• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

Model 500

Tennis for Everyone: As simple or as complex as users want their gaming experience to be.

Whaddya know, someone else besides Nintendo gets what for everyone means and what the Wii can do best. I hope the online mode is silky smooth. Definitely a #1 game on my wait list :)

pakkit

Banned
Most anticipated game of 2009 for me.
emot-fuckyou.gif

d+pad

Looks great. Day 1 for me.

I'm going to be pissed, though, if Steffi Graf isn't included. The only modern player to actually complete a calendar-year grand slam has to be in there!

BikoBiko

Alcibiades said:
What's the main differences between this and Virtua Tennis (which I believe will also have Motion+ support this May)?
We haven't heard or seen a thing from the Wii version save for some screenshots, while there's already lots of info available about Grand Slam, so that's the main difference for now.

Cipherr

MiniDitka said:

I dont like the animation. Not during the little auto animated stuff after a score, but during the actual play. The players look stiff to me and they seem to just pop into those prebaked animations. Doesnt look fluid at all to me. That and the clothing looks like just a single colored texture (look at the dress the girl is wearing, Purple then white in the next sequence) Seems like they could have done a little more that a flat color with a nike symbol on it.

Probably the style they were going for though. Gameplay looks fun though besides that.

Not too impressed by those clips. Looks very slow, Pete Sampras and Any Roddick apparently can't crack 100mph with their serves in this, and the majority of the groundstrokes look like two clay courters from the wood racquet days lobbing softballs back and forth. The computer controlled movement also made some very odd choices with player positioning during the rally's, leaving whole acres of open court for the opponent to hit to.

legend166

Alcibiades said:
What's the main differences between this and Virtua Tennis (which I believe will also have Motion+ support this May)?

One is exclusively made for the Wii, whilst the other seems like an afterthough. Plus, trust Sega's internal dev teams at your peril.

bdouble

JasonUresti said:
Not too impressed by those clips. Looks very slow, Pete Sampras and Any Roddick apparently can't crack 100mph with their serves in this, and the majority of the groundstrokes look like two clay courters from the wood racquet days lobbing softballs back and forth. The computer controlled movement also made some very odd choices with player positioning during the rally's, leaving whole acres of open court for the opponent to hit to.

Difficulty levels and as for the speed maybe the player just wasn't hitting it that hard.

Footage looked really crisp - definitely looking forward to it :D .

legend166 said:
One is exclusively made for the Wii, whilst the other seems like an afterthough. Plus, trust Sega's internal dev teams at your peril.
Not exclusive though. Plus Virtua Tennis will probably be made predominantly by Sumo again.

legend166

Phife Dawg said:
Footage looked really crisp - definitely looking forward to it :D .

Not exclusive though. Plus Virtua Tennis will probably be made predominantly by Sumo again.

Guess I'm dumb then.

When did this get announced for other consoles?

Kenka

Looks fantastic graphically and style-wise but the lack of camera movements and commentaries makes the whole stuff boring. Will you spend one hour with an almost fixed view centered on the court and poor audio environnement ? Well.... let's see what's coming ahead.

plank

Kenka said:
Looks fantastic graphically and style-wise but the lack of camera movements and commentaries makes the whole stuff boring. Will you spend one hour with an almost fixed view centered on the court and poor audio environnement ? Well.... let's see what's coming ahead.
M+ would probably negate that.

1-D_FTW

JasonUresti said:

This is probably my most anticipated game of the year, but that video definitely worries me. Just look at Williams'. The opponents were hitting meatballs and she's cracking unreturnable line drives. Now I realize she hits harder in real life, but this is a video game and there needs to be some balance. Especially since a lot of Williams' issues (unforced errors) won't be detriments in a video game world. Is there gonna be any incentive to play anyone who's not the hardest hitter? It's not like the differences are subtle. They're huge.

legend166

Phife Dawg said:
It was planned as multiplat from the start iirc. The other versions will be released later though.

Ah well, my point still stands. GST is primarily for Wii, whilst the Wii version of VT seems like an afterthought, so if you're a Wii owner you'd think the choice is pretty clear.

gamingeek

legend166 said:
Ah well, my point still stands. GST is primarily for Wii, whilst the Wii version of VT seems like an afterthought, so if you're a Wii owner you'd think the choice is pretty clear.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/969/969451p2.html

However, for all the splendour of the high definition versions, it's the Wii iteration that SEGA's most proud of – and it's easy to see why. Every one of the features listed in this preview is present and correct in the Wii version (okay, bar the 1080p bit – Wii owners will have to make do with 480p), and Virtua Tennis's debut on Nintendo's console is looking quite spectacular.

A new camera angle brings the view in low and close.
Forgoing the temptation to add bobble-heads to the player roster, Virtua Tennis 2009 is instead a remarkably faithful port of the game, with the all-important Wii carefully implemented. Wii Tennis is an obvious reference point for the mechanics of the game - hit early and the ball will veer to the left, hit late and it will swing right – but Virtua Tennis 2009 takes the formula one step further by adding some helpful visual feedback, giving players an onscreen bar that reflects their timing. It's a simple solution, but one that works exceptionally well.

SEGA won't confirm or deny whether the game will support Wii Motion Plus, but if Sumo does manage to feature the eagerly awaited add-on Virtua Tennis 2009 would get the jump on EA's Grand Slam Tennis by a whole month - providing Nintendo release the peripheral in time for the game's May release. Either way, and on whichever console, Virtua Tennis 2009 could well be one of the highlights of the gaming summer.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
gamingeek said:

Wow, what a comeback from Virtua Tennis then.
I was sure to get Grand Slam but now I'll wait for impressions when both games are out, even if atm I'm leaning over GST if only because It oozes with style and because we already know M+ it's there and it's awesome.

(Singleton, producer of the game, went as far as saying that "the new iteration of M+ makes the jump from standard Wii Remote to Motion+ feel like the one from VHS to BlueRay"... Holy Crap, hyperbole much?

legend166 said:
How would you know that? In the recent IGN preview they said the Wii version contains everything the other versions do (minus graphical fidelity of course). Other than that I haven't read anything substantial about the Wii version anywhere.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
:eek:

With the oversized ball and slightly disproportionate characters, I'm getting a distinct Centre Court Tennis vibe.

Looks like a real winner as of now.

How I feel as well. Looking forward to it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Does this game use the nunchuk for character control? If so then I'm very skeptical about its usage of Wii Motion Plus. That device is 1:1 if you use only the remote, but its functionality is crippled when a 'chuck is attached to it (which is why EA was saving its own ass when saying how M+ is too sensitive and had to be "scaled back") I guess well see though.

Also the art style is a shame. You can tell the Art Director wanted to get somewhere special and it was probably scaled back due to marketing and Executive Producers, ending in a semi realistic but semi cartoony mess.

Puncture said:
I dont like the animation. Not during the little auto animated stuff after a score, but during the actual play. The players look stiff to me and they seem to just pop into those prebaked animations. Doesnt look fluid at all to me. That and the clothing looks like just a single colored texture (look at the dress the girl is wearing, Purple then white in the next sequence) Seems like they could have done a little more that a flat color with a nike symbol on it.

Probably the style they were going for though. Gameplay looks fun though besides that.
That's the vibe I got from the video too. There's still a few months of dev time left so maybe they'll at least iron the animation issues out.

felipeko

Raging Spaniard said:
Does this game use the nunchuk for character control? If so then I'm very skeptical about its usage of Wii Motion Plus. That device is 1:1 if you use only the remote, but its functionality is crippled when a 'chuck is attached to it (which is why EA was saving its own ass when saying how M+ is too sensitive and had to be "scaled back") I guess well see though.
Source?

Mrbob

Raging Spaniard said:

Wat....wow. That sucks if true.

volmer

Raging Spaniard said:
See http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote#Data_Reporting mode 0x37 -- I suppose you would be right IF the acceleration data from the nunchuk is used, and only in the case where both IR and acceleration data is activated from the Wii Remote. Then again, Nintendo *may* have had the sense to have the M+ simply overwrite the 3 bytes of nunchuk acceleration data with its angular rate in the case of reporting mode 0x37...

Dash Kappei

Raging Spaniard said:

Also the art style is a shame. You can tell the Art Director wanted to get somewhere special and it was probably scaled back due to marketing and Executive Producers, ending in a semi realistic but semi cartoony mess.

Nope, first we don't know it that's still true with the upgraded M+ (unless you've got source that refers to it, and in thaty case we'd be glad to know!), second and most important that is (was?) true ONLY when you're using also nunchuck's accelerometers, which wouldn't be the case for GST and all the game using the nuch's analog stick to move character/camera and such.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
JasonUresti said:

Maybe... it tracks how fast you swing the remote. :eek: That would be cool.

Fuckin' Nintendo, releasing Wii Motion Plus in July. I'm going to have to play this fucker gimped for a month? FUCCCKKKK.

You should change the title of this thread to: EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (or how Buckethead's going to lose his job).

Dash Kappei

Buckethead said:
Fuckin' Nintendo, releasing Wii Motion Plus in July. I'm going to have to play this fucker gimped for a month?.

How so?
Game has been postponed to July as well for a while now.

Dash Kappei said:
How so?
Game has been postponed to July as well for a while now.

No it comes out late June. The 17th I think.
But they decided to release the Motion+ early, so everything is all good. :D

markatisu

ksamedi said:
The lag was pretty bad. I wonder if it will be the same in the end product. Wiisports has no lag at all.

There is virtually no lag in the G4 hands-on they did last month. I would guess any lag in this is intentional

Top Bottom