• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

AppleMIX

It doesn't make any god damn sense for them to embrace online only DRM.

Why would they announced the Sims 4 and say it doesn't have online only DRM then suddenly embrace online only DRM? Stop being reactionary idiots.

Parallacs

EA announces new Offline-Pass program.

All games will require a small fee (typically $7 to $9) to play offline. This montly fee will add what EA calls "enhanced single player experiences".

pantsmith

Educated guess:

People will buy more DLC if they have access to a games online out of the box. If someone bought Mass Effect 3 used, for example, maybe they don't know that they even want to buy boosters because they haven't played the online. But if its free to play the online, theyll be exposed to the environment thats supposed to drive them to want that dlc.

Mark my words!

There is no way that EA is removing this without replacing it with something even more disgusting. Expect always on DRM as the standard, coupled with microtransactions up the ass.

Quixz

We're not stupid EA, tell us what you're going to replace them with!

I boycott their games a while back.

3uf4il

neto

Wait what?? is this a trap?

Educated guess:

People will buy more DLC if they have access to a games online out of the box. If someone bought Mass Effect 3 used, for example, maybe they don't know that they even want to buy boosters because they haven't played the online. But if its free to play the online, theyll be exposed to the environment thats supposed to drive them to want that dlc.

Now this makes sense

Fonz72

Always-on confirmed! EA Xbox exclusive!

No, this is good news. Especially if they did it in response to player opinion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
See, guys? If you had voted Bank of America as worst US company, we would still have to deal with Online Passes!

PerZona

Just kill off Origin...it's not even needed at all. Especially for Battlefield 3 where players have battlelog already, I don't see the need of that stupid POS Origin program.

Mark my words!

There is no way that EA is removing this without replacing it with something even more disgusting. Expect always on DRM as the standard, coupled with microtransactions up the ass.

This. I'm expecting we'll see a wide new range of "next gen" measures designed to supplant the online pass system.

DGRE

Banned
Haha. EA tries to turn next-gen's evils into goodwill with players.

This is only being allowed to happen because the next Xbox won't allow used games to work anyway.

DigiMish

My guess is that they killed it because it creates friction in offering people IAP in their games, which they're going to continue doing and expand on.

Z3M0G

I agree with those saying...

Goodbye Online Pass

Hello Play Pass

Edit: as in, I also suspect this is the reason... its not something I want.

I hope this is the start of a trend, I'm sick of this online pass garbage! A better way to do things is to give preorder bonus or something. Hopefully other companies will follow suit. Especially Sony! Why they went in for this crap is beyond me.

Omikaru

I'm suspicious regarding this.

EA does not do something good for consumers, so I suspect they -- or the console manufacturers -- have something far worse lined up in next-gen.

And in the meantime, EA might as well reap some positive PR because, technically, they have killed the Online Pass.

Something is coming, I don't buy this is over for a second.....this might be the second time I like EA in the past couple of years after their gay rights outreach

Whats the point of EA Online PASS.

OH WAIT LET BUY AN OLD EA Game,

well lets enter the ONLINE PASS Code to activate Multi player.

.... SUCCESS 20 characters entered...

..SORRY THE SEVERS HAVE BEEN TAKEN DOWN... SUCKA!

Top Bottom