• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come." [Up: Full Direct Quote]

Eusis

So by EA using Gen4 they erased from history anything that happened before the PS1?
I have to admit I'm being a bit pedantic and a bit biased in favor of what I grew up with, but the development angle does make sense especially when you look at the Unreal engine (though id tech spits in the face of that, more closely matching my preference). And admittedly I think what I said is more from a consumer's view than a engine development view: a lot of franchises got their starts then and are still relevant or brought up again, whereas little to nothing but the biggest stuff (IE Pac-man) survived past the first two generations.

ASIS

Can someone help me out here, I can't seem to understand the meaning of his answer. I mean yes he says "other" next gen consoles but i think he's strictly speaking from a financial point of view (since both question and answer refer to the numbers next gen will put out). I don't get how "Gen 4" excludes the Wii U like some of you are implying.

The actual important part of this quote isn't the generation thing, but rather how they avoided the question and did not say "We intend to support the system." EA and Nintendo are not at peace.

Bingo. They avoided saying that, but made a point of noting that they were excited and investing in "Gen 4".

wsippel

Banned
Wait just noticed. He said other next-gen consoles. So do they consider it next-gen or not?
Dunno. Maybe they simply mean that the game doesn't really start until all players are on the field. Which would make sense for a company so heavily invested in multiplatform development.

Or maybe they're just stupid. Wouldn't really surprise anyone.

NateDrake

It means that their gen classification refers to internal factors and that's how they refer to them in situations like this, but everyone with half a brain refers to generations based on whether or not the console is a successor to the system before it.

The actual important part of this quote isn't the generation thing, but rather how they avoided the question and did not say "We intend to support the system." EA and Nintendo are not at peace.

Exactly. EA avoided the question and instead talked about investing in future product. Maybe the question wasn't clear and this was the best bullshit reply they could come up with on the spot.

Or Gen 4 doesn't begin until all consoles are out -- Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 720.

def sim

guys

isn't it more upsetting that the answer to their lackluster support for the wii u is "nintendo has their own games"

that's kind of a bomb isn't it

right

This isn't hard, you guys.

We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles, can't talk a lot about that though.
Translation: Wii U is next-gen, but we don't think it's struggles will translate to other upcoming platforms.

What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come. We're excited and investing in it.
Translation: We also haven't invested anything into new engines for Wii U, meaning all of our products for it are using old code/frameworks/paradigms -- thus even though the Wii U is next-gen as a platform, our games for it are not. "Gen 4" represents the new framework for forthcoming, more graphics-oriented games.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
All I got from that is that the other consoles will be more powerful and that is what he considers next gen, not Wii U.

Regardless of power I expect shit support from EA.

Foffy

Banned
guys

isn't it more upsetting that the answer to their lackluster support for the wii u is "nintendo has their own games"

right

The fact they hardly consider the platform even applicable for most ports is rather telling on behalf of EA.

Ummmm....nope....

We've been in the eighth generation since 2011. 3DS, Vita, Wii U, and then Orbis/Durango.

Maxrunner

guys

right

Yep, perhaps Nintendo will get their act together and fund more western studios because it's clear that Nintendo won't get Third Party support like the other two will.

Translation: Wii U is next-gen, but we don't think it's struggles will translate to other upcoming platforms.

Translation: We also haven't invested anything into new engines for Wii U, meaning all of our products for it are using old code -- thus even though the Wii U is next-gen as a platform, our games for it are not. "Gen 4" represents the new framework for forthcoming, more graphics-oriented games.

Exactly... I don't understand the lack of reading skills from other posters. Its clear he was saying Wii U is next gen, WiiU will rebound with Nintendo IPs, and EA has not put out its next-gen games yet.

BearPawB

Banned
The fact they hardly consider the platform even applicable for most ports is rather telling on behalf of EA.

We've been in the eighth generation since 2011. 3DS, Vita, Wii U, and then Orbis/Durango.

I disagree. Generations are determined by power. If I released a new snes style system it would not be "next gen" because it's new.

Evolution implies progress.

And don't take this as a swipe at the wii u, I want one

NateDrake

Translation: We also haven't invested anything into new engines for Wii U, meaning all of our products for it are using old code/frameworks/paradigms -- thus even though the Wii U is next-gen as a platform, our games for it are not. "Gen 4" represents the new framework for forthcoming, more graphics-oriented games.

This is how I initially read it, but then thought I was looking too much into it.

Eusis

Missed this.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't some SNES and Mega Drive game have 3D in some of their games, so shouldn't they start from there?
Yeah, that's been noted, though they DID kick off more in the 32-bit generation. I think the engine development angle is more relevant, even if that is flawed (id's numbers roughly correlate with the number of generations from the NES onwards, though id Tech 1 seems to correlate more with Doom and thus SNES, so that skips the NES still.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I disagree. Generations are determined by power. If I released a new snes style system it would not be "next gen" because it's new.

Well they're not, but luckily there is no confusion here as every console is more powerful than the previous.

Foffy

Banned

And all of the systems I cited were evolved platforms based on their predecessors. Why is it more exclusively based on raw horsepower? The DS and Wii showed you don't need to be in the technological arms race for new platforms, so why have the idea of a newer generation relying exclusively on having massive power when the 3DS, Vita, and Wii U all have more power over their direct generation predecessors?

Maxrunner

Bingo.

Retro Studios creating an online shooter.

If they don't set the example they will never get support. But instead their moto is, "we dont do this kind of games, so we make deals with third-partys". The problem with this is that if the deal doesn't result in good selling numbers then they wont continue with other deals.....they need to make more western oriented games internally in US or Europe...like Sony did by funding their AAA studios.

My interpretation.

A: Never count Nintendo out. They have great IP. You will see a bounce when they bring these IPs out. We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles,

Nintendo is fine with their own IP, they will survive on that.

We see NO CORRELATION between the sales of WiiU and what nintendo and sony has yet to offer.

Followed by:

can't talk a lot about that though.

They can't talk about what Sony and MS are doing.

At this point forward they are not talking about the WiiU.

What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come. We're excited and investing in it.

Gen4 is yet to come. WiiU is already here. Meaning Gen4 =/= WiiU.

Mindlog

Haha, yeah. I freely admit to being part of the curmudgeonly gaming masses in this regard, but this seems like a rather obvious explanation.

They weren't trying to say "Wii U is not next-gen" the way some fanboys are saying it, in other words.
Exactly. Something can be new, without introducing a suite of new tech and still be GREAT! I know that some people try to use the generation labeling as an insult and that's just as silly to me.

I largely ignore gaming gen labels as they're completely devoid of meaning. It was released after XX/XX/XXXX ok. And? With most other products a gen label is accompanied with a slew of other descriptors.
________
Besides Gen 4 is referring to their own games and not hardware :p
All of their NEW games are still Gen 3.

Gen 4? Even if I'm being generous and start with NES

NES ->SNES ->PS1 -> PS2 -> Wii/PS3/360

That's 5 already dude.

True, but I think they are seeing it more like this:

NES ->SNES ->PS1 -> GC/Xbox/PS2/Wii -> WiiU/PS3/360 -> Orbis/Durango

They are defining gens by power and performance, not time or method of control. While WiiU is superior to PS3 and 360, some think its not a 'generational leap' ahead. Some people expect Orbis/Durango games to be a lot more demanding than what WiiU can do. Personally I can't wait to see these games to know if its really true or just hype.

My interpretation.

No.

He clearly already stated WiiU was in his definition of next-gen. All he is saying is their "gen4" content has yet to come.... to ANY console. Look at WiiU's EA support, its all ports and what they'd define as "gen3" software because that is the software base its written on.

The next EA games for WiiU and other next-gen systems will be that gen4 content he is referring to and can't talk about yet.

BearPawB

Banned
And all of the systems I cited were evolved platforms based on their predecessors. Why is it more exclusively based on raw horsepower? The DS and Wii showed you don't need to be in the technological arms race for new platforms, so why have the idea of a newer generation relying exclusively on having massive power when the 3DS, Vita, and Wii U all have more power over their direct generation predecessors?

It's not about Rahhh more power. It's about what games it's playing. If the multiplatform games on wii u have more in common with the 360 versions than the 720 versions, it should be considered part of the 360s console generation. As it runs the same games.

Handhelds are their own thing.

I get that no one agrees with me, and that I'm probably by every definition of the word wrong. But you can't argue it's perrception

Wiz

No it doesn't.

In terms of 3D graphics, we're entering the 4th gen or "leap". I'm understanding EA's comments as saying that leap has not come yet, and will most likely come with MS/Sony's consoles.

I'm not arguing that the Wii U isn't a Gen 8 console.

True, but I think they are seeing it more like this:

NES ->SNES ->PS1 -> GC/Xbox/PS2/Wii -> WiiU/PS3/360 -> Orbis/Durango

They are defining gens by power and performance, not time or method of control. While WiiU is superior to PS3 and 360, some think its not a 'generational leap' ahead. Some people expect Orbis/Durango games to be a lot more demanding than what WiiU can do. Personally I can't wait to see these games to know if its really true or just hype.

Why is the "gen4" concept so hard for everyone?

It has nothing to do with the external generation of consoles.

It has everything to do with their own internal software bases and some arbitrary point they defined as gen1. I read in another site that it refers to DICE 3D engines.

So the 4th revision of those internal platforms will be its gen4.

B.O.O.M

What a bunch of babies. Unfortunately I think Orbis/Durango will be massive markets again like this generation so EA will be OK.

Yes..how unfortunate >_> What am I even reading

EA is still butthurt.

Generations aren't determined by power. It's determined by hardware releases in the market. It doesn't matter if one console is a little uglier than the other. PS2/Xbox/GCN market is different to the PS3/360/Wii market as will the PS4/720/WiiU market be different. You think with all the sales talk, people would understand that.

what are they butt hurt about exactly?

And can we not start a what defines a generation argument in this thread..it happens way too frequently these days.

ASIS

My interpretation.

Nintendo is fine with their own IP, they will survive on that.

We see NO CORRELATION between the sales of WiiU and what nintendo and sony has yet to offer.

Followed by:

They can't talk about what Sony and MS are doing.

At this point forward they are not talking about the WiiU.

Oh, now I get it. But I guess that's what makes the "gen4" fiasco so confusing. If they are talking about engines, games, etc. Then Wii U is a part of that statement (whether or not they support it is another matter). On the other hand, if he meant "gen4" were the systems themselves, then Wii U clearly is not a part of this.

I suppose we need to dig a bit deeper to see what they meant by "Gen 3", that should give a clearer answer.

Either way, the answer makes one thing clear: We will not support Wii U as much as the other consoles.

Owzers

That was an amazing comment though, i don't care at all about the "what gen are we on" arguments, but coming out and saying that Nintendo has a great personality and that they'll be okay was :)

People people have the same drive to expose gaming news to what would be obtainable for news related to the government or issues people would care about.

Why would a person risk their job to reveal information regarding EA and nintendo?

No reason.

Why would a person risk their job to expose a company that committing fraud?

No reason, but there is more moral drive on this one.
So do you think all the hardware leaks we've had with each console have been manufactured by the platform holders? There will always be somebody willing to talk, even it it's not a moral issue or life-and-death issue.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
No.

He clearly already stated WiiU was in his definition of next-gen. All he is saying is their "gen4" content has yet to come.... to ANY console. Look at WiiU's EA support, its all ports and what they'd define as "gen3" software because that is the software base its written on.

The next EA games for WiiU and other next-gen systems will be that gen4 content he is referring to and can't talk about yet.

I think your explanation makes sense, but we don't know for sure what he meant, regardless of reading comprehension.

We are still guessing.

Top Bottom