• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

SolarPowered

Feb 17, 2009
Not even five minutes and you guys have convinced me that there is a storm a brewin'.

Why can't we have nice things?

Jun 6, 2004
They probably saw COD raking in all the money with DLC. You want to hook people first, then they'll buy extra stuff. Not the other way around.

You're next, Sony.
this right here. people were picking up BF3, playing SP, then balking at MP completely due to the Online Pass and EA made no money instead of some money on DLC and Season Pass sales.

Mass Effect

Apr 24, 2011
This sounds like a great thing. I just hope they don't try to find some other garbage practice to force upon us... like online-only.

Not even five minutes and you guys have convinced me that there is a storm a brewin'.

Why can't we have nice things?
Because its EA.

Dunlop

Oct 2, 2007
This is what I'm thinking. People are already cheering without knowing what horrible machination EA is going to supplant the online pass with.
Aren't you doing the same thing, but for team gloom?

It's great news at this particular moment

Baconsammy

Banned
Aug 9, 2011
Seattle Washington
Discontinue Online Pass Program, go exclusive NextBox next gen, require Always Online.
My guess is their games will require activation codes. You can sell your used games to Gamestop etc and whoever buys it will need to buy another code in addition to what he was charged for the used game. That's the only reason I can think of for why Gamestop left their meeting with Microsoft happy instead of still whining about used games. Other than simply not limiting used games completely.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
Holy shit. This is a bombshell. Does this mean previous online pass games are no longer required to have online passes?

Megatron

Feb 22, 2012

Weemanply109

Neo Member
Aug 17, 2011
UK
If the new consoles are apparently supposed to be combating second hand titles, maybe that's why they've ditched this method?