EA kills its Online Pass program

Oct 15, 2011
At first, this news is great but it also alludes to either always online/no used games or online pass feature being built in to the consoles online structure.

Mar 23, 2010
Woodland Hills
Mar 23, 2012
505 Games
Electronic Arts
NAMCO BANDAI
Sony Computer Entertainment
Tecmo Koei
THQ
Ubisoft
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Hopefully Sony takes action and removes it. I purchase most of my games new anyways (with the exception of the only 2 games i ever bought used being Demon's Souls and Pokemon Stadium 1) but I've seen some ridiculous sales on used titles and it holds me back on picking up certain games because no online pass is a $10 difference.

Mar 23, 2012
Ah, ok. That doesn't seem too bad compared to withholding access to multiplayer of other online passes at least.
Activision is the surprisingly lesser evil when it comes to online passes, especially given the popularity of the Call of Duty brand and how much its shared and distributed in Used Game sales on local classifieds.

I guess they don't mind and prefer having free access for brand strength or something.

Aug 5, 2011
UK
Cautiously positive about this but waiting to hear more about PS4/Nextbox and DRM/access restriction options for publishers like EA before I take this as unconditional surrender.

Still not buying anymore of their games on PC though until Origin improves further (or goes the same way)

Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, this isn't good news. It's not like they're going back to the way things were. I'm guessing they're implementing some new type of DRM/anti-used game system.

Mar 22, 2007
Technically, yes, but people tend to infer "feature" as something of substance, hence the ridicule. There are variety of alternatives: aspect, component, element...
His usage fits the literal dictionary definition just fine (a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic), it's just that the commonly accepted usage of "feature" is usually meant to describe something as being desirable. It's just so rare to see people describe something that is considered universally negative to be a feature.

Certainly not wrong, just hilarious.
I understand, that is fair enough. Thanks for the answers :)

Apr 22, 2007
The thing that I personally want to go away is the "You need to log in with an EA account to play online" message, where I always press cancel, no, fuck you on principle.

Online pass in itself is not even that terrible.

But if we need to kill EA online passes to kill EA accounts, so be it.