• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Takao

Banned
Whoa, whoa. The response must have been very negative and affected sales significantly for this to happen.

Hopefully others follow through, but I'm very surprised. Then again, it could mean implementation of online-only.

Or they found out it didn't deter used game sales at all, and instead hurt online communities and DLC.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
16Pol.gif

Always online is near.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They probably saw COD raking in all the money with DLC. You want to hook people first, then they'll buy extra stuff. Not the other way around.

You're next, Sony.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EA doing this from player response? that's news on it's own!

My guess is that this is only half true.

And by that, I mean that the digital sales of online passes were probably not very significant.

My guess is that online passes are being phased out because they want to start doing more microtransactions. And if you're going to a microtransactions model, then the online pass becomes a barrier.

The_Monk

GAF, I'm trying to find the most YESSSS and random Gif at the same time to celebrate this news but I can't find it!

---

This is great news, thanks for posting fellow GAFfer!

Top Bottom