• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Nokterian

I feel a disturbance in the force. After the Online Pass. Always online incoming and microtransactions in every game with doritos and mountain dew.

I like the reason they give for starting the "online pass" system in the first place:

“Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services."

What the heck does that even mean? You're not fooling anyone EA.

Well... They won't need it anymore if the rumors of Xbox Infinity blocking used games is true... And Sony is leaving this stuff up to the Publisher so... Yeah Online Pass aren't needed anymore, and they may be replaced with something worse.

Probably realized its not helping and actually keeping people from playing certain games and buying dlc. Has for me

DLC and Microtransactions are making more money. See all the F2P stuff.

stolin

Can't sell a lot of DLC to people who don't play your game online.

images

Nailed it.

Pretty much confirms IMO Durango and PS4 will require online authentication
and most likely online DRM.

Confirms Durango most likely. And perhaps a plan to squeeze Sony until they allow it as well by treating Microsoft more favorably. Better than going no-used-games completely. Maybe also partly why they're not interested in Nintendo at all.

p3tran

Banned
Well... They won't need it anymore if the rumors of Xbox Infinity blocking used games is true... And Sony is leaving this stuff up to the Publisher so... Yeah Online Pass aren't needed anymore, and they may be replaced with something worse.

well if it goes like this, then xbox infinity and playstation 4 are the ones who are "not needed".
better to sacrifice a console generation than your rights.

Twist, used game won't exist anymore and that's why EA is killing the Online Pass program.

that's what i'm thinking too. wasn't the rumor that publishers will have the choice to allow used games or not. maybe they just won't allow used games, so they don't need the pass anymore.

I never understood why that even caught on from a business standpoint. Just seemed stupid. Then again, I don't run a billion dollar business so maybe I'm the dumb one.

iceatcs

Confirms Durango most likely. And perhaps a plan to squeeze Sony until they allow it as well by treating Microsoft more favorably. Better than going no-used-games completely. Maybe also partly why they're not interested in Nintendo at all.

I think online authentication mean no used-games allow.

I think online authentication mean no used-games allow.

I don't. I think it means they'll gladly sell you a code when you try to use a used game, and then send part of that fee to the game publisher. Meanwhile Gamestop gets to stay in business, albeit charging less for used games.

Top Bottom