• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancels free-to-play Command & Conquer due to quality, closes development studio

Pooya

I'm so shocked by this development... The game honestly didn't look like a Generals sequel.

I don't think there will be another game made really, unlike what it says...

Kinyou

What the hell? When you develop a game this far you might as well just put it out there.

You could already register for the beta for crying out loud.

DieH@rd

Banned
If the game was shit, then it should be canceled. Shame for developers, but they were hired to do the job. Jobs end.

I'm an old gamer, big fan of C&C, but for me C&C is 1995 and 1997 C&C and Red Alert: Single player, polished, kind of slow pace, good music, live action cutscenes, charismatic sides.

I couldn't associate the new game (f2p, multiplayer, fast micro), to the C&C name. Glad they cancelled it. Sorry for the studio.

You've perfectly summed up what made the originals great!

turnbuckle

Sorry to hear. I wonder if the quality suffered due to its F2P nature? I'm not big on F2P games generally but many people feel the other way. Either way it's unfortunate for the studio closing, but if the quality suffered because they were expected to shoehorn C&C gameplay through a F2P model by the EA....that's horrible.

If the game was just a mess and they were incompetent...it'd seem like closing an entire studio might be going overboard unless everyone there were bad at their jobs. Of course, it's easier to just nuke the team and re-hire individuals as seen fit but it all still sucks.

Nokterian

I'm an old gamer, big fan of C&C, but for me C&C is 1995 and 1997 C&C and Red Alert: Single player, polished, kind of slow pace, good music, live action cutscenes, charismatic sides.

I couldn't associate the new game (f2p, multiplayer, fast micro), to the C&C name. Glad they cancelled it. Sorry for the studio.

Have to agree with this didn't like it the moment it was announced.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Did they film anything for the single player campaign? Would be sad to lose that stuff even if it was terrible.

Pooya

Did they film anything for the single player campaign? Would be sad to lose that stuff even if it was terrible.

It didn't have a campaign at all... until very recently when they got "feedback", they announced to have some kind of campaign.

I don't think they made anything for that...
The whole project was doomed to failure the moment they canned Generals 2 in favor of a online only f2p game, nobody in community wanted that and here we are...

Enlil

wow how naive of you guys. it's obvious that don't want to bring this out as free to play. EA should have kept their mouth shut and just make the game, put a 60 euro/dollar price tag on....and yeah I would buy it.

I was looking forward to this game, Generals; only game i played for years. Fucking mad about this.

Green Yoshi

I hope some frustrated guy will leak the game. I am curious if it is really that bad or if EA has just lost its confident in the Free-to-play business model.

So this image finally came true huh?

MoarREAPer.jpg

Holy shit Maxis ... Westwood ... Pandemic ... NOoooooooooo

My memories ... :(

It didn't have a campaign at all... until very recently when they got "feedback", they announced to have some kind of campaign.

I don't think they made anything for that...
The whole project was doomed to failure the moment they canned Generals 2 in favor of a online only f2p game, nobody in community wanted that and here we are...

Pretty much. Sad day all around. Sad for the C&C brand, and sad for Victory Games. I hope the team there get rehired soon. Unemployment is a shitty place to be.

Savitar

After Red Alert 4 it was clear they had no clue what people wanted. To finish the storyline with THAT game was horrendous.

And then they decided hey....F2P which did not inspire people.

All they had to do was keep true to what made the originals a success and make it new, didn't have to do anything bold and they still botched it royally.

Victory Games was a poor name for this studio.

That said, very sad news. Always loved the C&C series, however, if this means we get a better game down the road, probably for the best.

Well that's a shame. I've always loved the C&C series and even though the F2P side of this was off putting, I was at the very least curious to see another C&C game and one in Frostbite no less.

Its just so damn disappointing to see how EA has all of these once beloved IPs and franchises and they have no fucking clue what to do with any of them.

Alexastor

Monetization and a missing campaign is only half the truth. Those are two things that quite easily could be fixed.

But fixing a game that is running in an engine that totally isn't made for RTS games? No way.

I'm sorry for the dev team and the fans, though.

Protome

Who else?

Pandemic.

I mean, Mercs 2 was basically the sign of their downfall and its mediocrity and unfinishedness had very little to do with EA as far as we know. It was troubled in development before EA even bought them over and had already been delayed. EA didn't rush it out and in fact delayed it twice before it eventually came out in its poor unfinished state. There was definitely poor management going on but it was going on before EA picked them up. Hell, if EA hadn't bought them they would have went down in flames far earlier.

The rest of the studios in that picture though? Totally EA's fault.

shinobi's thread was closed, but I'll write again:

I tested the alpha a month ago in a focus group.

game was horrendous.

After the testing we were supposed to write down what we thought of the game (comments basically).

I wrote something like:

this is not command and conquer, the game does not live to the spirit of what CnC is. Shame on EA for closing down westwood studios.

I'm curious, what was wrong with it?

Nome

I hope some frustrated guy will leak the game. I am curious if it is really that bad or if EA has just lost its confident in the Free-to-play business model.

There's a closed alpha/beta (whatever it is). I certainly don't think it was unsalvageable. But if EA closed the studio, I'm sure there's a lot more than what's being said in the presser.

I was really looking forward to this game! The Free2Play model was one part I did not like at all since it was announced but a new Generals *sniff*

Closing the studio that fast, wow. There was a news just last friday :/

legacyzero

Banned
I understand canceling the game, but why in the fuck would you close the studio? They simply couldn't tackle another project??

Acosta

And with that, EA finally kills their Westwood legacy (yeah, it was dead long ago).

With some luck we will see some Command & Conquer in form of a tower defense for iOS.

I wonder if there is a case of any company in any field that has trashed so much talent and legacy as EA.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So is it finally time for JVC to do a kickstarter for a Might & Magic successor?

Fingers crossed.

I understand canceling the game, but why in the fuck would you close the studio? They simply couldn't tackle another project??

Not if they didn't have one immediately available that fit team size, team experience, etc.

It says they are shuffling people around to the different studios if possible, so that's something.

You can't just have a whole team sitting around getting paid to do nothing waiting for the next project to start up, that's bad business.

Cipherr

"We closed a studio and we are blaming the fans".

I won't miss the idea of a FTP C&C but why close the studio?, you could just told them to make a full game with the same assets.

Reading comprehension...... How the hell did you get that quote from what they said? They CLEARLY blamed themselves for it.

gamma

How stupid are they really? They just had to make what they originally said, Generals 2. That's what people wanted. Now they act surprised when people don't like whatever F2P shit they made.

KissVibes

Banned
Game was awful. EA should be commended for canceling it and not trying to release that shit show. I don't have the love of all the goofy and cheesy elements and C&C but I know it was a really bad RTS.

Try again, with a new team. Try and scoop up some people who know RTS games.

"We closed a studio and we are blaming the fans".

I won't miss the idea of a FTP C&C but why close the studio?, you could just told them to make a full game with the same assets.

THEY LISTENED TO THE FANS

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play,"

The game sucked. F2P or not. It just wasn't fun at all.

Glad EA bailed on it.

EA should seriously let the C&C series rest in piece. It had a good run and some of my favorite memories come from the Red Alert and Tiberium series but they have ever so slowly destroyed a RTS franchise which I grew up with.

EA needs to get their shit together or at least give the IP to Take Two. At least I know they'd really make the game to the best of its quality.

Wow, the alpha was only a month or two ago, and while it was pretty terrible and barely worked (honestly, calling it a pre-alpha would be generous), it was still far enough along to make the decision to shitcan it strange.

SparkTR

Wow, the alpha was only a month or two ago, and while it was pretty terrible and barely worked (honestly, calling it a pre-alpha would be generous), it was still far enough along to make the decision to shitcan it strange.

It looks like they salvaged what was worth salvaging, the assets. From what I've heard the gameplay felt more like a reskinned Starcraft than a C&C game, having no campaign was insane. Hopefully they rebuild it to something better.

Top Bottom