• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA teases new BioWare project [It's Mass Effect 3]

Solo

subversus said:
Mass Effect is a universe like Star Wars, they can make any game they want. It's like saying that making Tie Fighter somehow affects KOTOR role-playing systems.

It dilutes the brand when you start down this path, as evidenced by tons of franchises over the years.

Empty

GlamFM said:
Relax!

2 different teams are working on 2 different games within the Mass Effect universe.

How does this affect your optimism towards ME3?

If ( IF! ) this means anything than propably that Mass 3 will be more of an RPG since the new game seems ( SEEMS! ) to be more action focused.

But we don´t know anything yet.

I agree, but i'd start worrying if Mass Effect Dudebro outsells Mass Effect 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
WrikaWrek said:
What the hell is wrong with Bioware lately?

Dragon Age 2, now this.
Did you really want former Raven staff designing Mass Effect 3, or would you prefer them to be making a Mass Effect multiplayer focused shooter?

Solo said:
Make as many games in as many genres as you like. Just dont slap Mass Effect onto them.

Have you seen how badly new IP has done this year? I dont think a potential ME fps would in any way ruin Mass Effect 2, BioWare know what they are doing.

DaBuddaDa

Solo said:
It dilutes the brand when you start down this path, as evidenced by tons of franchises over the years.
It only dilutes the brand if the games are bad. If they're good, nobody gives a flying fuck about exploitation.

Everyone needs to stop talking about this imaginary dudebro online shooter product. We have zero fucking clue what this is going to be like.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Solo said:

yeah, like Star Wars for example :lol

or even Warcraft.

Jex

Solo said:
Pretty much. Between the direction ME2 took and this news, its like Bioware couldn't be drifting further from my tastes as a gamer.

Mass Effect: Black Ops? Motherfucking PASS.

Mass Effect 3 is likely to be the last title Im interested in from Bioware in the foreseeable future.
Yeah but maybe if they get all their shooting into a spin-off game they can put the RPG back into ME?

Or not, considering their desire to appeal to the widest possible audience, I suppose.

Solo

subversus said:
are Tie Fighter, KOTOR, Battlefront the bad games? Or you just haven't played them? :lol

Are there good Star Wars games? Yes. But they are outweighed by the metric shitton of crappy Star Wars games. The brand is diluted. The name no longer (although it hasn't since 1983, lolz) carries the weight/promise of a product guaranteed to be solid.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Solo said:
Are there good Star Wars games? Yes. But they are outweighed by the metric shitton of crappy Star Wars games. The brand is diluted. The name no longer (although it hasn't since 1983, lolz) carries the weight/promise of a product guaranteed to be solid.

Well, I agree with you but that doesn't mean that there won't be any decent games at all and that's enough for me. Still my point was that making an online-shooter in ME universe won't affect ME3 and while it might dilute the brand by being crappy I don't give a damn since I don't own the brand.

GlamFM

Banned
Empty said:
I agree, but i'd start worrying if Mass Effect Dudebro outsells Mass Effect 2.

I think this could only be good for Bioware. I´m always under the impression that the Mass Effect games didn´t sell as well as they should have.

The Budgets on these games must be crazy.

This could actually help making the big budget RPGs that we love.

I know I´m very optimistic - but Bioware deserves my positive thinking :)

Wallach said:
That's fan art. Tame fan art for that particular character, I might add.

Tame as in good, becuase thats the best Tali fan art out there. Its similar to the one in the concept art, and to the descripitions in the books. Im also impressed that its not a photoshop of a real face, the face its actually a 3D model, theres a work in progress of that image.

But yeah, is tame considered all the strange sex Tali pics in the internet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
squicken said:
However creepy Tali fans may be, and they are indeed creepy, the fangirls lusting for Garrus put them to shame.
I think girls and Bioware games in general is a pretty fascinating phenomenon.

My girlfriend has 12 Mass Effect 1/2 playthroughs.

One where she doesn't romance anyone.
- Leading to one Garrus romance playthrough.
- One romanceless playthrough.
One where she romances Liara.
- Leading to a Shadow Broker romance redeemed playthrough.
One where she romances Kaiden and sacrifices him.
- Leading to a no romance playthough.
- Leading to a Garrus playthrough.
One where she romances Kaiden and saves him.
- Leading to a Kaiden playthrough.

I don't even want to go into the race/origin/romance combinations she did in Dragon Age.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I love the panicking. It sustains me, like some sort of evil caffeine.

Lyphen said:
I don't even want to go into the race/origin/romance combinations she did in Dragon Age.
Lady Aeducan x Alistair forevah!

Lakitu

st5fu
Jexhius said:
Yeah but maybe if they get all their shooting into a spin-off game they can put the RPG back into ME?

Or not, considering their desire to appeal to the widest possible audience, I suppose.

This is what I'm thinking. This can only be a good thing, I reckon.

Soooo.....

There was this multiplayer game that I played that got the whole weapons/tech/magic(biotics) thing perfectly balanced and also had 4 distinct classes(races) that were properly balanced.

Just so happens those dudes were laid off. Come to think of it the universe was based on a RPG...........

scarybore

Lyphen said:

I'm not a girl but I do this as well. :lol I have 9 finished Mass Effect saves from 3 different Shepards (a paragon, a neutral and a renegade) so I could have all possible romance and ending options available to me in ME2.

I'm slowly working my way through doing the same in ME2, but I really do wish I had done this on the PC instead as the amount of loading screens you go through on the xbox version of ME2 are soul crushing.

LCfiner

well, since it looks like a new dev studio is working on this, leaving Bioware Edmonton free to focus on ME3, I'm actually OK with this.

I think it's too early to talk about brand dilution just yet. we can revisit that topic when Hanar Kart Racerz gets announced

Raide

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm picturing a Gears of War cover shooter + Team Fortress class system + COD style unlocks set in the ME universe.

Could be awesome.

This is the kind of game I could get behind.

Hopefully it has planet mining too...:lol

Lakitu said:
They're being made by two different groups of people. If anything, they'll take things from both games and bring them closer so people who buy one are more likely to feel comfortable buying the other.

LCfiner

Raide said:
This is the kind of game I could get behind.

Hopefully it has planet mining too...:lol

I could see Bioware making an iPhone/ ipad game that is nothing but multitouch planet mining. :lol

Fredescu

LCfiner said:
I could see Bioware making an iPhone/ ipad game that is nothing but multitouch planet mining. :lol
uuBZe.jpg

Lothars

Lakitu said:

I agree with both of you, I have faith in Bioware that they will come through with a great product, They have released some of my favorite games of the generation, so I have alot of faith.

Lakitu

st5fu
universalmind said:
They're being made by two different groups of people. If anything, they'll take things from both games and bring them closer so people who buy one are more likely to feel comfortable buying the other.

We'll see but I'd rather they focus on improving and adding RPG features for ME 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The problem with Star Wars is that it's a non-gaming franchise that has been whored, poorly, into every medium known to man. There's no umbrella focus on quality, and products are built to sell for no other reason than 'Star Wars'. There are obvious exceptions, like Tie Fighter and KOTOR, but for most part Star Wars is a brand name and not much more.

Mass Effect isn't anywhere near popular enough to crash like Star Wars. There are only three games, the books are cheesey but enjoyable, and the comics are not too offensive. Even at its lows everything in the series contributes quite well to lore and/or character development.

You cant just create 'Mass Effect (game)' and expect it to be a big hit. Not yet. Plus, regardless of how people feel about the decisions they make, BioWare do put a lot of work into their major games. If this is a multiplayer Mass Effect shooter the only way it will sell is if its quality, and if its to be the debut game from their Montreal studio they'll throw huge resources behind it.

Plus, Manveer Heir is from Raven, and Raven are fucking tight with shooters. Having Raven talent on the team, especially one keen on Mass Effect, is a good omen.

Kyoufu

Last week, Drew Karpshyn said in an email that his next project will have an announcement soon. Is he writing the spin-off or was he just referring to ME3?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kyoufu said:
Last week, Drew Karpshyn said in an email that his next project will have an announcement soon. Is he writing the spin-off or was he just referring to ME3?
While Edmonton, Montreal, and Austin all technically handle different projects, it's very common for them to work on each other's games, so I imagine he's helping to write the single player campaign for this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nirolak said:
While Edmonton, Montreal, and Austin all technically handle different projects, it's very common for them to work on each other's games, so I imagine he's helping to write the single player campaign for this.

Yeah, and I'm guessing Karpshyn would play some role in the writing of every major Mass Effect game. He wasn't the lead on 2, but he still worked on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sir Fragula said:
Oh good, a game focusing on the rubbishest aspect of that franchise.
How many TPS, release this gen, have better shooting mechanics than ME2?

VaLiancY

Isn't there a comic coming out in the near future about the Illusive Man and The First Contact War. It could be a cool tie in but if memory serves me good, the war lasted for about a day or two.

EatChildren

VaLiancY said:
Isn't there a comic coming out in the near future about the Illusive Man and The First Contact War. It could be a cool tie in but if memory serves me good, the war lasted for about a day or two.

Yep, Mass Effect: Evolution. First issue comes out in January.

Arjen

Kyoufu said:

Maybe a new book? I could definitly see a new book coming leading up to ME3, maybe revealling a new location or something that will play a big part in ME3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lyphen said:

Clearly they should be making visual novels/dating sims.

K.Jack said:

The shooting could be the best thing ever if the maps weren't so boringly designed.

scarybore

Arjen said:
Maybe a new book? I could definitly see a new book coming leading up to ME3, maybe revealling a new location or something that will play a big part in ME3

There's a new book by William C. Dietz being released on September 27, 2011. The only book I've read of his was the rather woeful Halo: The Flood so who knows how that will turn out.

Zen

Banned
K.Jack said:

Pretty much every TPS on the market aside from no name shovelware. If it was just a TPS it would have been slammed hard.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
subversus said:
Mass Effect is a universe like Star Wars, they can make any game they want. It's like saying that making Tie Fighter somehow affects KOTOR role-playing systems.

true , Bioware made very big and rich universe , actually it will be waste if it just ended with just mainline Mass Effect story ( Shepard's story ) , Wing Commander was like this in the past and EA can even use their other studios and do many thing here like a strategy StarCrafty like game from EA Los Angeles , or a Horror game about some guy went to a Reaper ship or something (Visceral Games ).

Patryn

I approve of this idea. I'm all for a multiplayer Mass Effect shooter. Helps to keep multiplayer out of Mass Effect 3, where it doesn't fit at all.

Frankly, the nature of the universe makes this sort of a game a no-brainer.

Kittonwy

Banned
K.Jack said:

Uncharted 1/2, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous, Gears 1/2, Mafia II, how many more would you like me to list?

I wonder how the game would have been reviewed if it wasn't for the whole "this is a BIOWARE RPG with a dialogue wheel" excuse.

Top Bottom