• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

100MS

Neo Member
505 Games
Electronic Arts
NAMCO BANDAI
Sony Computer Entertainment
Tecmo Koei
THQ
Ubisoft
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

ismk

At first, this news is great but it also alludes to either always online/no used games or online pass feature being built in to the consoles online structure.

Gadirok

505 Games
Electronic Arts
NAMCO BANDAI
Sony Computer Entertainment
Tecmo Koei
THQ
Ubisoft
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Hopefully Sony takes action and removes it. I purchase most of my games new anyways (with the exception of the only 2 games i ever bought used being Demon's Souls and Pokemon Stadium 1) but I've seen some ridiculous sales on used titles and it holds me back on picking up certain games because no online pass is a $10 difference.

Gadirok

Ah, ok. That doesn't seem too bad compared to withholding access to multiplayer of other online passes at least.

Activision is the surprisingly lesser evil when it comes to online passes, especially given the popularity of the Call of Duty brand and how much its shared and distributed in Used Game sales on local classifieds.

I guess they don't mind and prefer having free access for brand strength or something.

Lunar15

They won't need it when everything is always online.

laugh6fzww.gif

I kid.... hopefully.

Interfectum

EA doesn't need online passes on services like Origin and Steam.

EA cancels online passes right as new consoles come out.

Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

While I don't trust EA much, I'm glad to hear this. And if they've cancelled it because of market forces, then they might not replace it with something equally shitty.

Interfectum

What was that patented DRM tech for PS4?

EA could just put Origin on every EA console game, have a one time use serial number for every game they sell (just like a PC game) and boom, used game sales destroyed without any need for PS4 or Xbox 3 DRM tech.

EGM1966

Cautiously positive about this but waiting to hear more about PS4/Nextbox and DRM/access restriction options for publishers like EA before I take this as unconditional surrender.

Still not buying anymore of their games on PC though until Origin improves further (or goes the same way)

awm8604

Banned
Yeah, this isn't good news. It's not like they're going back to the way things were. I'm guessing they're implementing some new type of DRM/anti-used game system.

coldfoot

Banned
Nope. PS4 is already confirmed not to be online-only (and so is NextBox???).
On the other hand, apparently publishers can require online connection, or some sort cd-key system.

EA games on PS4 will probably be online only, while other publishers might not decide to go that route.

Woorloog

Banned
EA games on PS4 will probably be online only, while other publishers might not decide to go that route.

Yup.
I know i will avoid online only games no matter how interesting they might be, unless they're MMOs like Destiny (for whom online-only is perfectly natural and reasonable).

test_account

XP-39C²
Technically, yes, but people tend to infer "feature" as something of substance, hence the ridicule. There are variety of alternatives: aspect, component, element...
His usage fits the literal dictionary definition just fine (a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic), it's just that the commonly accepted usage of "feature" is usually meant to describe something as being desirable. It's just so rare to see people describe something that is considered universally negative to be a feature.

Certainly not wrong, just hilarious.
I understand, that is fair enough. Thanks for the answers :)

Rolf NB

The thing that I personally want to go away is the "You need to log in with an EA account to play online" message, where I always press cancel, no, fuck you on principle.

Online pass in itself is not even that terrible.

But if we need to kill EA online passes to kill EA accounts, so be it.

Forkball

This is only because Microsoft will do all the work for them with their anti-used games feature. Or so the legend goes...

Top Bottom