• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is the company that won the Consumerist award for "Worst Company in America" two years straight. I think we're all well within our rights to doubt that EA has turned a new leaf. =P

We all know this poll doesn't mean anything when there is worst companies out there and that angry gamers voted in mass.

And why killing Origin? I know Steam is still better in general, but I thought competition was suppose to be a good thing? Do you guys really want Steam to be alone just because you want all your games in one place?
(I haven't bought anything on Origin other than ME3 DLCs, so maybe there is something i'm missing)

MJLord

Anyone remember the code name "Project $10" for this. Shows the contempt EA has for customers. Until I see good long term initiatives, I'll stay skeptical.

rvy

Banned
I guess the real question is who will be the first to discover EA's new plan and make the I KNEW IT forum

Online passes are gone because they figured out a way to lock your entire game to your PSN/XBLA account, so you can never sell it back.

BOOM!

Rok

Neo Member
Someone please explain this to me:

Publishers hate used game sales. Publishers want to get rid of used game sales. Gamestop are the biggest seller of used games. How come that publishers always make huge exclusive deals with gamestop if they hate them and gamestop is ruining their business? I just don't understand the logic behind this. As far as i know gamestop only orders as much new copies at release as they have to. Pre-orders + some extra copies. Anything else is used or not available until someone sells it to gamestop.

I don't live in a country where gamestop and others like gamestop are very big. I've got a used games shop like gamestop some kilometers away but they are still to expensive even used. I get much better deals from private persons on the internet (and they get more money too).

So how come a business like gamestop that pays you 10$ for 3 games and sells them each for 30$ can even exist in a world where publishers hate used games and people who want to sell/buy used games have options like ebay where they get much more for their games?

I think if you couldn't go to your gamestop nearby and buy a 2 week old game for 5-10$ off people would buy it new, so that the publisher/developer would get the money instead of gamestop. Do people really want to fuck the creater of the content they are consuming over, just to save 5-10$ for a new release?

Good news although I suspect like most in this thread that something else will take it's place.

So who's left? Which companies still have online passes?

antitrop

Isnt the word "feature" just definining that something is a part of something else? Or what is the proper word for it? (no jokes :p I'm actually wondering about it).
His usage fits the literal dictionary definition just fine (a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic), it's just that the commonly accepted usage of "feature" is usually meant to describe something as being desirable. It's just so rare to see people describe something that is considered universally negative to be a feature.

Certainly not wrong, just hilarious.

Mesoian

Someone please explain this to me:

Publishers hate used game sales. Publishers want to get rid of used game sales. Gamestop are the biggest seller of used games. How come that publishers always make huge exclusive deals with gamestop if they hate them and gamestop is ruining their business? I just don't understand the logic behind this. As far as i know gamestop only orders as much new copies at release as they have to. Pre-orders + some extra copies. Anything else is used or not available until someone sells it to gamestop.

I don't live in a country where gamestop and others like gamestop are very big. I've got a used games shop like gamestop some kilometers away but they are still to expensive even used. I get much better deals from private persons on the internet (and they get more money too).

So how come a business like gamestop that pays you 10$ for 3 games and sells them each for 30$ can even exist in a world where publishers hate used games and people who want to sell/buy used games have options like ebay where they get much more for their games?

I think if you couldn't go to your gamestop nearby and buy a 2 week old game for 5-10$ off people would buy it new, so that the publisher/developer would get the money instead of gamestop. Do people really want to fuck the creater of the content they are consuming over, just to save 5-10$ for a new release?

Gamestop is still one of the biggest brick and mortar seller of video games and video game related electronics in the US. You don't want to piss them off and run the risk of them not carrying new consoles, but still reselling new consoles. From a purely top down view, even without the support of the big 3, Gamestop can still survive, just in a severely limited compacity; very reminicent of how FuncoLand was run back in the day.

Dave Long

Banned
It's pretty clear that nothing used will exist next generation unless you play on Wii U. PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be locked down by publishers even if Microsoft and Sony don't make it mandatory.

One disc, one console, is coming fast.

Lost track fo the convo, has anyone raised the point that MTX are the replacment for Online Passes?

Microtransactions in Dead Space 3 (and FIFA XX) must have been sucessful for them, there will be less fallout than with Online passes...

Dont believe their lies...they've found something seemgly innocuous..

Tadale

Probably something worse in the pipe, but I definitely can see how an online pass can be financially detrimental, especially in online games with a lot of post-release DLC.

If someone picks up a used copy of BF3 a year from release at $20 buck or so, but never takes it online because they don't want to pay the $10 or whatever, that's no money gained. There should be no hurdles from someone getting invested in your multiplayer game – each potential player is someone that would buy post-release content and get his or her friends playing the game.

Online pass always seemed petty and shortsighted.

Ensoul

You should realize that player response means sales have been signficantly lower than expected. That's the feedback they look at the most.

I am wondering how this helps with sales though? Seems like this only benefits people who buy the games used which EA sees no money from anyway.

EDIT: Tadale made a great point and that could explain why. Truth is best buy had BF 3 on sale for 9.99. I was going to buy it before I realized that I had to pay another 9.99 just to get online.

I do think there is more to the story though. Since when does EA listen to the consumers?

You don't need online passes when everything is always online accompanied by crazy DRM :(

And you don't need always-online if you have good DRM.

It's pretty clear that nothing used will exist next generation unless you play on Wii U. PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be locked down by publishers even if Microsoft and Sony don't make it mandatory.

One disc, one console, is coming fast.

Incorrect. Gamestop met with both companies and came away praising them. They wouldn't do that if their main profit generator was being stripped away.

I can't understand the online pass, Activision and Take 2 don't use it and have been very successful. EA, Sony, and THQ do and have suffered for it. It's shit and does not guarantee revenue if your games are poor!

Tadale

I can't understand the online pass, Activision and Take 2 don't use it and have been very successful. EA, Sony, and THQ do and have suffered for it. It's shit and does not guarantee revenue if your games are poor!

Yep. Who cares if you don't get your money from a kid that bought COD used? That's one more customer who might get their friends interested in the game, and one more customer who might buy in to DLC.

Malio

Come on people, it's EA. They're not going to kill something that gives them cash-money unless there was something else coming down the pipeline, even more insidious.

MrKaepora

You should realize that player response means sales have been signficantly lower than expected. That's the feedback they look at the most.
Players response...Ah! Don't make me laugh. EA could put a bee hive with each copy of Fifa or Mass Effect and players would buy them regardless..

There's always a catch. In this case, I think we should prepare ourselves for the next generation of consoles to be always online DRM.

Dave Long

Banned
And you don't need always-online if you have good DRM.

Incorrect. Gamestop met with both companies and came away praising them. They wouldn't do that if their main profit generator was being stripped away.
Sure... praising them for having new games sales. We'll see what happens next. I will believe it when I see it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not really sure why everyone is going to "they're going to come up with something even more insidious".

They already have come up with their replacement. Have you played FIFA or Mass Effect online? Their multiplayer modes from now on are going to be built around gambling/collecting unlockable stuff/F2P-style stuff. They're getting rid of online passes because what they lose in margin on the used games they make up in revenue from Software as a Service. And then they discontinue the online servers for the games if they aren't generating profit any more.

And that's assuming they haven't also got revenue concessions from MS from Xbox Live, in which case they're also making a profit that way too.

Lost track fo the convo, has anyone raised the point that MTX are the replacment for Online Passes?

Microtransactions in Dead Space 3 (and FIFA XX) must have been sucessful for them, there will be less fallout than with Online passes...

Exactly, you nailed it.

MrKaepora

I'm not really sure why everyone is going to "they're going to come up with something even more insidious".

They already have come up with their replacement. Have you played FIFA or Mass Effect online? Their multiplayer modes from now on are going to be built around gambling/collecting unlockable stuff/F2P-style stuff. They're getting rid of online passes because what they lose in margin on the used games they make up in revenue from Software as a Service. And then they discontinue the online servers for the games if they aren't generating profit any more.

And that's assuming they haven't also got revenue concessions from MS from Xbox Live, in which case they're also making a profit that way too.

Exactly, you nailed it.

Hahahaha! Didn't know about this. I knew they had to have something prepared.

JWong

Banned

FUT has been making money for several years, so that doesn't really draw a link between Online Pass and their regular Microtransaction models.

Online Pass itself incurs a cost to maintain and develop. The resources taken to keep up Online Pass and Good Faith, if people believe that or not, are the real reasons.

Nibiru

Banned
We all know this poll doesn't mean anything when there is worst companies out there and that angry gamers voted in mass.

Just because there are far worse companies out there doesn't even nearly mean that this poll doesn't "mean anything."

It means that EA is seen as bad by the majority of gamers. To say this doesn't matter is silly.

Vesmir

Banned

Exactly, you nailed it.

Is it a bad thing? The consumer makes the choice on whether to purchase an item that s/he can just normally unlock through gameplay. This is far better than a gateway purchase that everyone -must- make in order to even begin playing.

Exactly, you nailed it.

Is that really a thing? If so, I imagine Activision also gets a piece?

Sorral

Need more to follow suit. Though the others are likely to follow on the micro-transactions route as well...

Sony already does with UC3's F2P. -_-

Is that really a thing? If so, I imagine Activision also gets a piece?

I thought they always did which is why the map packs are exclusive for a month on the 360.

Adam Blue

So GAF, is it safe to assume Riccitello's removal directly resulted in this?

Nah, the two are related by a common incident. One is not the outcome of the other.

If the PS4 and Infinity both have optional used game protection, this is what the publishers will use instead.

Or as mentioned, this makes them look good since microtransactions are making them money (until that looks bad....when they become core parts of a game).

Top Bottom