• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA teases new BioWare project [It's Mass Effect 3]

raphier

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Mass Effect 2 has a good story.
What is wrong with it?
the ending sucked...kinda. The main plot didn't do almost any progress. It suffered from typical "second movie of a trilogy" phenomenom.

As for my personal dislikes, I really disliked the fact there was a human reaper under construction. It was unnecessary for me. Also I felt the "suicide mission" was pointless.

Although, I love ME2 for what it is - Character driven story. Should've be a spinoff imo, but still.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
miladesn said:
or that they are saying it's not Mass Effect 3.

That too is possible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its worth noting that the website featuring the image, Hypermania, uses the British pound as its currency when buying images.

EDIT: Can we not turn this into another story debate?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Patryn said:
Mass Effect 2's story problems were that was it was akin to a bunch of DLC content strung together loosely.

This is demonstrated perfectly through Kasumi and Zaeed.

aaaand there's nothing wrong with that. It's like tv episodes.

edit: OK WE WON'T DO IT

miladesn said:

i think its this. something tells me its not mass effect 3 (not saying its not in the mass effect universe). what if they shifted gears for second and did prequel, when humans discovered the mass relays. Wasn't there a back story where shephard's homeworld was destroyed through war? what if this is that backstory where you play as one of the major role players of that war.

Think of it like a Mass Effect Origins. just a guess,

DuckRacer

miladesn said:
Or that they are saying it's not Mass Effect: Spinoff. Most people are expecting that, so the red herring pic alleges it's not actually that. (Or maybe all of this was planned months in advance, and they assumed that people would think it's some non-ME FPS. I guess.)

tbh, I don't see how this can be a spin-off unless it's completely multiplayer driven and/or there's only going to be some extremely shallow 5-hour-long campaign. Assuming it releases next fall, this game would have a 2.5 year long dev time, with about 18 months of that having only 27 people working on it and the other year having only 54 (which is still small). Maybe they're only working on a multiplayer component for a full-fledged ME title?

Lunchbox

Banned
all the clues suggest to me, its a class based multiplayer shooter with perks, custom classes, weapon unlocks and prestiging

EatChildren

Lunchbox said:
all the clues suggest to me, its a class based multiplayer shooter with perks, custom classes, weapon unlocks and prestiging

So instead of calling in radar, we'll call in a planet probing mini-game?

Lunchbox

Banned
EatChildren said:
So instead of calling in radar, we'll call in a planet probing mini-game?

five kills gets you this -

works like the nuke in mw2
KiYQb.png

EatChildren

Lunchbox said:
five kills gets you this -

works like the nuke in mw2

I can dig a Blasto killstreak reward.

Mindlog

I'm hoping for Mass Effect: Inventory.

It's just an endless stream of useless crap you reduce to omni-gel. There is no end. It's the Desert Bus of space tchotchke.

If you accidentally reduce Shredder VII you have to start over.

EatChildren

Wiggum2007 said:
If it is a spin-off I hope its a Mass Effect party game.

Only if its for the Wii.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:
Red herring. Not Mass Effect?
Well, we know Kotaku got an e-mail from an address that convinced them it was real.

However, Kotaku is well known for posting any rumors that look official.

Perhaps BioWare used this fact to throw out a red herring rumor that they were making a Mass Effect spinoff in order to get more attention for what's actually a Mass Effect 3 reveal.

EatChildren

Nirolak said:
Well, we know Kotaku got an e-mail from an address that convinced them it was real.

However, Kotaku is well known for posting any rumors that look official.

Perhaps BioWare used this fact to throw out a red herring rumor that they were making a Mass Effect spinoff in order to get more attention for what's actually a Mass Effect 3 reveal.

Maybe, but wasn't somewhere else also reporting that their 'source' told them it was Mass Effect 3?

shinki

Neo Member
A Clash of the Greatest Hits. I'm calling it... the smash bros of shooters featuring characters from MGS, ME, Fallout and more (the Look Closer stuff makes me think those hints are relevant).

Also it involves fish.

EatChildren

Nirolak said:
Yes, but that was a much dodgier rumor site IIRC.

Yeah, I just dont know if a reported rumour on one particular website would be what BioWare means by 'red herring'. Kotaku are immensely popular, but they did report it as a rumour, and people seem pretty divided on what this tease might be.

I'm leaning towards the red herring being one of the previous clues.

EatChildren

It was posted in the VGAs thread, but I figure it should be posted here too. CGV has claimed to have a still from the trailer. Doesn't really show all that much, so here it is.

screenshot_242933vmjf.jpg

The US source that leaked the image to CVG told us: "I won't spoil it for everyone by telling you what the game is. But it's going to have a lot of hardcore BioWare fans jumping out of their seats."

EatChildren

It is certainly the Mass Effect scope, right down to the little notches.

As I said in the other thread, the chick looks like she's wearing one of those high collar cut-off vests you see in a lot of sci-fis, particularly Mass Effect. I know Aria is wearing one on Omega.

With kids shown, could it be something to do with the Ascension Project?

subversus

EatChildren said:
With kids shown, could it be something to do with the Ascension Project?

probably

I hope it's a spin-off RPG but I know it won't happen.

dejan

"I won't spoil it for everyone by telling you what the game is. But it's going to have a lot of hardcore BioWare fans jumping out of their seats."
Is it because they will like what they see or ...?

subversus

dejan said:
Is it because they will like what they see or ...?

Bioware can't do anything bad to make a hardcore Bioware fan jump out of his/her seat. Because for a hardcore Bioware fan they can't go lower than ME2.

dejan

subversus said:
Bioware can't do anything bad to make a hardcore Bioware fan jump out of his/her seat. Because for a hardcore Bioware fan they can't go lower than ME2.
But ... but Mass Effect 2 is BioWare's best game to date.
Boom, that just happened.

EatChildren

Kinda silly at this point considering the game's reveal is only a couple of days away, but here's all we know.

The teaser video + image

1. View here. Does not show anything other than quick cuts of a soldier in armor lifting up a sniper rifle. Brief view of outside his window, nothing specific shown.

2. The rilfe is the Incisor Rifle from Mass Effect 2. Outside of a slight alteration to the front and subdued texture, it is 100% identical right down to the little details. If this does not indicate the project is Mass Effect, it is a reused art asset from Mass Effect. It is, unquestionably, the Incisor Rifle.

3. Soldier's armor does not directly resemble any of the armor from Mass Effect. However, it also appears quite futuristic compared to modern armor, and is a similar 'style' to what might appear in a Mass Effect game.

4. There are quick bright yellow cuts with black silhouettes scattered throughout the video. Most of these are impossible to identify, and so resemblences to Mass Effect material is impossible to verify. There is only one still that can be identified; this shot happens to be this character from Fallout: New Vegas. It is possible then that parts of this teaser were cut with material from other games that intend to be revealled at VGA 2010, in this case the New Vegas DLC pack. For this reason it is important to be skeptical that any of the bright yellow cuts are even related to BioWare specific teaser, or any of the cuts at all for that matter.

5. At the end of the trailer we briefly see the message 'Look Closer'. This would imply that there are details in the video to pay attention to.

6. CVG has posted a new still from the trailer we will see at VGAs. It can be found here. The screen depicts the view of a sniper scope looking at a woman helping a child up, surrounded by rubble. The style of the scope's crosshair is exactly the same as Mass Effect 2's, and the woman's outfit resembles science fiction clothing.

The QR code clues

1. BioWare are releasing QR codes with apparent clues to their next game. These can be found on their Twitter account, Facebook page, advertisements, and elsewhere. This will be updated as new codes and clues arrive.

2. First code is here. It reads as the binary code '001101010011010100101110001110000011010000110101'. This, when converted to ASCII is '55.845'. The meaning for this number is unknwon, however it is likely that it is referencing the atomic weight of an iron atom, which shares the same value.

3. Second code is here. It reads as the binary code '0010110100110001001100100011100000101110001101011011000001000110'. This, when converted to ASCII is '-128.5°F'. This is approximately the coldest temperature recorded naturally on Earth, at Vostok, Antarctica.

4. Third code is here. It reads as the binary code '0110100001110100011101000111000000111010001011110010111101110111011101110111011100101110011100110110100101110011001011100110011101101111011101100010111001110101011010110010111101101111011101010111010001110000011101010111010000101111011100110110100101110011001011010110100001101111011011010110010100101101011101110110010101101100011000110110111101101101011001010010111001101000011101000110110101101100'. This, when converted to ASCII is this URL. The website is for the Secret Intelligence Service of the UK. This is not BioWare's website, so there are unlikely to be many if any clues on the website itself.

5. Fourth QR code was found on BioWare's Facebook page. It can be found here. When decoded, it gives this url. The URL links to an image of a The Clash album, specifically The Singles. There is no additional information.

6. Fifth QR code was found oN BioWare's Facebook page. It can be found here. When decoded, it gives this url. The website displays this image, specifically a red herring.

7. Like any good puzzle, we dont know for sure what all these bits and pieces mean. However, if we are to run with Mass Effect, it is interesting to note that in Mass Effect 2 there appears a planet called Aequitas. The official description of this planet has it's surface temperature as -89.1°C, which is approximately -128.5°F, Additionally, the planet is described as having 'famous Iron Canyons'. This planet, in Mass Effect, is the only obvious referencing of both of the number clues. The third code linking to the SIS website may indcate that the SIS headquarters, or the rough location, appear in the teaser trailer, as the SIS headquaters are here, and the positioning of the bridge and fence look very similar to this shot from the teaser. What The Clash - The Singles means is a little confusing, however The Clash is a British band, which ties in nicely with the previous SIS Headquarters/Vauxhall Bridge clue. Of note, and this may not mean anything, Mass Effect's prominent figure David Anderson was born in London. The most recent QR clue, the 'red herring', would imply that somewhere along the lines we have been given false information. Perhaps this game is not leaning towards Mass Effect at all, or perhaps false information ties into the plot.

BioWare Montreal's history

1. March 2009, BioWare Montreal opens. Employs approximately 30 staff, with the studio set to provide development support for Mass Effect 2 (art assets, side quests, etc).

2. January 2010, BioWare confirm that Mass Effect will not be confined to a single trilogy.

3. June 2010, BioWare Montreal advertises for a multiplayer programmer, with the role to "take existing single player user experiences and make them multiplayer safe".

4. July 2010, ex-Raven (Wolfenstein, Singularity) developer Manveer Heir joins BioWare Montreal as a senior level designer for an unspecified 'Mass Effect' project.

5. September 2010, BioWare Montreal plans to doubles staff from approximately 27 to 55 employees. Yanick Roy reconfirms Mass Effect work by stating “We're also doubling our contribution to whatever happens next in the Mass Effect franchise".

6. September 2010, BioWare Montreal advertise for various positions associated with genres described as 'military-grade FPS' and 'popular FPS'. Listings were switched from a BioWare specific advertising to EA, and so it may not be BioWare specific.

Wiggum2007

jarosh said:
totally looks like a younger version of the doctor. mass effect prequel confirmed.

Agh I hate stupid Doctor Chakwas and her creepy chair swivel, I was so glad I could let her die at the end of ME2.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Wiggum2007 said:
Agh I hate stupid Doctor Chakwas and her creepy chair swivel, I was so glad I could let her die at the end of ME2.

Bitch should have ran faster.

Top Bottom