• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

Model 500

Eurogamer said:
It doesn't help a great deal, either, that the player you create is a bit of a chump at the start. Beginning with a zero-star rating, the only way to improve is to beat opponents - either in one-off matches or through tournaments. Winning points and games (even when you lose the match) will eventually contribute to your star rating, but the problem is just that - winning games is disproportionately and unfathomably tough.

As something of a tennis gaming veteran, I kicked off on the game's medium level to see how I got on, but was forced to drop it down simply to see if I'd fare any better. The difference was minimal, and, again, the problem was nearly always down to actual shot-placement rather than fierce AI. In the heat of a lengthy rally, you might be doing fine, but one misread shot and you're another point down. If that happens a couple of times in a game, you're not only left frustrated, but probably defeated. The AI hardly ever makes mistakes. Being able to unlock special moves, such as Serena Williams' serve, by beating them in one-off matches is largely inconsequential when the outcome of so many matches is apparently random.

I'm hoping for a user error here. If the controls work as well as I expect them to, the bolded parts would be the essential part of the whole idea / fun. I've heard so much good about the controls from Finnish gaming press to IGN that I'd be very surprised if they are so totally broken that it's not even possible to aim your shots properly.

Time will tell, keep the impressions coming guys.

EDIT: I just went to IGN and looked at their hands-on:

Once you plug in the Wii MotionPlus dongle, the title auto-recognizes it and takes advantage of its added precision. Simple, no fuss. And all of a sudden you play Grand Slam Tennis very differently. Rallies become much less about timing and much more about the motion and positioning of your swing. The experience considerably more natural and intuitive than any tennis videogame I have ever played, Wii Sports included. And you'll notice this added control fidelity the moment you start playing. If you bend down with the controller in hand, your athletic superstar will do the same, positioning his racket in a lower formation. If you raise the controller above your head, so will he. If you hold it at mid-level, he will too. And you can play the match in these formations.

Forehands and backhands are legitimately read and translated, occasionally at your expense. If you anticipate shots and prepare a forehand or backhand correctly, you'll be golden, and your rallies will be intense and long. But if you misread a shot, go for a forehand and then correct to a backhand, your character will try to do the same, which takes a second, and you might actually flub the shot because of it. You don't have to do that, though, because you can play the way you want to. If you find, for example, that you just don't like your backhands, you can attack left-corner court returns with forehand swings. You simply position the Wii remote sideways as though you want to hit a forehand return and your character will go into the position and strafe over so that you can hit the ball. Works flawlessly and feels very dynamic.

Without Wii MotionPlus, rallies are all about timing. Based on when you swing, the ball will fly off in a certain direction -- very similar to Wii Sports Tennis. With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works. But less emphasis is placed on your timing. As your waiting for a serve or for a return, you twist the Wii remote about and your on-screen character will do the same. And when you finally hit it back, you'll need to consider whether to hit forehand or backhand, speed, and the positioning of the Wii remote at the end of your motion and arch. In my play test, every ball I returned shot exactly where I wanted it to go. Even better, if I cut my followthrough midway on a return, the ball would curve inward toward the middle court instead of outward toward a corner, which is amazing.
Something strange is going on again....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Considering that none of the complaints apply to tennis in Wii sports, EA would have to have done something very wrong (not completely unimaginable) to get worse detection with the addition of MP.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Besides, IGN is always enthusiastic in prevews and hands-on features, no matter what. Can't be trusted.

I don't feel GST though, from what we've seen and read.

markatisu

poppabk said:
Considering that none of the complaints apply to tennis in Wii sports, EA would have to have done something very wrong (not completely unimaginable) to get worse detection with the addition of MP.

Not really, if the person sucks that much ass at Tennis and using M+ they are turning their wrists the ball will go out of bounds or not where the person wanted it to.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hmm...in this instance, I'm inclined to believe the person that can do what they want instead of the person who has a lot of difficulty. It suggests that the controls work, and it's user error that led to frustration.

markatisu

BorkBork said:
Hmm...in this instance, I'm inclined to believe the person that can do what they want instead of the person who has a lot of difficulty. It suggests that the controls work, and it's user error that led to frustration.

Well ******* even makes mention of that in their March impressions

http://www.joy stiq.com/2009/03/13/*******-hands-on-ea-sports-grand-slam-tennis/

They missed the ball a lot playing with M+

EA is heavily touting the added realism introduced by MotionPlus; we mostly found that we tended to miss the ball a lot. Putting top spin on when we did hit it was true-to-life, but, then again, so seemed the challenge level as a whole.

The demo was brief, and it's entirely likely that, given more time with it, the MotionPlus controls might have grown on us

This most likely will be a game that is hated by a lot of people

BorkBork

I guess if the player sucks, they can just rip off Motionplus and play it like Wii Sports.

MiniDitka

I have this pre-ordered and will probably be picking this up along with Tiger tomorrow. If I do get it I'll post some vids and impressions. LOL, as I'm typing Ashley just called to let me know it will be in tomorrow :lol

Zave

I've played Grand Slam Tennis for an entire week and is truly a different tennis video game. Yep, it's a hard one, it tends to punish every little gamer's mistake (talkin' about movement and timing here). But, in the same way, it really becomes something absolutely unique when you start to fully understand how every shot sould be made. It's a tennis simulation: it requires a lot of cold blood and reactivity, along with a great amount of zen-like patience. :)

plank

Zave said:
I've played Grand Slam Tennis for an entire week and is truly a different tennis video game. Yep, it's a hard one, it tends to punish every little gamer's mistake (talkin' about movement and timing here). But, in the same way, it really becomes something absolutely unique when you start to fully understand how every shot sould be made. It's a tennis simulation: it requires a lot of cold blood and reactivity, along with a great amount of zen-like patience. :)

How did you get access to the game early?

BorkBork

Zave said:

That is actually what I want to hear. A tennis sim.

Kevtones

As a former circuit tennis player I might have to give this a go and see how it feels. I'm inclined to say it will probably rock.

Model 500

bjscott05 said:
Nice score by IGN.

I think it is moronic this game is not bundled with M+

It is here in EU, finally something good for us :)

Bozon IGN said:
Yeah there's a bit of a learning curve – honestly, about time on Wii – but when the reward for shot practice is a game so fun that you're going back just to knock a few balls around in quick play over and over that's something I can get behind. Once mastered you'll be able to put the ball wherever you want on the court, and doing that with real motion control is very, very rewarding.

And from what I've played of online mode thus far (local matches and online against a couple USA players) Grand Slam Tennis is a great Wi-Fi Wii game. Once connected I didn't notice a single frame drop or moment of slowdown, and everything worked as if connected locally.

Good stuff...

markatisu

The online sounds solid according to IGN
And from what I've played of online mode thus far (local matches and online against a couple USA players) Grand Slam Tennis is a great Wi-Fi Wii game. Once connected I didn't notice a single frame drop or moment of slowdown, and everything worked as if connected locally. This may change when going across the globe – part of Grand Slam's main online mode is based on country vs. country play, so each time you win against someone else you actually earn points for your nation as well as yourself – but during USA play it was a blast. You've got leaderboards for nations, a top 100 players list for single and doubles play, and a full-on My Stats page that shows wins, losses, total rank, and current EA Online level for your account. The standard message system is back as well, so you can use your EA Nation login info and not have to deal with friend codes. It looks and feels identical to Tiger or Madden's online infrastructure, but works great.

Cannot wait!

Shnookums

I don't mind difficult as long as it is possible to master the control. In fact I'd prefer it that way since I tend to pour a ton of time into tennis games.

I guess I'll start finding out tomorrow.

plank

If there is a bit of a learning curve reviews and impressions might be all over the place. People might head into this game thinking its as intuitive as Wii tennis.

2zhi8as.jpg

Nice.

I'm kinda mixed on this one vs Virtua Tennis. In GST you have to hold either A or B to do lob or drop shots whereas in VT its all dependant on your swing. I know I had longer rallies when playing vs another person vs AI in VT.

plank said:
If there is a bit of a learning curve reviews and impressions might be all over the place. People might head into this game thinking its as intuitive as Wii tennis.
That's how most people will initially jump into it, regardless of their knowledge that it uses M+. I was the same way when I first tried it @ E3, thinking more about timing than the actual motion. But after a couple playthroughs, it started to click much more. After a little patience, I was able to pull off kick serves consistently as I focused more on the motion of my wrist, followthrough, etc. It was awesome. I have yet to try it with a nunchuck, but I'm sure it'll be easy.

HoTHiTTeR

Thanks to that ridiculous deal from Bestbuy involving the 1/2 price cards, I was able to pickup tiger 10 w/ M+ and Grand Slam Tennis. They overnighted on Friday, and they're sitting at home on my door step right now :D Can't wait to play tonight.

BorkBork

Seems to me EA went pretty much all out on this despite a few kinks in the controls. I'll bite, but no M+ bundle is retarded.

legend166

I can see this disparity of reviews continuing with a lot of MotionPlus games, simply because it does come down to real life skill. As a casual tennis player, hopefully I'll be able to pick it up quicker than someone who doesn't play tennis at all outside of video games.

This is where I wish we could get video reviews of people actually playing the game, to see how they swing and such. It would be interesting to see what the Eurogamer guy does. For all we know, he could be a complete unco. Which wouldn't be out of the question, we are in the realm of nerdom here.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Some of those video previews of the game were spazz city with the swings. That's why I haven't been too caught up in the scores, because you just don't know what the real problem is until people begin posting impressions.

The scores had me worried, but after reading some of the reviews it's becoming clear what this is... a tennis simulation with accurate motion controls. And it's online? Sold.

gamesradar review

gamesradar said:
+ Brilliant with MotionPlus
+ Something to offer all standards of player
+ Looks and sounds great

- Commentary gets repetitive
- Not so brilliant without MotionPlus
- Miserly character creation
9/10

for comparison, same reviewer gave NPC Mario tennis/Sega superstars tennis a 7 and top spin 3 a 6.

pakkit

Banned
Dammit, I heard the negative impressions and begrudgingly crossed this one off my list. Now I don't whether I'm right to get Tiger instead or if I should pick this up.

Eurogamer, while pretty funny at times, do provide some ridiculous reviews/scores at times.

Case in point:

Eurogamer said:
Presumably, when they decided to create a Wii version of Resident Evil 4, Capcom envisaged an even more inclusive version of the best ever action game. What they got is a game that now looks dated, and plays exactly the same but with worse controls. Not exactly a new dawn.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How does this compare to Davis Cup Tennis for TG-16?

pce_davis_cup_tennis.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My copy and MotionPlus arrived today, not a review copy either. Go buy now!

29268ma.jpg

markatisu

legend166 said:
This is where I wish we could get video reviews of people actually playing the game, to see how they swing and such. It would be interesting to see what the Eurogamer guy does. For all we know, he could be a complete unco. Which wouldn't be out of the question, we are in the realm of nerdom here.

But the Eurogamer reviewer was a tennis video game veteran, that line right there told me the game schooled him and he was bitter :lol

I am even more interested now in GST since I played tennis all throughout high school competitively, so I want to see how good or bad I am now

Dammit, I heard the negative impressions and begrudgingly crossed this one off my list. Now I don't whether I'm right to get Tiger instead or if I should pick this up.

Are you somewhat decent at tennis? If not then stick with Tiger Woods. From everything I have gathered in impressions/reviews so far is that if you are a waggle machine you will absolutely blow at GST

Top Bottom