• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA vs Edge trademark case - GAME OVER! - read post #169

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Looks like EA did it!

Via IndustryGamers:

EA, who has long sought to get the case thrown out, and said Langdell was deliberately deceiving the USPTO, has successfully done so with today’s ruling. The court has denied Edge Games’ motion for injunction, citing that it believes that Langdell made fraudulent statements to the US Patent and Trademark Office and strongly believes that Langdell is “suspect,” and has been “trolling” the game industry for licensing opportunities. His actions could possibly warrant “criminal penalties.”

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
JohnnyPanda said:
Looks like EA did it!

Via IndustryGamers:
The court has denied Edge Games’ motion for injunction, citing that it believes that Langdell made fraudulent statements to the US Patent and Trademark Office and strongly believes that Langdell is “suspect,” and has been “trolling” the game industry for licensing opportunities. His actions could possibly warrant “criminal penalties.”
lol!

JKTrix

'Trolling' has been a valid part of the English language long before the Internet came about.

Glad this is over.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
JKTrix said:
'Trolling' has been a valid part of the English language long before the Internet came about.

Glad this is over.
I know, but it's still funny to see the word being employed like that :lol

Triple_H_Backlash.jpg

amtidf.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i think im in a state of shock. EA has dealt a great blow to evil here. im really interested in what kind of criminal penalties they will give to Tim.

McNum

Aww, someone bit off more than he could chew? Yeah, going after EA probably wasn't the brightest idea. Does this mean it's over, or are we looking forward to several appeals and followups? I do like the sound of "criminal penalties", though. That sounds fun. For us.

In any case, I suggest a "GAF plays Mirror's Edge" thread to celebrate.

Altazor

Looks like Langdell is on the edge... of going to jail.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

PSuj3.jpg

Volcynika

So can NISA rename their Cross Edge forum and not have to license it?

"Cross E... that is no longer
The official former Cross "something" Discussion Forum"

Haunted

I still want to read phisheep's analysis of this. :p Is it really over? I want to know if Langdell can still do something, an appeal or other shenanigans to draw this out any longer etc. or if this is finally it.

SteelAttack said:
Good news. This warrants a cold beer. Who wants to join me?
I just cracked one open because I was thirsty in celebration.

thcsquad

water_wendi said:
i dont think they mean as in message board trolling but trolling as in fishing.

Good news though.

The internet term came from the fishing term. There's no confusion here, they mean the same thing. 'Trail your bait around, and try to catch the stupid ones'.

i get off work at midnight... but as soon as i get home i swear i'll have an asahi to victory!

i don't care about jail time or anything like that with him, i just want confirmation that he either loses the patent or he is somehow banned from being able to take any legal action against any game using the word edge in it. best case scenario would be this SOMEHOW MAGICALLY sparking a change in patent law, but that'll never happen.

iammeiam

And things like this are why I am now okay with EA overall. It's not often you want the giant corporation to smash the little guy into a very fine paste, but dear God did Langdell have this coming.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i get off work at midnight... but as soon as i get home i swear i'll have an asahi to victory!

i don't care about jail time or anything like that with him, i just want confirmation that he either loses the patent or he is somehow banned from being able to take any legal action against any game using the word edge in it. best case scenario would be this SOMEHOW MAGICALLY sparking a change in patent law, but that'll never happen.
I'm totally down for changing patent laws, but this is a trademark issue.

monocromo

While Im only going to drink water, Im so glad that this turned out good for EA. Mirrors Edge is one of the best games of this gen and they deserve my respect for supporting DICE with the project.

Top Bottom