days of unlimited access to the "demo" game. Ridiculously optimistic for sure, but people tend to see what they want to see.

Plainly says right here
o77f6yE.png

EvB

So this isn't clear to me

Is it free to play any EA game for 6 hours before the game is released?

Or do I have to buy the game to play it for 6 hours?

Or if I've bought the game do I have unlimited access?

Allowing members to play six hours of an as of yet unreleased title five days early, while also carrying final progress over to the game when it launches is a bad thing now? Really? Because most demos I have seen do not carry progress over to the final game, nor do they go on for six hours. There is literally no reason to be upset about this.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Now you see, this was the kind if stuff I was skeptical of when this thing was announced. Admittedly good PR work by EA, managing to completely avoid any fallout by staggering information.

But I guess people are fine with wasting money for the convenience of not having to get up to switch a disc...

Yep. Gamers, you wanted a 'digital future'? This is it.

I wasn't sure what EA Access provided, but I was going to sign up for it if it was early access to Madden '15 if you buy Madden 15 and EA Access... Which I was happy to do. But, it sounds like it's just 5 days of early access for just a total of 6 hours which, for Madden, is not worth it and I can just wait until Tuesday before playing it. Bummed too, I'm itching for football and M15 actually looks pretty good.

It is in BETA...And how is it half baked? They put up BF4(I was surprise that)FIFA, Peggle 2 and MADDEN 25...Again, whats the beef?

I believe it's out of beta now (could be wrong).

The beef most people have is that they convinced themselves that what EA is releasing for Madden is the equivalent of having a demo in year's past, which it isn't, but, nevertheless... when it comes to threads about EA crazy hats go on everybody.

TheQuake

Banned
LOL at all the people that think paying for what used to be a free demo is great or "alright".

The Madden access they had before used to have allowed the game to be played for 5 days straight before release. Now they throw this out to you and its still "great". Amazing.

EA Access:

Pay 5$ or 30$ for a 6 Hour Trial that used to be free as a demo

Get Access to Year old sports games that no one will give a rats ass about when the new one is out anyway. And if you really believe they will release their other big IP on EA Access within 6month timeframes then prepare to be disappointed.

5$ off a digital game you cant resell. You can get 5$ off the physical disc literally ANYWHERE just look. Hell Gamestop gives 5$ off for preordering.

But I guess people are fine with wasting money for the convenience of not having to get up to switch a disc...

You know EA Access isn't just sports games right? I didn't own BF4 of Peggle 2 before this and I can play unlimited amount of. Both great games and between those two, the $30 was well spent for the year. It may not be a good deal in some gamers' eyes but there are many who like the program. The program isn't even a month old, let it fly a little.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure if it's all EA games (I assume so) and no, you don't need to buy the game, just have an active EA Access sub.

Percy

Banned
Wow.

I thought this sounded dodgy as hell from the get go, but for every layer of it that gets pulled back, the more eye watering the stench of the turd becomes.

I pray to God this shit doesn't take off.

jond76

Banned
What I see here:

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS BUT I'M GOING TO SHIT ALL OVER IT BECAUSE EA! LOL LOL LOL!"

6 hours of early access to a full game 6 days prior, and it's not contingent on buying the game. It's not a bad thing.

ttech10

have you really ever played a demo for longer than 6 hours?

I don't know the exact time, but certainly spent a couple hours on a demo and I'm sure a handful of these are near 6 hours. FIFA, NHL and NCAA Football. Have a couple hours on FIFA Street. Skate and inFamous. That Full Auto 2 demo. Heavy Rain. Planet Minigolf. Arkham City. Uncharted 1 and Motorstorm 1. And of course the BFBC2 Online demo.

Remember also that not every Early Access game will get 6 hours. It varies, so the sports games will likely get a good amount and something like Dragon Age will likely get near the minimum 2 hour limit.

Allowing members to play six hours of an as of yet unreleased title five days early, while also carrying final progress over to the game when it launches is a bad thing now? Really? Because most demos I have seen do not carry progress over to the final game, nor do they go on for six hours. There is literally no reason to be upset about this.

unless, you know, you had used EA's previous season pass where you didn't have the hourly time limit. but i feel like most people in here didn't even know that existed

Yep. Im just as confused now as I was 10 minutes ago.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

I thought this sounded dodgy as hell from the get go, but for every layer of it that gets pulled back, the more eye watering the stench of the turd becomes.

I pray to God this shit doesn't take off.
thatsit-imoutgameoverman_8e846debb8a2f24b1a8f6e573271cffa.gif

PhatSaqs

Banned
I wasn't sure what EA Access provided, but I was going to sign up for it if it was early access to Madden '15 if you buy Madden 15 and EA Access... Which I was happy to do. .
I think this is where they are headed but since MS doesnt have their digital pre-order implementation up yet it's only half done. It only makes sense that digital pre-orders get unlimited early access while everyone else gets the timed thing.

TheQuake

Banned
Lol at some people wondering if there is a timer on the game if you purchased it. For fucks sake no. Its not like you are buying the game from an EA store. The games are coming from the Xbox Store. You purchase it, you play it unlimited.... like every other games sold digitally.

What I see here:

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS BUT I'M GOING TO SHIT ALL OVER IT BECAUSE EA! LOL LOL LOL!"

6 hours of early access to a full game 6 days prior, and it's not contingent on buying the game. It's not a bad thing.
/thread

Seriously, this thread shows just how little people know about EA Access.

Guevara

It is in BETA...And how is it half baked? They put up BF4(I was surprise that)FIFA, Peggle 2 and MADDEN 25...Again, whats the beef?

Ultimately the beef is with poor communications about what is included, and also the unclear tiered limits

EA's biggest game of the year comes out in a week and we're just finding out the terms.

Skele7on

Banned
It also does not say "unlimited play time during early access period"

Did i specifically say that? NO I was asking if after the 6 hours I could buy the game within the 5 days "early access" and carry on straight away. I DID NOT SAY UNLIMITED ACCESS DID I?

/rant

unless, you know, you had used EA's previous season pass where you didn't have the hourly time limit. but i feel like most people in here didn't even know that existed

See this guy knows what's up!

You know EA Access isn't just sports games right? I didn't own BF4 of Peggle 2 before this and I can play unlimited amount of. Both great games and between those two, the $30 was well spent for the year. It may not be a good deal in some gamers' eyes but there are many who like the program. The program isn't even a month old, let it fly a little.

That fine and all, enjoy while you can!

I think this is where they are headed but since MS doesnt have their digital pre-order implementation up yet it's only half done. It only makes sense that digital pre-orders get unlimited early access while everyone else gets the timed thing.

If this is what it is, then I will get EA Access and Madden 15. But.. the confusing language and lack of any clear messaging for this is leading me to believe it isn't. Probably just going to wait and see. I just wish that it were available for both consoles, because then you wouldn't have people who have an ax to grind against Microsoft throwing an equally misinformed prediction into the ring.

ekim

6 hours of real ingame time is quite a lot IMHO. I expected much less. I mean you can possibly play the SP campaign of BF:Hardline in this time. Don't know why people are raging.

Leyasu

Banned

Its a great deal... I have already traded my bf4 copy, downloaded 2 games, and will buy a few and easily recuperate the 23euros I paid.

angrygnat

The Madden franchise was never a must buy for me but I was known to buy the previous years installment used for like 15 bucks. I don't even do that anymore because of how pathetically incremental the improvements were getting. Plus I'm still butt hurt over the busted Madden 07 Wii. I used to buy it for my son but this year it's completely absent from his birthday present requests. The fact that getting 6 hour early access to the demo even being a draw is shocking to me.

p3tran

Banned
I don't get the hate.

So I can play a few matches in the new FIFA or a game or two of Madden 15 to see if I enjoy it. Or play 6 hrs of DA:I (plenty of time to decide if the story grabs me or if the new systems are garbage). Or I can probably beat the new shooters campaign or get far enough in a platformer that I don't feel the need to buy it if multiplayer isn't what I want.

Plus access to whatever old games they throw in he vault. What is it, like $5 for a month? Sounds like the EA hate train is in the station and loading up GAF users. It's $5...I just paid that for a coffee and fruit cup this morning.

I'm not a member but for an early look at DA:I for $5 (and 10% off) I am considering it in November.

As for digital rights and the fact that they can pull vault games at any time, we should all be use to getting the shaft on this in some form or the other. I have no expectation that I will be able to give my son my digital PSone rpg collection on PSN when I die, or my iTunes musi collection, so EA giving me 30 days notice to pull digital use of Madden 25 away doesn't really bother me.

even the 5$/month seems very expensive compared to 30$/year.
lets not forget its ea we are talking about here. they do put out a lot of stuff usually.
i think if they put also good stuff in the vault they have hit the jackpot here.

THIS! People dont even understand that it was better and theyre taking away from you with this deal, not adding to it. In the eyes of people who knew season pass existed this is a step back.

BTW FMT to my surprise madden look passable this year...something I havent said in a loooong while haha

ttech10

Right now they only plan on having Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. They say more to come, but without them saying I wouldn't expect any certain title (since "more to come" could technically just mean next year's sports games).

It's also not 6 hours across all games. It's a minimum of two hours. It's game-by-game amount of max time.

You don't have to buy it and it doesn't matter if you bought it, you still have to wait until release day to play an unlimited time.

ekim

You can play the game 6 days before release for 6 hours ingame time within these 6 days without buying the game. Of you decide to buy it, your progress carries over.

I believe it's out of beta now (could be wrong).

The beef most people have is that they convinced themselves that what EA is releasing for Madden is the equivalent of having a demo in year's past, which it isn't, but, nevertheless... when it comes to threads about EA crazy hats go on everybody.

Again, how many pubs release demos now? I'm not trying to sound like a EA fanboy or shill. But doesn't SONY do the "time trial" option as well still? Haven't check in a long time. I find the EA access program worth it to me. Because they do some games I want to play but I don't want to drop money on them right away, and when I do, I moved on. I usually barrow my EA games, except the ones I bought during the Steam sales. So 30$ a year is not going to break me. If I don't find it worth it in a year, and I'll opt out and buy the games I enjoy. Like Peggle 2 for instance.

thenameDS

That's more than enough, 6 hours of a FULL game is decent. Seriously don't know what people expected, but yea hating on EA is cool.

I'm happy that I paid for a year of this service got 3 games that I didn't already own in BF4, Madden 25 and Peggle 2.

PSYGN

I bet many of the people raging don't even have access to this program, they just want to shit on things they can't have because daddy Sony says no. This really isn't a big issue. I don't play sports games and I own a PS4 so I don't care either way, but I also don't like companies making decisions on my behalf and trying to play it off as if it were for my best interest -- but that's for another topic.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Did it come with the vault and discount on digital purchases? If not the two services are not really comparable.

malfcn

It should have been clarified earlier. But now that it is out there, I don't see the outage. It's a perk for a bigger package, the vault. If you want to pay $30 or $5 for a demo that is your choice. But it is not the only thing you get.

And a demo will probably be out after the exclusive Access time.

jem0208

6 hours of the full game is pretty damn excellent imo.

Not seeing the outrage, it's far far more than you'd get with a standard demo. It's not like you're only paying for access for the demo either. You'd probably save money by purchasing access for the month and buying the game with the 10% discount.

Does this come free with access? I don't need to buy the game first right? If not this is bloody great.

THIS! People dont even understand that it was better and theyre taking away from you with this deal, not adding to it. In the eyes of people who knew season pass existed this is a step back.

BTW FMT to my surprise madden look passable this year...something I havent said in a loooong while haha

How many games in the Vault did it have to play right of the bat? Or was it just pay for the early access thing? I seriously don't remember anything resembling what EA Access offers at their asking price. If it was only for new sports games that's probably why It didn't catch my interest to be honest.

Top Bottom