• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA teases new BioWare project [It's Mass Effect 3]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Radogol said:
The Old Republic has multiple player conversations, I think. How do they work?

I'm honestly asking.

maybe player 2 can occasionally interject with a paragon/renegade response like your squad mates do in the game

it would be very awkward, though, at least in the way I imagine it

Patryn

As long as multiplayer has NO EFFECT on the single player, and is a totally separate thing, I'll be ok with it.

But if it's built in to single player, especially if it's something idiotic like co-op, I will RAGE.

Radogol

Blue Ninja said:
I'm still not sure when it comes to conversations, though. Sounds pretty meh.

It does.

If it's anything like Baldur's Gate, I think there will be support co-op, where one of the player hosts the game, so to speak, and the other is a companion. However, the most likely scenario is that multiplayer will be completely separate from the campaign, with both deathmatch maps and perhaps some co-op missions featuring Army of Two-like choices.

itxaka

Defeatist
Yess! less RPG and more TPS, jujst what I liked from Mass effect series!

I wonder if they will also use buttons that make things go awesome.

Oh Bioware, where are you?

Lakitu

st5fu
Mass Effect 2, however much I love it, was already enough TPS for me. The only way they can make it more of a TPS for me is if they shorten the main quest considerably, remove dialogue options, remove the Normandy and hub worlds, remove side-missions and make it a series of 'chapters' set on different planets. But Bioware wouldn't do that.

ThatGuy

Guys calm down. Mass Effect 3 single player is probably handeled by Bioware
Edmonton(same as Mass Effect 1 & 2) and Bioware Montreal will work on the
multiplayer part of the game. So they are two different teams which
shouldn't effect the single player part of the game too much if at all.

ThatGuy said:
Still, I can't imagine how many discs we're gonna need this time.

Lakitu

st5fu
ThatGuy said:

Yeah, I guess so. Just hope they don't dumb down the main game even further. I wasn't happy with it in ME 2, but it wasn't too bad, if it got even more streamlined, I'd be upset.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, basically the idea that they're going to have to find some way to make the mechanics somewhat seamless between how things work in the single player and multi player experiences worries me, because that means that things would probably have to be even less RPG-ish than they were already in ME2.

Bioware already said that they're going to be putting more RPG elements into ME3 when compared to ME2, but that could mean anything (like more outfits with 'stat bonuses that basically do nothing).

Blue Ninja said:
Still, I can't imagine how many discs we're gonna need this time.

Cerebus Network card will include download code for the multiplayer. The two discs will contain the single player portion.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
If Ubi can make Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a contender for my multiplayer GOTY I can only assume that someone like Bioware can be that fucking smart when including multiplayer in an "RPG-lite" game.

I AM NOT WORRIED. FOR REALS.

Yoshiya

McBradders said:
If Ubi can make Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a contender for my multiplayer GOTY I can only assume that someone like Bioware can be that fucking smart when including multiplayer in an "RPG-lite" game.

I AM NOT WORRIED. FOR REALS.
The difference is that the unique gameplay elements of AC forced them to be inventive with their multiplayer, and it paid off. ME2 is a third person shooter. The RPG elements are not going to appear in any competitive multiplayer implementation, so you're going to get pretty stock-standard TPS multiplayer, I'd imagine.

Unless, of course, this is just co-op, which signs suggest it isn't (you wouldn't develop co-op at a separate studio). That would be a nightmare to implement as well, and would ruin all the continuity between the games. I hope Bioware proves me wrong, but DA2 isn't exactly the healthiest of signs.

McBradders

Yoshiya said:
The difference is that the unique gameplay elements of AC forced them to be inventive with their multiplayer, and it paid off. ME2 is a third person shooter. The RPG elements are not going to appear in any competitive multiplayer implementation, so you're going to get pretty stock-standard TPS multiplayer, I'd imagine.

Unless, of course, this is just co-op, which signs suggest it isn't (you wouldn't develop co-op at a separate studio). That would be a nightmare to implement as well, and would ruin all the continuity between the games. I hope Bioware proves me wrong, but DA2 isn't exactly the healthiest of signs.

If, fiction-wise, they set it outside of the core ME story that will make it fine and dandy enough. Add persistance to that and it will be, at the very worst, acceptable and wholly ignorable.

Just gimme the third game already. I AM READY.

Yoshiya

McBradders said:
If, fiction-wise, they set it outside of the core ME story that will make it fine and dandy enough. Add persistance to that and it will be, at the very worst, acceptable and wholly ignorable.
True on the ignorable part. In terms of keeping an RPG connection in MP though, to avoid imbalance persistence can only be in level-and-perk COD form. I just can't believe the biggest dev remaining in Western RPGs is about to announce COD + Gears. I find that incredibly depressing.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yoshiya said:
True on the ignorable part. In terms of keeping an RPG connection in MP though, to avoid imbalance persistence can only be in level-and-perk COD form. I just can't believe the biggest dev remaining in Western RPGs is about to announce COD + Gears. I find that incredibly depressing.

I think ME 2 is great, while it's dumbed down and almost a separate experience from the original, I still think it's great. One of my highest replayed games, as far as dumbing down goes, it's tolerable. It's up there as my GOTY along with RDR and Fallout: NV.

McBradders

Yoshiya said:

Way to be a debbie downer :(

What if it's L4D style though?

Yoshiya

Lakitu said:
I think ME 2 is great, while it's dumbed down and almost a separate experience from the original, I still think it's great. One of my highest replayed games, as far as dumbing down goes, it's tolerable. It's up there as my GOTY along with RDR and Fallout: NV.
I'm not attacking ME2 here, as I thought ME1's combat was pretty bad as well, but the inclusion of competitive multiplayer requires them to strip every last remaining RPG aspect out of the game. The player-driven story and levelling/skill allocation are really all that tie the second game to the genre. Without that, I don't see how ME3 MP can be anything but standard TPS fare. Again, I am no game designer, and I hope Bioware can prove me wrong. Competitive diplomacy, perhaps?

Lakitu

st5fu
Yoshiya said:
I'm not attacking ME2 here, as I thought ME1's combat was pretty bad as well, but the inclusion of competitive multiplayer requires them to strip every last remaining RPG aspect out of the game. The player-driven story and levelling/skill allocation are really all that tie the second game to the genre. Without that, I don't see how ME3 MP can be anything but standard TPS fare. Again, I am no game designer, and I hope Bioware can prove me wrong. Competitive diplomacy, perhaps?

Oh, I totally agree with you. I hate the fact that multi-player is coming into the series. Who'd of thought we'd go from a thorough RPG experience in the original Mass Effect to a possible ME 3 featuring Multi? I guess it's the times now.

For the record, I definitely don't consider it an RPG, but I don't consider it a true TPS either. Best I can boil it down to is action-adventure.

MannahContana

Neo Member
Blue Ninja said:
Man, with ME3 out of the bag, it'd be one heck of a curveball if they did announce a multiplayer game tomorrow. :p

That would be so awesome, the ultimate troll, the reactions alone would be priceless. Yes I enjoy in schadenfreude on these frivolous topics. :D

Top Bottom