• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Rockefellers indoctrinating youths to alien cults (demo pricing errors on Xbox)

TrueGrime

tumblr_inline_n7430fzxEc1qlv4f0.gif

Doctor_Who_yes_2.gif

Occam

The reason for this pricing error
experiment
happening on Xbox is obvious: During the past two generations, Xbox owners demonstrated that they enjoy paying for things that should be free (paywall for online gaming and free online apps).

TrueGrime

experiment
happening on Xbox is obvious: During the past two generations, Xbox owners demonstrated that they enjoy paying for things that should be free (paywall for online gaming and free online apps).

Because all Xbox owners bought Xbox's for those apps behind paywalls and enjoyed it! Not a single xbox owner was against this! You're totally right.

Joker_clap.gif

GavinGT

Banned
experiment

Oh stop.

Because all Xbox owners bought Xbox's for those apps behind paywalls and enjoyed it! Not a single xbox owner was against this! You're totally right.

Joker_clap.gif

It's not like Sony is above pricing experiments, what with the initial plan to make the full-priced Driveclub upgrade tied to PlayStation Plus subscription, but please let's not make this into a platform fight. If paid demos take hold on one service, they will indubitably arrive to all platforms eventually, and that would be bad for everyone.

Occam

Did the money of those Xbox owners who were against it but paid nonetheless smell differently?

Occam

Well, as has been suggested earlier, if there is enough backlash this will be revealed to be a pricing error.

I searched the store on my Pc and the demo showed as paid. After logging in said I already purchased it.

I'm not buying this is a price error, why would they be meddling with the price of a demo months after release?

Occam

Dude, stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

I don't wish to derail this any further, but how so? You vote with your wallet, and that is all that counts for corporations.
(I also thought this was a rather clever allusion to the famous quote by Vespasian.)

TrueGrime

It's not like Sony is above pricing experiments, what with the initial plan to make the full-priced Driveclub upgrade tied to PlayStation Plus subscription, but please let's not make this into a platform fight. If paid demos take hold on one service, they will indubitably arrive to all platforms eventually, and that would be bad for everyone.

Oh I understand this but his comments and my reply had nothing to do with a platform war.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't wish to derail this any further, but how so? You vote with your wallet, and that is all that counts for corporations.
(I also thought this was a rather clever allusion to the famous quote by Vespasian.)

So why did Microsoft make apps free to use and Sony started charging for online play if "enjoying" paying for things is a unique trait of Xbox owners?

Frologic

The only demo I feel like I should have paid $5 for was Crackdown. They pretty much gave us 1/3 of the game.
I wouldn't actually pay $5 still but damn that was a generous demo

Twinduct

So this is the dawn of 'exclusively free demos' on platform x in the next PR spin for suits on a stage?

Next step is IAP in demos right?

(Hope its just a pricing error, although with EA you can never really be too sure)

n0tail

Banned
EA Sports UFC demo on PS4 was free. I think this must be some error. At least I hope. Because of not, this is sad.

UrbanRats

A demo takes extra development time (& costs) to create, it's only fair to pay a little fee for it!

We've just been lucky all this time.

experiment

Yeah, god forbid consumers paying for a quality service that for many years no one could hope to match.

Mr Croft

Seriously they are trying to charge for demos! What is going on this Gen :(
if people start to pay for demos I fear what the results will be....

I have the demo for Xbox one but when I got it, it was free I'm curious on why it costs money now. Especially after that funny Joe Rogan bill Goldberg voice over bug video to make the game look a little less appealing

Occam

So why did Microsoft make apps free to use and Sony started charging for online play if "enjoying" paying for things is a unique trait of Xbox owners?

I didn't say "unique trait". Just tendencies. At a time when there was a choice, some consumers paid more than others. Sony simply saw how well this kind of "incentive" to increase the number of subscribers works and also paywalled online gaming. The important difference being that in addition to just online gaming they always added actual value by also giving their customers access to a number of full games for the duration of the subscruiption.

valkyre

I blame GT fans for buying Prologue.

I blame COD fans for buying each and every year game expansions/map packs for full price...

The list goes on...

Oh and on topic, wtf is this BS from EA? That's disgusting...Ι only hope that this is a mistake and nothing more.

GavinGT

Banned
I didn't say "unique trait". Just tendencies. At a time when there was a choice, some consumers paid more than others. Sony simply saw how well this kind of "incentive" to increase the number of subscribers works and also paywalled online gaming. The important difference being that they always added actual value by also giving their customers access to a number of full games in addition to online gaming for the duration of the subscruiption.

Maybe they bought the cheaper console, or the one with the games they wanted, or the one their friends had.

Top Bottom