• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and Respawn making more Titanfall games in new publishing agreement

jaypah

The meltdowns lol.

I don't even see the most staunch Xbox supporters here thinking the next game won't be multi. Only way I could see a meltdown is if, for whatever reason, part 2 was PS4 exclusive. Anything less than that would be a "duh?" moment.

They just said that they sold 925,000 units for the quarter. The # is from NPD only.

EA only mentioned NPD figures, 925K which I assume is for XB1 + PC.

We already had the following NPD figures leaked:

865K no bundles for Xbox One

1.1 million Xbox One with bundles

7 out of every 10 Xbox One consoles sold in March were Titanfall bundles

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I would actually love a free roaming or big world campaign mode, with more traditional campaign structure and adventure. The mobility and fun of the game would definitely lend themselves to it.

Bsigg12

Boy for a developer so pissed that EA went and got MS exclusivity on the first they sure were quick to continue on with EA.

Zampella wasn't pissed, just upset. Nothing he could do. Microsoft played a huge roll in bringing Titanfall to fruition so I doubt he was really mad at them for wanting it on their platforms only.

sense

EA only mentioned NPD figures, 925K which I assume is for XB1 + PC.

We already had the following NPD figures leaked:

865K no bundles for Xbox One

1.1 million with bundles

7 out of every 10 Xbox One consoles sold in March were Titanfall

so EA is not counting bundle sales?

Phades

I don't even see the most staunch Xbox supporters here thinking the next game won't be multi. Only way I could see a meltdown is if, for whatever reason, part 2 was PS4 exclusive. Anything less than that would be a "duh?" moment.

That would be an amusing development cycle for them to go down, but even more so if done one step further. For example, rotating the release of the titles across different platforms, but being different games. This following a similar "logic" to exclusive DLC from various storefronts or platforms as seen with various titles in the past making each game release just different enough from each other in order to call them new titles allowing for "exclusive" deals etc.

Tripon

Titanfall sold 925k in March NPD and 360 version doing well.

That's a hell of a question dodge there... Why not just admit how much it totally sold, hmm?

April NPD numbers aren't offically out yet.

It is weird how EA won't release their own internal numbers.

Acosta

hope the next one comes to PS4

if not = :(

It will, 100% sure. MS can't sustain a external series with zero equity on it, they did it for the first one because they really needed it, but they can't hemorrhage money like that for a continuous development.

The fact that EA didn't have a prepared statement for total Titanfall sales is telling that it's below initial expectations.

That NPD figure was only given when EA was asked about it.

NHale

Is this a new deal or just EA exercising the "right for first refusal for the sequel" from the original publishing agreement?

jaypah

That would be an amusing development cycle for them to go down, but even more so if done one step further. For example, rotating the release of the titles across different platforms, but being different games. This following a similar "logic" to exclusive DLC from various storefronts or platforms as seen with various titles in the past making each game release just different enough from each other in order to call them new titles allowing for "exclusive" deals etc.

That would just be crazy. It would be fun to see though!

Eusis

I would actually love a free roaming or big world campaign mode, with more traditional campaign structure and adventure. The mobility and fun of the game would definitely lend themselves to it.
Good thing it sounded like more of a budget call than a creative call for going only MP, they do have a world that could be interesting enough for an SP game, especially if they do something different rather than CoD-style.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Hmm does the new publishing agreement only pertain to the Titanfall property or new game developments as well from Respawn?

AHA-Lambda

The fact that EA didn't have a prepared statement for total Titanfall sales is telling that it's below initial expectations.

That NPD figure was only given when EA was asked about it.

Yeah, it's really telling. I think we're looking at 2-3m I guess.

The fact that they're continuing the partnership with Respawn is good though but I'd highly doubt TF2 to be MS exclusive again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good thing it sounded like more of a budget call than a creative call for going only MP, they do have a world that could be interesting enough for an SP game, especially if they do something different rather than CoD-style.

They did have a singleplayer level made even, it's just they didn't think they could feasibly make a campaign in time.

Hmm does the new publishing agreement only pertain to the Titanfall property or new game developments as well from Respawn?

As an 80 person studio I don't think they could feasibly handle more than one game.

Nydius

You'd think they'd give some concrete numbers on the PC version since, well, every single copy - retail or digital - had to be activated through Origin. They should have very explicit numbers on how many PC versions were sold through Origin or otherwise activated for use.

I see no reason not to disclose those numbers unless the PC sales were just abysmal, of course.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's an unnumber sequel coming out pretty early next year.

At that point, EA's got at least 2 big FPS franchises to work with each 6 months. Battlefield in October, Titanfall in March/April.

farisr

I'm anticipating at least one "as expected, whatever, the franchise wasn't that important to xbone anyways, no big loss" from someone who was previously using it as a main point to argue why xbone is better than the ps4 which detective-gaf will find.

They said 12-15% is coming from digital sales. It was unclear if it includes Origin. They said it was higher specifically with Titanfall on Origin.
Edit: This was an all-encompassing statement....not just for Titanfall.

Boy for a developer so pissed that EA went and got MS exclusivity on the first they sure were quick to continue on with EA.

Probably support and/or contract things.

Also, I think the Last Hours of Titanfall paints MS involvement in a more positive light.

Still, glad that everyone seems to agree that is going multi.

jaypah

I'm anticipating at least one "as expected, whatever, the franchise wasn't that important to xbone anyways, no big loss" from someone who was previously using it as a main point to argue why xbone is better than the ps4 which detective-gaf will find.

Ok, yeah I wouldn't bet against that. And honestly it only takes one meltdown to provide pages of dog-piling meme .gifs so I'll give you that.

Same here. I'd be surprised if we don't see it. My guess it'll be an online-only (because of AI and cloud and reasons) full scale campaign with co-op.

And if so it'll sell gangbusters.

StuBurns

Banned
You really can't fault MS for locking the first game down, they were haemorrhaging mind share to Sony, a lot of people seemed to think they could just wait a year and get it on PS4.

It seemed like it was going to be their biggest exclusive until Halo 5, they were right to act aggressively.

I doubt that if there is a campaing.
I'd rather it was offline too - just going with what my gut is telling me. And that is that part of the core DNA of Titanfall (for various reasons) is its online-only nature.

My gut is a known liar and exaggerator though, fair warning.

MikahR

Banned
The meltdowns lol.

Um, isn't it sort of obvious that there's a strong possibility the next game will be on both XO and PS4? Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't really been paying attention.

I guess the better question is why would anyone have a meltdown? It's not like they wouldn't get to play the game at all. Multiplatform just means more people get to play it.

MikahR

Banned
Grimløck;110872081 said:
would MS be tempted to moneyhat the sequel? i know it sold well, but did it meet/exceed expectations?

I'm sure they'd be tempted. But I doubt Respawn and EA would go for it and lose out on the Playstation crowd the next time around.

Hopefully it comes to Playstation next. I got a lot of friends who want to play it who don't have an Xbox or powerful enough PC to play it.

I played it on PC and it is wonderful! But I would prefer playing on my PS4. : )

AkIRA_22

This was a coup for MS. They got a really good game that released at a very important time for them and delivered a temporary boost in console sales. Won some mind share that will hopefully carry through to E3 and the quietest period of the year.

However with EA seeing how well it did on the Xbone, they must be wondering how much better it would have done if it was cross platform, shit even a WiiU version (LOL). Imagine doubling those sales? That is the kind of money EA wants. With Destiny around the corner I'd say EA will be wanting a competitive product. I expect the next Titanfall to be cross platform and have more persistent online similar to Destiny.

Tamanon

Banned
Grimløck;110872081 said:
would MS be tempted to moneyhat the sequel? i know it sold well, but did it meet/exceed expectations?

Considering it didn't really drive console sales that much even when included free, I doubt they could afford to pay for another game in the series.

KissVibes

Banned

The Final Hours of Titanfall pretty much confirmed that was all saving face with gamers. MS made Titanfall possible.

Yeah, I'm hoping EA "screws" them over again.

I bet EA told Respawn about the XB1 exclusivity before signing the deal.

They had to know. Microsoft provided the funding to make Titanfall possible. Shit, it even sounded like Titanfall was developed in under a year after spending so much time unsure what the fuck to do with the game.

Top Bottom