• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Nokterian

Jul 20, 2012
twitter.com
I feel a disturbance in the force. After the Online Pass. Always online incoming and microtransactions in every game with doritos and mountain dew.

MadraptorMan

Sep 8, 2005
Niigata, JAPAN
snackbar-games.com
I like the reason they give for starting the "online pass" system in the first place:

“Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services."

What the heck does that even mean? You're not fooling anyone EA.

Sep 5, 2012
Utah
Well... They won't need it anymore if the rumors of Xbox Infinity blocking used games is true... And Sony is leaving this stuff up to the Publisher so... Yeah Online Pass aren't needed anymore, and they may be replaced with something worse.

el retorno

May 30, 2011
Probably realized its not helping and actually keeping people from playing certain games and buying dlc. Has for me

DLC and Microtransactions are making more money. See all the F2P stuff.

Baconsammy

Banned
Aug 9, 2011
Seattle Washington
Nailed it.

Pretty much confirms IMO Durango and PS4 will require online authentication
and most likely online DRM.
Confirms Durango most likely. And perhaps a plan to squeeze Sony until they allow it as well by treating Microsoft more favorably. Better than going no-used-games completely. Maybe also partly why they're not interested in Nintendo at all.

Well... They won't need it anymore if the rumors of Xbox Infinity blocking used games is true... And Sony is leaving this stuff up to the Publisher so... Yeah Online Pass aren't needed anymore, and they may be replaced with something worse.
well if it goes like this, then xbox infinity and playstation 4 are the ones who are "not needed".
better to sacrifice a console generation than your rights.

Mithos

Apr 26, 2006
Sweden
Awesome, now I don't have to worry about Online-passed on my Wii U games from EA.

Oh, wait.... =(

TheGreyHulk

Jun 4, 2012
Twist, used game won't exist anymore and that's why EA is killing the Online Pass program.
that's what i'm thinking too. wasn't the rumor that publishers will have the choice to allow used games or not. maybe they just won't allow used games, so they don't need the pass anymore.

Oct 11, 2007
I never understood why that even caught on from a business standpoint. Just seemed stupid. Then again, I don't run a billion dollar business so maybe I'm the dumb one.

iceatcs

Jul 9, 2007
London
Confirms Durango most likely. And perhaps a plan to squeeze Sony until they allow it as well by treating Microsoft more favorably. Better than going no-used-games completely. Maybe also partly why they're not interested in Nintendo at all.
I think online authentication mean no used-games allow.

massoluk

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
To be replaced with micro-transaction and always-online requirement.

There has to be a catch, right? Right?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
I guess they finally realized that Activision makes a ton more money on DLC without requiring Online Passes.