• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Mirror's Edge 2 is "on the list" of things to do

How could ME1 have lost any money though? It was a game that had running/jumping mechanics in first person set in a world with extremely simple and basic assets, along with a couple of enemy models and weapon models -- and hardly anything else.

Wouldn't it be possible for a person with lots of programming/modelling knowledge to make that game in a few weeks?

Not bashing the game, cause I like it, but it released at 60$ or so, and I'm pretty sure it could have been made by an indie developer in a few weeks/months with an engine ready. And 60$ games obviously should have considerably more content. (If it really only lasts for less than 5 hours as implied in this thread somewhere. Haven't played through it.)

lol ok that would only work if the whole game was just the trial runs DLC, maybe you should play it before judging the design.

BTW, Dear Esther has the same environment artist, Robert Briscoe, from Mirror's Edge.

Jac_Solar

lol ok that would only work if the whole game was just the trial runs DLC, maybe you should play it before judging the design.

BTW, Dear Esther has the same environment artist, Robert Briscoe, from Mirror's Edge.

I've played it a couple of times (A couple of hours in total probably.).

But it wasn't a trashing attempt at Mirrors Edge -- it's more or less an opinon based on how I just can't figure out how video games are so extremely expensive. Yes, I understand people need to be paid, programs need to be licensed, but the insane amounts of money they claim they spend on games/need to make games just seems way too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if :

1. The ridiculous amounts of money "needed to make a game" is an elaborate ruse maintained by publishers/people who make money off games -- and like 50% of the money goes to a couple of executives of a game project who don't really do anything. I mean, who would know? The bill would state some sort of expenses necessary for the project or split across many people/shell companies for 'expenditures'', or whatever, while the people who work on the game wouldn't care as long as they are paid their normal expected salary.

2. Or if that's not the case, perhaps 50-80% goes to famous voice actors, or marketing -- but not the game itself.

3. People who are new to the industry who somehow made lots of money off a game (An indie developer for example.) and got into a position where he/she would be in control of a game project would quickly learn the "tricks" since the established publishers have been around for a very long time, or came from a similar industry with, most likely, similar tricks.

4. Or maybe the "big" companies are extremely inefficient -- ie, they have 150 people working and getting paid on a project, but due to the complex pipeline of game production & development, it gets bogged down so extremely much that if they somehow managed to produce the game efficiently, a game that's made in 2 years by 150 people should have easily been made in 2 months or less.

Blizzard

Banned
That's actually quite a good sidescroller (or was...I get terrible performance in the browser I just tried it with, but it probably works with other browsers).

The last time I looked it up, I think he was AN environment artist -- he worked on a level or three, not the whole game. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ferrio

Banned
One of the most original games out there, which could be *great* if they fixed a few things. Unfortunately one of those things is removing any FPS mechanic, and like hell EA would ever do that... they'll do the opposite and run this bitch into the ground.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are they going to make us care about the character and having to escape from a rapist? (Cheap Tomb Raider JK I know)

That's actually quite a good sidescroller (or was...I get terrible performance in the browser I just tried it with, but it probably works with other browsers).

The last time I looked it up, I think he was AN environment artist -- he worked on a level or three, not the whole game. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3rAbpwUgw

ibdwZqLhxFA2nZ.jpg

According to the credits, he's the only environment artist. The old mod might have had different environment artists, but this new version seems to be all his beast.

I would buy a ME2, providing a few things:
- No combat
- Present the cut-scenes in a different way, or have none at all
- Make it longer, I'm not really interested in extra content including time trials and whatnot, I'd rather just have a longer story
- Keep the same style with the visuals and music
- Less focus on a throwaway story, more focus on adding interesting gameplay elements

Dany

Banned
- No combat
- Make it longer, I'm not really interested in extra content including time trials and whatnot, I'd rather just have a longer story
- Less focus on a throwaway story, more focus on adding interesting gameplay elements

Weather Dynamics. I want to run on rooftops at night in the rain. An open-world also would be awesome.

Takao

Banned
If they won't let DICE have free reign to make it then just leave it alone. I don't want some random EA studio taking a dump on the franchise.

Wasn't this going to happen for ME on Wii and PSP but was ultimately canned? Except in that situation I believe it was Backbone who was going to take the dump, lol.

Yeaaaaah. From the sounds of that, even if we get ME2 it won't be anything like the ME2 everyone wants it to be, it'll be the ME2 that they can market and sell to the masses. Also sounds like DICE won't be making it, *sigh*

- No combat

Basically the opposite of everything this guy said =P

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I hear rumblings about this sequel, I boot up Mirror's Edge just to get a taste for it again and I'm always... slightly disappointed. It was so close to being what I wanted it to be.

Suairyu

Banned
- No combat
People always want to remove the elements that made the first one exhilarating to play :(

An open-world also would be awesome.
It absolutely would not and I can only assume you never played the original. Open world and Mirror's Edge are completely incompatible.

I recall (but could be wrong) the developers saying much the same thing prior to the launch when everyone was screaming "open world!!!" back then, too.

Dany

Banned
The combat was atrocious in ME, it simply didn't need to exist in that game.

Why can't an open world work? It would be an amazing experience.

People always want to remove the elements that made the first one exhilarating to play :(

It absolutely would not and I can only assume you never played the original. Open world and Mirror's Edge are completely incompatible.

I recall (but could be wrong) the developers saying much the same thing prior to the launch when everyone was screaming "open world!!!" back then, too.

Combat just ruined the flow and the pacing completely in the original, not to mention it was frustrating and a bit janky. There's lots of other things they can do with the gameplay to make it exhilarating

I agree about the open world thing, a game like ME needs a pretty defined direction otherwise it will just fall apart. Think perhaps, an open/explorable Sonic game compared to the traditional style, not as good.

Fox Mulder

I don't want a Mirrors Edge sequel.

EA ruined Mass Effect and Dead Space by giving them ''broad appeal''. I don't need to see them do the same to another game I enjoyed.

- No combat
For me I'm far more interested in extra time trials and similar kinds of modes which add competition and replayability. Ideally full multiplayer modes are necessary as well so I've a least go something to do if another sequel is never released afterwards (I still play Mirror's edge every few months at the moment still). The story mode just feels like the equivalent of a tutorial in ME1. I do agree with the rest of your points though (except maybe some aspects of combat because some of the best sections in the story mode were chase scenes).

Suairyu

Banned
The combat was atrocious in ME, it simply didn't need to exist in that game.
Combat just ruined the flow and the pacing completely in the original, not to mention it was frustrating and a bit janky. There's lots of other things they can do with the gameplay to make it exhilarating.
It was meant to be atrocious and "janky" (it wasn't janky, but whatever, we'll roll with that description). That was the point. Faith isn't a soldier.

And it certainly didn't ruin the flow. It enhanced it by creating new lines and speeding up traversal. Typical Mirror's Edge combat encounter play-out:

Sprint past first guy or two > come across lone enemy, get in close as he'll melee > counter the melee, disarming him of his gun > use gun to fire off a few shots at police, opening up a new path briefly before other guys move in > ditch the gun and sprint through that newly opened path

The guns were all about use-and-discard. It's there to assist Faith, not empower her. And man, do I feel like a badass whenever I disarm an enemy and use their own gun to open up a new running line.

You're never forced to do it - you can always take the slow way if you want to - but it's a valid and useful option and certainly fits in with the whole "being chased, get out NOW!" feel of the game. You then have the time trials for just pure platforming.

I guess I could see how people got frustrated if they were expecting accuracy or for the game to magically switch into a full-blown FPS once they picked up a gun, but for what it needed to achieve, it performed beautifully.

Why can't an open world work? It would be an amazing experience.
Because ME gameplay depends on very carefully designed linear levels. Open world means you'll be coming in from all angles, making design near impossible. To make open world work, you'd need to radically alter the mechanics to something like Assassins Creed.

Mirror's Edge is a linear game for a reason.

Shabutaro

Oh EA....every time I come to terms with the death of this game you always give me hope in the form of hints of your semi interest in maybe doing a sequel eventually

Well if they ever decide to go through with it, I think we will all benefit from a lack of esurance style cutscenes

pringles

I'm just glad they aren't saying they aren't sure if we'll get a sequel. For all the flack it gets, Mirror's Edge had some really fun moments; probably my biggest gripe though were the hundreds of pace-killing pipes you had to climb.

If they could fix some of the areas where Mirror's Edge went wrong, it could be an incredible game.
Most of the places you thought were "pace-killing" could probably be avoided with a much faster route :p

Playing through the game after getting all the stars on the tine trials was an eye-opening experience.

I think they nailed so much on the first attempt that I barely see how a sequel could surpass it. I want one for sure, but maybe it's best they take their time and wait for next-gen where they can truly take the concept to the next level with larger scale, maybe running through crowded streets and such.. Multiplayer would be great if they had stuff like a huge area and you have to beat the other players to a location, or one player is chased, or some kind of co-op.. sooo much potential.

Top Bottom