• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eagle Creek wildfire: rain of ash in Portland, evacuations ordered

mYm|17|

I was going to do the Eagle Creek Trail to the falls hike with my friend when he gets here in two weeks. Such a sad site to see out there.

I was just there not too long ago. So beautiful. I'm so sad now :(
DI-VzQ4UEAAUyeg.jpg:large

J6XCS68.jpg

Embraze

Neo Member
I have a trip booked for Portland next weekend, do you think it's worth cancelling with the fire going on?

mYm|17|

I have a trip booked for Portland next weekend, do you think it's worth cancelling with the fire going on?

Well it's not gonna be pretty here that's for sure, but the weather will be getting cooler this week and the wind should help with the ash.

If you plan on going out east toward Hood River, then I would not. The city won't be so bad.

mYm|17|

The Gorge area has so many great hikes and it's a shame that a lot of them are gone now.
I've only done Angel's Rest and was going to do more after the summer season ended.

daTRUballin

There's a lot of smoke and ash falling where I live. It's pretty crazy. You can't even see the clouds! And now I'm finding out that the area where a friend of mine lives (which is about a 20 min. drive from where I live) might be getting an evacuation warning. This is all a bit concerning to say the least ._.

I went to Multnomah so many times

When I was in Oregon I was right on the Gorge. Seeing so much I saw for years daily burn is depressing as fuck. Still have a lot of family spread out on both sides of the river too, around the Dalles.

I can't believe it jumped the river how the hell is that possible?

The wind kicked up embers and flew them across the Columbia :/

My mom lives in Corbett and had to leave. She sprayed down her roof and removed her drapes and everything so that the house is a bit harder to ignite.

We need to ban recreational fireworks after this. If the kids that started it don't face any legal repercussions then the whole family needs to be shamed out of the state. They need to GTFO of here.

dcassell

Banned
Eugene has sucked so bad the last few days. It's gone between 150 and 400 in like an hour off and on, though a breeze is picking up downtown. Hopefully it blows off soon, but most of the state is on fire, so

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
My mom lives in Corbett and had to leave. She sprayed down her roof and removed her drapes and everything so that the house is a bit harder to ignite.

We need to ban recreational fireworks after this. If the kids that started it don't face any legal repercussions then the whole family needs to be shamed out of the state. They need to GTFO of here.
Eh, that's a bit much. Most families don't have much control over their teenagers.

Beth Cyra

Over in Harrisburg and it really is crazy.

Like just being outside feels so freaky and oppressive.

Like aincouldnt help think of that feeling left over when watching some horror movies after the bomb goes off. Not for distraction but due to just the heaviness in the air.

Very surreal.

jeremy1456

Captain hindsight says controlled burns could have saved everything.

Alas people will never learn. We're creating 'super fires' such that they burn so hot such that tree seeds lose viability.

Captain hindsight says controlled burns could have saved everything.

Alas people will never learn. We're creating 'super fires' such that they burn so hot such that tree seeds lose viability.

Tree density in forests is a huge problem

Same reason the pine beetle has been so destructive in the Colorado Rockies

MikeDown

Banned
A few pictures I tooks while visiting Portland today. Ash and smoke is terrible. Glad I got to visit eagle creek again back in April, it will never be the same. Will take a good century before things recover.

Balphon

I live in Gresham. There's been a pretty steady light ashfall since at least last night.

The air outside is basically a gray haze that smells like a campfire.

GhaleonEB

Eh, that's a bit much. Most families don't have much control over their teenagers.

I don't think so. They've put my mom and hundreds of others out of their homes. Just like that, all these families have their lives turned upside down. People just have to leave and come to terms with the fact that they might not have a house to go back to. They've caused millions of dollars in damages, put everyone in the PNW' health at risk with the amount of smoke spreading all over the region, destroyed iconic attractions which will reduce income for the people out here for decades.

This kid is fuckin' toast and i hope his whole family gets the fuck out cause they aren't welcome. They'll be bankrupt too. Fuck all of them. Their parents brought them there and were the ones to pick them up. They are liable.

The fire has slowed considerably (after doubling in size to 10,000+ acres today) thanks to the wind dying down. But there are still a lot of closures and evacuation areas.

TROUTDALE, Ore. -- It appears the Eagle Creek wildfire that has forced hundreds of evacuations and closed miles of Interstate 84 east of Portland may be slowing down as winds pushing the fire west have weakened.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday night said fire officials "are indicating that the fire has slowed way down for now." The latest evacuation order was issued early Tuesday afternoon.

The fire, which started burning on Saturday, had doubled in size to 10,000 acres from Monday night into Tuesday morning. About 500 emergency personnel are fighting the blaze. No known residential structure losses have been reported. In addition to the evacuations in Multnomah County, Hood River County has closed all forestland for recreational use.

More info at that link about closures. Here is the updated evacuation list:

Level 3 evacuation orders, meaning residents should leave immediately, have been ordered for the following communities:

Oregon (About 400 homes)

Warrendale
Dodson
Larch Mountain
Latourell
Bridal Veil
Corbett (East of the 38700 block of Columbia River Highway)

Washington

Archer Mt. Road
Franz Road
Smith Cripe Road
Kellet Road
Victoria Lane

Level 2 evacuation orders, meaning residents should be ready to leave at a moment's notice, have been issued for the following communities:

Oregon (About 850 homes)

Parts of Cascade Locks
Corbett/Springdale (West of 37800 block of the Columbia River Highway to the Sandy River)

Level 1 evacuation orders, meaning people should get ready for a potential evacuation, have been issued for:

Oregon (About 3,400 homes)

East Troutdale (East of 257th Avenue, north of Stark Street and west of the Sandy River)

It is crazy that level 1 evacuation orders have gone out to Troutdale. I believe that's only about ten miles from Portland.

Balphon

Troutdale is maybe 15 miles from downtown Portland, but it's basically the northeast end of the Portland sprawl. Everything to the west of it is a contiguous urban area.

Top Bottom