• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancels free-to-play Command & Conquer due to quality, closes development studio

georly

saw that coming

Now that it's official, I did play the alpha in a focus group a month ago.

Game was horrendous.

What does it take to be in a focus group? 100% luck/random, or are you constantly called in to give opinions on stuff?

Game was awful. EA should be commended for canceling it and not trying to release that shit show. I don't have the love of all the goofy and cheesy elements and C&C but I know it was a really bad RTS.

Try again, with a new team. Try and scoop up some people who know RTS games.

THEY LISTENED TO THE FANS

The game sucked. F2P or not. It just wasn't fun at all.

Glad EA bailed on it.

So much this.

They had a good thing going with CnC3 and Kane's Wrath and the proceeded to destroy that goodwill with CnC4.

This F2P Generals nonsense was the final straw, I'm glad to see it put to rest where it belongs, although it sucked that Victory Games had to be the sacrificial pawns in the process.

Cuyejo

Fuck EA, only you manage to ruin one of the greatest RTS series ever...
Make a Red Alert 2 and Yuri with proper HD support and online, then I'll forgive you.

SparkTR

I understand canceling the game, but why in the fuck would you close the studio? They simply couldn't tackle another project??

Probably because the studio was under-performing and not meeting deadlines, them making a game fans universally hated was probably just icing.

Hexa

That's sad.

So...when's Red Alert 4 coming out?

After the cluster fuck that was C&C4, and the failure that was this. the only thing that could honestly get my hyped in the C&C universe is Red Alert. Though knowing EA they'll probably find the one studio that'll fuck it up.

Pachinko

All EA needed to do was make Generals Zero:Hour with HD graphics and a couple new units. Nothing more. It really shouldn't have been a hard thing to accomplish but then they decided to make it a free to play game and I just didn't give 2 shits what it played like at that point.

Free 2 Play games may as well be video lottery machines.

stryke

shinobi's thread was closed, but I'll write again:

I tested the alpha a month ago in a focus group.

game was horrendous.

After the testing we were supposed to write down what we thought of the game (comments basically).

I wrote something like:

this is not command and conquer, the game does not live to the spirit of what CnC is. Shame on EA for closing down westwood studios.

So it's your fault? :p

If EA released a crappy game people would blame EA for it. Now that they've chosen to shelve a crappy game people are still hating EA for it.

And I don't feel bad for the devs because they got paid for their time and lets face it, we don't know the details but the devs certainly had a hand in making the game bad.

Good, can we please now have a real Generals 2 with none of this f2p bullshit and a proper singleplayer mode?

AK47S FOR EVERYONE

RickD

I found after playing Company of heroes, it was very difficult to go back to playing CnC. I don't like Games where 20 men with machine guns can take out a tank like its made of cardboard.

I'd like to see Command and Conquer take more from Company of Heroes in this respect, ie having to have Anti-Tank weapons or air strikes take out Tanks.
AS it is, it seems the only difference in units, is speed and how big the life bar is.

I'd love a game like Company of Heroes but in the CnC universe.

Bedlam

I feel sorry for the devs but this project had "failure" written all over it ever since they decided to turn it into a F2P game. Even EA's handling of the studio, rebranding it as a Bioware studio, then re-rebranding it again, was poor.

Bedlam

I found after playing Company of heroes, it was very difficult to go back to playing CnC. I don't like Games where 20 men with machine guns can take out a tank like its made of cardboard.

I'd like to see Command and Conquer take more from Company of Heroes in this respect, ie having to have Anti-Tank weapons or air strikes take out Tanks.
AS it is, it seems the only difference in units, is speed and how big the life bar is.

I'd love a game like Company of Heroes but in the CnC universe.
Hell no! C&C needs to do the opposite and go back to the cheesiness and simplicity of the very first game (but not go too overboard with it as the latest RA games did... I don't want rocket dolphins or whatever).

And there was a simple but effective stone,paper,scissors-concept at work in the C&C games (well, in the early ones). Machine guns didn't do shit against tanks, you had to use grenades or rockets. Rockets, however, were weak against Infantry etc. Not all of it made a lot of sense but it was fun to play and simple to understand.

I really do hate that a game in my beloved CnC series get cancelled, but I havent played a good F2P game outside of Path of Exile and Planetside 2. Their is no sense of ownership in the game. It is like your actions dont amount to anything. Didnt really mean to dwell on F2P, instead, I wanted to drop this by...

I want a new Halo Wars!!

Majukun

if the game was gonna suck that much that they had to cancel it,well, i think it is for the better..it's the shame that the team was disamntled though..

Yeah, I can kinda see why. Playing the alpha build it was just... not fun.
It had the generals, but didn't have the playful/humorous style that Generals and Zero Hour had. It felt like just another RTS.

I hope this doesn't mean Generals is completely dead, because I loved that game.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
shinobi's thread was closed, but I'll write again:

I tested the alpha a month ago in a focus group.

game was horrendous.

After the testing we were supposed to write down what we thought of the game (comments basically).

I wrote something like:

this is not command and conquer, the game does not live to the spirit of what CnC is. Shame on EA for closing down westwood studios.

I'm sure you didn't walk into that focus test with an axe to grind at all.

IISANDERII

reading some tweets by employees it seems that specific blog post was a surprise to them too
I'm surprised this thread isn't about the fact that EA made a blog post in the name of the C&C devs.
Something smells very fishy. Friend of mine discovered the game less than 2 weeks ago and had already put 50+hrs into it and loved it. We just had a half hour skype call with him talking about the game and nothing else. He is shattered.

Found this on the EA Forums:

This was posted by EA_Baelor on the closed alpha forums.... I am ashamed I was fooled by the false press release.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

Today (30/10/13), 08:40 AM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that it has been a pleasure working on this game and I hope you all have enjoyed the closed alpha!

This isn't official or anything, but you probably saw that our whole team got the ax. I hope you understand that we at VG all were dedicated to making a game for all of you to play, and that the press release line was total b.s. It was NOT any feedback from the alpha that shut this project down but just petty corporate politics and shenanigans.

We were all shocked and confused to find out that our studio is closed (and that we are all out of jobs!), but I am happy to see that the game is still up and running RIGHT NOW and that a lot of people are still having fun with it. Please enjoy the live game until they figure out how to turn off the servers (it might be a while)!

Cheers,

B

you are alone

No he wasn't go back to your shoot bangs and racers champ.

Westwood
Victory
Ensamble

As someone who has pumped around 4-5000 hours into SC2.

This pains me, I mean I hear it was shit, but I'm so desperate for a new AAA RTS.

It's fucking killing me on the inside.

:(

not-like-this-gif.gif

tborsje

No he wasn't go back to your shoot bangs and racers champ.

Westwood
Victory
Ensamble

As someone who has pumped around 4-5000 hours into SC2.

This pains me, I mean I hear it was shit, but I'm so desperate for a new AAA RTS.
Not wanting shitty F2P fucked versions of one of PC gaming's favourite franchises = loving 'shoot bangs and racers'?

This game looked terrible. It sucks for the studio of course, hopefully they can get work on a better, more respectful project soon.

Jawmuncher

Better to cancel than to push out more crap that damages the brand name.
Personally EA should take it easy and just release HD versions of the original West Wood games. Gives them something easy to do as they plan the future of the series.
A lot of people would go nuts for Red Alert 2 HD.

I understand canceling the game, but why in the fuck would you close the studio? They simply couldn't tackle another project??

To be blunt, it does appear to refer to a certain other Bioware game... :\

Which makes me think this wasn't intended to really 'do' anything. More importantly, it being remade into an F2P when EA already has Alliances on that end with nothing to suggest Generals as being either a fit for the model or that EA needed another game in the same niche.

oh well, maybe now they can actually make a genuine attempt.

From what people on other forums have said the payment method was horrendous. It was sort of weird thing where you would rent your units meaning that upgrades and such would carry through. But if you didn't pay you'd lose access to what you had bought and have to use the vanilla upgrade system.

Run-M-Run

Christ. You know what, why should I even be surprised.

Closing studio, firing people and canning the game, pretty much out of the blue, is seemingly becoming a standard of EA because "marketing costs" "bad feedback".

I was hoping the canned FPS, Tiberium, was just an oddity, but nope! One has to wonder how is it, that this franchise, which has incredible potential, gets utterly fucked by the development studios and exec's. I cannot disagree with canning a poor product, but I have to question how does the situation come about and why is it this franchise that has to suffer. You have a fanbase willing to shell out money for shit products (cc4), yet now you don't even try to push it out of the doors? Huh? How about you just make a good goddamn game and stop this nonsense.

It ain't right.

Top Bottom