• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA teases new BioWare project [It's Mass Effect 3]

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The worst part of Chakwas is that when you end a conversation with her, there's this REALLY awkward pause. Every. Single. Time.

chandoog said:
Sweet. Hope the prequel's based on Human-Turrien first contact war.
The First Contact War didn't involve Earth as far as Human vs. Non-Human conflicts go. So, I think it's fair to toss the prequel assumption out. Then again, this could be a retcon, which would disappoint me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kurtofan said:
How do you know it's a prequel?

I don't, but that's what I hope it is. It's a bit soon for the trilogy's finale imo.

edit : ^ well that rules out that -_-

Wiggum2007

wmat said:
The worst part of Chakwas is that when you end a conversation with her, there's this REALLY awkward pause. Every. Single. Time.

And she slowly swivels around in her chair without physically moving any part of her body. It's like a scene straight out of a horror movie.

TheOddOne

Rumor: Mass Effect 3 to be revealed at the VGAs, will include multiplayer
Joystiq has learned from a trusted source that BioWare's enigmatic teaser from last month represents the first glimpse of Mass Effect 3. As many have guessed, the third installment looks to feature something brand new to the series: multiplayer. We're currently unable to confirm that the multiplayer component will be part of the game's unveiling at the upcoming Spike Video Game Awards.

The Spike VGAs will air this Saturday night, preceded by a good deal of internet speculation brought on by the above teaser image. As spotted by one of our commenters, Arth Vader, the gun above looks exactly like the M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle from Mass Effect 2. BioWare has also blasted out curious QR codes via its Twitter feed, all of which indirectly reference things from the Mass Effect universe, including the Vostok system and the surface temperature of the planet Aequitas.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said in the other thread, it's Kotaku's "Mass Effect FPS spin-off" Vs. Joystiq's "Mass Effect 3 with multiplayer".

Either way I'm as happy as a pig in shit. I still think its 'too early' to announce ME3, but who am I to know.

Wallach

EatChildren said:
As I said in the other thread, it's Kotaku's "Mass Effect FPS spin-off" Vs. Joystiq's "Mass Effect 3 with multiplayer".

Either way I'm as happy as a pig in shit. I still think its 'too early' to announce ME3, but who am I to know.

Same here. Whatever it winds up being is pretty much the only reason I'm going to watch this shit.

ezekial45

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If the multiplayer is a set during the contact wars, like it's been hinted at, then it could be cool i guess.

However, i feel that the MP resources would be better spent on the SP. Regards, i'm still looking forward to it.

Mindlog

First Contact War would be a bad setting. It's an exchange of one-sided attacks.
Skyllian Blitz would be much more interesting. We'd get to kill Batarians.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Multiplayer just makes me worried that ME will become even more Gears-like down the line. I'm really tired of lame "chest high crates" level design now. Maybe if they rip off Dark Void and try to make it vertical or something.

Lo-Volt

EatChildren said:

It's not too early, is it? The engine we saw in Mass Effect 2 addressed the big problems 360 players like myself had to tolerate to finish the first game (though Miranda was using a hell of a lot of hair gel for her locks to stay so stiff), and I hope BioWare wants to wrap this up before the end of the generation. Anyway, it's not too early for me, either, so bring it on!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lo-Volt said:
It's not too early, is it? The engine we saw in Mass Effect 2 addressed the big problems 360 players like myself had to tolerate to finish the first game (though Miranda was using a hell of a lot of hair gel for her locks to stay so stiff), and I hope BioWare wants to wrap this up before the end of the generation. Anyway, it's not too early for me, either, so bring it on!

Timing would be about right for ME3 I guess, and they do want to finish of the trilogy this gen. I was more thinking about the PS3 version of ME2. I was banking on BioWare focusing on getting that out before they discussed anything related to the third game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mmmmm....

I hope it's coop, not competitive.

But BG2 had multiplayer. Even Planescape Torment had multiplayer, if I remember right.

EatChildren said:
Timing would be about right for ME3 I guess, and they do want to finish of the trilogy this gen. I was more thinking about the PS3 version of ME2. I was banking on BioWare focusing on getting that out before they discussed anything related to the third game.
Unless they want to include another ME3 teaser with it.

Lo-Volt

EatChildren said:

Well, what better way for PS3 owners to know that it's worth buying Mass Effect 2 than by letting them know that their time investment will pay off at some point soon, right? And announcing it in December, if this rumor pans out, doesn't mean it will be released imminently. Regardless of how quickly this is announced, I thought BioWare was always pretty clear that this was a trilogy, anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:

I'm going to go with Joystiq and guess that the Kotaku rumor was in fact a red herring, though partially true in that the "spin-off" is just the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.

Grisby

Damn, this week just can't get any better with all these announcements.

I'm fine on the multiplayer aspect as long as the single player remains good, which with Bioware I'm not really worried. Plus, since the shooting was so much fun in 2 and worked well I can see it in a competitive nature.

EatChildren

Nirolak said:
I'm going to go with Joystiq and guess that the Kotaku rumor was in fact a red herring, though partially true in that the "spin-off" is just the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.

Sounds about right.

EatChildren

EmCeeGramr said:
Mass Effect 3: "Wait, what actually happened in the last game? Shit, we need to wrap up this story fast."

The best part will be the Reaper invasion that will completely negate the entire plots of the first two games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Multiplayer is no surprise.

Maybe it'll feature drop-in, drop-out co-op where you can bring in your Shepard along with her decisions/skills to a friend's game! Kinda like Dead Rising 2.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a reveal of the multiplayer part specifically. I imagine it doesn't take long to piece that together, so it won't be a premature reveal. Release is probably early 2012.

EatChildren said:
The best part will be the Reaper invasion that will completely negate the entire plots of the first two games.
Shepard: So what happened to those people I dealt with in ME1 and ME2?

Plot Device Man: Everyone died or had their shit wrecked, but I can give you a choice between the Pro-Game Cerberus Armor or Ultimate Edition N7 Rifle, each with an accompanying email and cameo appearance. You will receive your reward for walking from one end of a hallway to another while talking to two different people.

EA said something like multiplayer is mandatory for all games published by them not but a week or two ago. Of course they'd mandate it for ME3.

That said, part of me kinda wishes they'd wait until next-gen. Current gen standards already held ME2 back a bit.

Snuggler said:
Multiplayer is no surprise.

Maybe it'll feature drop-in, drop-out co-op where you can bring in your Shepard along with her decisions/skills to a friend's game! Kinda like Dead Rising 2.
2mespic.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShockingAlberto said:
EA said something like multiplayer is mandatory for all games published by them not but a week or two ago. Of course they'd mandate it for ME3.

That said, part of me kinda wishes they'd wait until next-gen. Current gen standards already held ME2 back a bit.
Online component actually, which includes things like Dragon Age's social networking.

We've known that BioWare Montreal has been making multiplayer for something in the Mass Effect franchise for a while though based on that job posting.

Lostconfused said:
Although I don't see how that would work.

It's perfect though. With alternate universe Shepards and interuniversal travel established as canon, Bioware will be free to create a Mass Effect where your past choices matter even less.

EatChildren

I wouldn't be surprised if ME3's multiplayer has basically nothing to do with the main story, and is instead a complete multiplayer offering.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EatChildren said:
I wouldn't be surprised if ME3's multiplayer has basically nothing to do with the main story, and is instead a complete multiplayer offering.
Maybe it'll be like The Crossing and the end game is a team deathmatch map. :lol

For the love of god, as long as there's no multiplayer achievements. As much as I love Mass Effect, I am not touching anything that involves it and multiplayer. It's a singleplayer experience, and I for, the life of my, cannot imagine why EA would even think including multiplayer is a good idea. They're trying to draw in the CoD crowd? EA wants everything to compete with Call of Duty now, next thing we know we'll be getting Dragon Age: Modern Warfare.

If it does include multiplayer, here's what's going to happen:
1) All ME fans will play the singleplayer, momentarily touch the multiplayer and then go back to the singleplayer
2) The CoD crowd they're so desperate to reel in will play CoD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blue Ninja said:
For the love of god, as long as there's no multiplayer achievements. As much as I love Mass Effect, I am not touching anything that involves it and multiplayer. EA wants everything to compete with Call of Duty now, next thing we know we'll be getting Dragon Age: Modern Warfare.
This is when someone photoshops a giant beard on Shepard.

DuckRacer

If Mass Effect 3 has MP it'll be developed solely by BioWare Montreal – unless Edmonton decides to tack on some co-op activities it won't have any effect on the single player.

derFeef

I don't know about you guys, but Mass Effect multiplayer sounds awesome if they keep the singlepalyer the way I know and love.
EatChildren said:
Like that, yep.

Glix

Blue Ninja said:
For the love of god, as long as there's no multiplayer achievements. As much as I love Mass Effect, I am not touching anything that involves it and multiplayer. It's a singleplayer experience, and I for, the life of my, cannot imagine why EA would even think including multiplayer is a good idea. They're trying to draw in the CoD crowd? EA wants everything to compete with Call of Duty now, next thing we know we'll be getting Dragon Age: Modern Warfare.

If it does include multiplayer, here's what's going to happen:
1) All ME fans will play the singleplayer, momentarily touch the multiplayer and then go back to the singleplayer
2) The CoD crowd they're so desperate to reel in will play CoD

Yeah, um, have you see DA2? :(

Radogol

Blue Ninja said:
A co-op mode in the style of Fable wouldn't be so bad an idea, come to think of it. I just can't see how it'd work with conversations and such.

The Old Republic has multiple player conversations, I think. How do they work?

I'm honestly asking.

Radogol said:
The Old Republic has multiple player conversations, I think. How do they work?

I'm honestly asking.
Apparently, in the event of choice-making:

You roll. Whoever wins gets to go on about their choice. In groups with more than two people, majority rules. You get your light side or dark side points based on what you chose, not what actually ends up happening.

I'm still not sure when it comes to conversations, though. Sounds pretty meh. Might just be better to have the co-op partner just be a bystander: turn the conversations into cinematics for him, while the host player makes decisions.

Top Bottom