• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA opens new DICE studio in LA. Will work on [Battlefield and more]

MasLegio

Banned
If EA aren't putting Stockholm DICE on Star Wars after BF4 is done, they really are as dumb as dogshit.

I would say the opposite.

DICE Stockholm needs to do R&D on engines and new concepts and continue working on Battlefield.

To throw away the Battlefield brand to a second tier studio would be incredibly dumb.

2MF

Hmm so they lay off a bunch of people to make room for a Star Wars Studio to churn out games. Lovely.

It has not been confirmed anywhere that DICE LA will be working on Star Wars (as that tweet in the OP says). As far as I can tell, it's just a bunch of gaming journalists jumping to conclusions.

Is there any quote from EA or DICE associating DICE LA with Star Wars?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It has not been confirmed anywhere that DICE LA will be working on Star Wars (as that tweet in the OP says). As far as I can tell, it's just a bunch of gaming journalists jumping to conclusions.

I think people are getting confused since the WSJ article talks both about Star Wars and the new studio, but it's not viewable by most people reporting on it.

But yeah, given that you would actually know, I'll update the title.

I would say the opposite.

DICE Stockholm needs to do R&D on engines and new concepts and continue working on Battlefield.

To throw away the Battlefield brand to a second tier studio would be incredibly dumb.

They don't need to throw away anything. Give tradition Battlefield a break and holy fucking forbid, try something new.

evangd007

EA: We tried to name every studio we owned Visceral. When that failed, we tried to name every studio we owned Bioware. Now that that has failed, we are going to name every studio we own DICE.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHY.jpg

Just leave them as Danger Close. :/ DICE isn't DICE if they aren't in Stockholm.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Okay I found the article: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/05/ea-opens-new-dice-studio-in-la-will.html

There is an implication in here that Star Wars will be used as a recruiting tool to help get employees for DICE, so I could see that context being read as they're working on Star Wars.

Why?

It's expensive and EA has lots of studios.

To explicitly try to hire people from Infinity Ward and Treyarch judging by the article, along with the other studios in the region.

Das-J

Law of the West
Lots of misinformation out there that should be cleared up soon...

Meanwhile, we're all quite excited with this opportunity!

Oshimai

An update from IGN:

Update: A tweet from the Battlefield account has revealed some of the jobs on offer in the new LA-based studio, offering some insight into what DICE LA will be working on.

It looks like the studio will be fairly focused on mobile titles, with the development manager role requiring the new hire to "manage and coordinate the maintenance of EA’s Android and iOS catalogue of games", while anyone wishing to apply for the level designer role should have "familiarity with the mass casual game space" along with "familiarity with a female 35+ gamer demographic" and "has shipped successful social/mobile products" while understanding "monetization and free to play / freemium models."

PC users may be interested to hear that the gameplay engineer role should have experience of work on PC titles, as well as "experience developing and supporting back end game play systems in a client-server environment (e. g. MMO)", though seeing as Star Wars: The Old Republic is still rolling on, we can't see EA rushing to take another Star Wars MMO to market just yet.

Don't worry too much about consoles being neglected though; an audio artist position requests "strong Gen 3 console title experience" as well as "solid knowledge of PC and console audio hardware".

The new studio is also said to include a "fitness center, cafeteria, sports field, sand volleyball court, basketball court and more."

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/334604228171542528
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/ea-planning-star-wars-focused-dice-la-studio

inm8num2

Disney said last fall they wanted to focus on mobile and social.

SW is dead. SW games are dead. LucasArts is dead.

Don't get your hopes up.

Disney said last fall they wanted to focus on mobile and social.

SW is dead. SW games are dead. LucasArts is dead.

Don't get your hopes up.

Yes, but that was before SW and EA taking over its license. You cant have a company like EA (who make games like Battlefield) take over the SW license and not suddenly think about how big a game like Battlefront3 could be.

The plans have changed im sure.

WHY.jpg

Just leave them as Danger Close. :/ DICE isn't DICE if they aren't in Stockholm.

Because the general gaming populace will now say, "It's from the guys that did Battlefield." because it has DICE in the name, which is much more of an endorsement than what previously existed.

A majority of people don't even know that DICE is in another country.

All they need to do is give me 3 SW games and I will be happy!

1) A NEW JEDI KNIGHT
2) A NEW XWING GAME
3) A NEW BATTLEFRONT

A new Kotor wouldn't hurt either, but after the epic dail of TOR I am kind of down on that deal.

2MF

Okay I found the article: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/05/ea-opens-new-dice-studio-in-la-will.html

There is an implication in here that Star Wars will be used as a recruiting tool to help get employees for DICE, so I could see that context being read as they're working on Star Wars.

To explicitly try to hire people from Infinity Ward and Treyarch judging by the article, along with the other studios in the region.

I couldn't have said this back then, but now it's public info:

http://dice.se/about/la/

DICE L.A. will work on next generation releases in the Battlefield franchise, one of the biggest and most exciting brands in entertainment. The L.A. studio will also work on unannounced projects, all built on the Frostbite 3 engine.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DICE Buenos Aires is next.

Top Bottom