• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Patents Fraud Detection System to Clamp Down on Cheaters

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As online cheaters aren't just affecting their own experience with the game, but the experience of everyone they play with, the practice is widely regarded as unfair. However, this hasn’t stopped online cheating from becoming an extremely profitable business platform for some, as they can sell modified or higher-level items to would-be cheating players. This is a practice EA is trying to tackle with a new patent for a fraud detection system, which is meant to catch the parasitic accounts attempting to sell illegitimate in-game items to other online players.

Most games already have systems in place for catching players using items or in-game currency they shouldn’t have, although these systems aren't always reliable, and games like GTA Online have targeted innocent online players. But EA’s patent builds upon these systems by tracking how the player received the illegal in-game item in the first place. The hope for this patent seems to be stomping out the players who produce and sell these unfair advantages in online games.

An important aspect of the patent to note, is EA’s specificity when regarding the tackling of “unauthorized vendors” rather than the in-game items they sell. EA as a publisher is notorious for pushing microtransactions within its games, which came to a head after the huge player backlash that followed the release of Star Wars Battlefront 2. But EA’s latest fraud detection patent does seem more focused on removing the possible competition of unauthorized players selling in-game items, rather than concerns over these in-game items providing an unfair advantage in online games.

EA-unauthorised-vendor-patent.jpg

Fahdis

So, does this mean BigDoodoo69 won't be able to one shot me in Battlefield 1 through a billion walls at the end of the other map? Or am I thinking too well of EA?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So, does this mean BigDoodoo69 won't be able to one shot me in Battlefield 1 through a billion walls at the end of the other map? Or am I thinking too well of EA?

No that's fine, but by God if you manage to sidestep MTX or earn too much ingame currency to avoid it via abusing bugs.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
This is not to combat cheating. This is to fight RMT which companies hate the most as they want to sell you all the useless virtual items themselves.

Remember Activision only got serious about an anti-cheat in Warzone once skin unlockers started gaining popularity. According to them you can cheat and ruin others experience all you want but god forbid if you unlock a crappy skin without paying.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
By reading the title:
"why would ea patent anti cheat software how about helping other dev..."

This is a practice EA is trying to tackle with a new patent for a fraud detection system, which is meant to catch the parasitic accounts attempting to sell illegitimate in-game items to other online players.
Nevermind...

Top Bottom