• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Mirror's Edge 2 is "on the list" of things to do

A sequel to Mirror's Edge is "on the list" of things to do, EA Labels president Frank Gibeau has suggested, saying it's "really about how and when" to bring the series back.

"We have nothing to announce," said Gibeau speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer. "We love Faith. We love the property. It's really about how and when do you bring it back?

"It's on the list. It's just about looking at what teams are available, who's got the right quality approach to it, and who understands it."

EA has often hinted that a sequel to 2008's first-person free-runner could be in development.

In 2009, EA's Patrick Soderlund told VideoGamer that a "small team" was working on Mirror's Edge 2. Then, during E3 2011, Gibeau hinted that a sequel could be developed using DICE's Frostbite 2 engine.

Later in the year, DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson suggested that Battlefield 3's success could improve the chances of Mirror's Edge 2 being built, saying that "part of our strategy moving forward as a studio [is] that we don't just want to build Battlefield."

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/mirrors_edge/news/mirrors_edge_2_is_on_the_list_ea.html

Aegus

I want this middle of next-gen preferably. Frostbite 2 (or 3 if they do another version).

Also I'd like non-linear paths with a branching storyline depending on the speed you get to places.

If it happens, which it probably will since it's a free property for them, I doubt DICE will be making it.

This is sad...EA has turned Dice into a Battlefield only studio. I wonder how many employees will leave the company....surely they will get sick of making the same game over and over again.

I do want to see a Bad Company 3 on the next gen consoles though. I really loved BC2 way more than BF3

DaBuddaDa

At least they're extremely consistent every time they talk about Mirror's Edge 2. I feel like I've read those same comments half a dozen times already.

It's the game that has no Faith. They're recasting her as a white girl sporting underboob, but don't worry because she's strong and independent.
Also, the majority of the gameplay will feature her new ex marine boyfriend for some inexplicable reason.

I have no faith in a new ME in this day and age.

daviyoung

Banned
This is sad...EA has turned Dice into a Battlefield only studio. I wonder how many employees will leave the company....surely they will get sick of making the same game over and over again.

I do want to see a Bad Company 3 on the next gen consoles though. I really loved BC2 way more than BF3

Troedsson saying he's looking to move on doesn't mean anything when your overlords are telling you where to go. I'm sure some members of DICE will be on the project board and consulting if it does go to another studio.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Not even close!
Im kinda a DICE fanboy and yeah i know my stuff. :3

DICE helped on MOH and Need For Speed and they just opened a new office (Sweden too) to make F2P games i believe.

Anyway: Mirrors Edge 2 F2P by Bioware pls!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If they won't let DICE have free reign to make it then just leave it alone. I don't want some random EA studio taking a dump on the franchise.

batbeg

By this point, I'm willing to wait another 2 or 3 years, so long as it's absolutely incredible and does for me what the first one did.

EA To do list

- Start another digital service
- Kill dragon age series
- Dig up and kill Syndicate series
- Kill dead space series (working on)
- Dig up and kill origin series again
- Turn mirrors edge into a third person shooter
- Close Origin and make purchased games unplayable

Whilst I love Mirror's Edge - I'm not sure if the sales gives them much reason/the opportunity to develop over other projects.

Mirror's Edge would be something they should try on WiiU, in fact it would have made a decent launch title to try and build the series up.

Otherwise maybe they should look at handhelds/mobile - especially EA could do with some other revenue sources, why they haven't tried harder outside of console gaming I have no idea.

EA To do list

- Kill dragon age series

hahah, so true! But I still like EA more than Activision.

When it happens everyone will be outraged that it's not the game they wanted. It'll have too much action or it'll be some lame f2p game etc.

Dibbz

Someone should make a cycle pic like the sonic one but with EA making new franchises for the core gamer, running them into the ground to try and appeal to the mass market then going back to the core gamer.

Feindflug

You forgot a shit load of swearing.

Loved Mirrors Edge, and was there day one at full price. I think I'd rather they attempt a sequel one day, than just let it die - however it turns out.

Same here, bought the game at 60e and loved every minute of it - definitely one of my favorite games this gen.

Too bad that there's no fuckin' chance that we'll see a sequel that plays like the first game today published by EA...so I think it's a better idea to just let the series die and by that I mean that I don't want a sequel like Dead Space 3. :(

Sethos

Banned
EA To do list

- Kill dragon age series
- Win "worst company" award

Added a bit to it.