• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Q39iTo5.jpg
Damn

They probably saw COD raking in all the money with DLC. You want to hook people first, then they'll buy extra stuff. Not the other way around.

You're next, Sony.

this right here. people were picking up BF3, playing SP, then balking at MP completely due to the Online Pass and EA made no money instead of some money on DLC and Season Pass sales.

So online passes aren't the move forward for mining AA+ games?
It seems like they were the sure bet going forward into next gen.

EA trying to turn its image around a bit? Good for them.

Gattsu25

Banned
I can't wait for next gen...

I have a feeling that EA will be one of the publishers opting to have their games online-only...

Portugeezer

Maybe they did a cost-benefit and realized nobody bought the online passes?

It wasn't about buying passes for a used game, main point was to devalue used sales and incentive new purchases.

Guess it didn't work or... we're getting something worse.

Dunlop

This is what I'm thinking. People are already cheering without knowing what horrible machination EA is going to supplant the online pass with.
Aren't you doing the same thing, but for team gloom?

It's great news at this particular moment

Discontinue Online Pass Program, go exclusive NextBox next gen, require Always Online.

My guess is their games will require activation codes. You can sell your used games to Gamestop etc and whoever buys it will need to buy another code in addition to what he was charged for the used game. That's the only reason I can think of for why Gamestop left their meeting with Microsoft happy instead of still whining about used games. Other than simply not limiting used games completely.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. This is a bombshell. Does this mean previous online pass games are no longer required to have online passes?

Megatron

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe they found out that used game sales really do help them in the end. Maybe the online pass was hurting business more than second hand sales.

scitek

They won't need it since they'll likely be able to force you to enter a CD key with every new game you buy.

EDIT: ^ yup.

Top Bottom