• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

tumblr_olycxgTChG1qzm8mpo1_540.gif
It's a swing and a miss alright

prwxv3

I am weary but I will wait for full reviews to see whole picture. I remember a lot of negative panicking about horizon because of that one bad side quest cutscene and streams.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I mean focusing on small keyframing issues is sort of petty. I think it's more important to focus on crap writing and world building...

Yeah I can overlook shoddy animations and what not if the content behind it is interesting and engaging. So far impressions don't seem to support that possibility much at all.

I was super pissed about the rumored setting of MEA when it was first being talked about as I saw it as the cowards way of dealing with the ME3 ending which could have been easily turned into something interesting had they the balls to explore it. But I got over that eventually and saw the potential for going to a new Galaxy. Looks like my gut feeling may have been right.

Some of these previewers are slyly hinting that the opening of the game sucks or is rough, but things improve after that plot wise, but that doesn't instill a ton of confidence. I'm waiting till Monday for reviews to make my final decision. I really really wanted this to be a great game. ME is one of my all time favorite series.

Green Yoshi

So combat is fun, but writing and dialogues remind you on the PSX/N64 era? And the levels are even more packed than in Ubisoft games?

Was Drew Karpyshyn not evolved in the development process and what about the rest of the team? Is it the same that created Mass Effect 1-3?

RedSwirl

SRTtoZ

I figured this was all hyperbole bullshit but after watching the GB stream it seems to back what RPS is saying. I hope there are some redeemable aspects to the game but the story/animations and voice acting are super important to me in an RPG.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mmm no I wouldn't say that at all, unless you're comparing it to Uncharted, Quantum Break, and similar games... nope. It's better than any Bethesda game, any Biowere, Deus Ex an lot of others.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Aloy and Petra
I'm comparing it against itself. Aloy's animations, for the most part, look good in the rest of the world. The way she'll hop over a rock or mount a Strider, for example.

So it stands out when her smile makes it look like she's a horror monster from Silent Hill or Resident Evil. :p

By what standard is this bad?
You'd have a hard time finding a open world game that tops it.
This seems arbitrary doesn't it? I mean, sure, by those standards, most of Horizon's facial animations look great by comparison. lol

Dude what happened to Bioware? Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games of all time. Mass Effect 2 was not as good but still great. Now every time I see one of their characters move or speak...What the hell.

NewGame

Banned
To be honest it really doesn't look any different from the other Mass Effect games.

ME games have always been a solid 7/10

So this is shaping up to be Inquisition with shitty writing? Hmm. Damn. Was gonna buy, I might rent now and buy Persona instead. If the game's really that bad it'll drop fast. I was really looking forward to this too.

prwxv3

I figured this was all hyperbole bullshit but after watching the GB stream it seems to back what RPS is saying. I hope there are some redeemable aspects to the game but the story/animations and voice acting are super important to me in an RPG.

Well yea comparing Horizon to games like Uncharted, QB, etc is dumb.

The eyes in this game can look really strange at times. Was watching a stream and a scene got close up to one of the characters and her eyes looked almost cartoony. Kinda funny but it reminded me of the villain from Roger Rabbit.

Plot twist, they are moved by rng. I found the scene after PeeBee (what kind of name is that by the way?) decides to test ride Ryder and her eyes end up around his waist. Not intentional, hopefully. But you aren't fooling anyone girl.

Floody

I'm comparing it against itself. Aloy's animations, for the most part, look good in the rest of the world. The way she'll hop over a rock or mount a Strider, for example.

So it stands out when her smile makes it look like she's a horror monster from Silent Hill or Resident Evil. :p

This seems arbitrary doesn't it? I mean, sure, by those standards, most of Horizon's facial animations look great by comparison. lol

It'd be kinda unfair to compare against a linear games were they can just focus way more resources on that stuff. Like whose expecting something on the same tier as Uncharted 4's facial animations from Horizon? It's probably not even possible yet, so comparing it against it's peers makes way more sense.

i gotta be honest the writing and dialogue and stuff always looked real rough in the previews. I don't know who wrote that shit but it's not the people who wrote the dialogue in older bioware games. And ti's not like those performances are gonna blow anyone's mind. And the facial animation looks ROUGH in some of the previews.

That said I also gotta be honest that i'm kind of a sucker still for systems-heavy exploring games, so hopefully I'll enjoy that at least.

Man,that Giant Bomb stream was one of the best pre-release videos I've ever watched! They just completely destroyed any interest I had in the game, but you couldn't help but laugh because of how pathetic it all was. No bullshit, Mass Effect Andromeda looks like trash.

I've put about 40 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn, and coming from that to this is especially jarring. Horizon has its janky moments, but it looks head and shoulders above Andromeda outside of those. Coming from a game where characters can look photo realistic just makes it all that much more apparent. I think there might be more detail on Aloy's model than on the entire team in Mass Effect Andromeda.

prwxv3

Man, that Giant Bomb video was one of the best pre-release videos I've ever watched. Just completely destroyed any interest I had in the game. No bullshit the game look like trash. I've put about 40 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn and coming from that to this is especially jarring. Horizon has its janky moments, but it looks head and shoulders above this outside of those. Coming from a game where characters can look photo realistic, it just horrible in comparison. I think there might be more detail on Ally's model than on the entire team in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Then when you consider the thunder jaws or other big robot creatures in the game lol.

Playing on the slim, HDR on and I feel like I see noise on the screen, it's not exactly clear? Please tell me this is some weird filmic filter that is on I just have to take off. (Notice it when in space mostly)

The animation issues don't seem to be small unfortunately. Look at the GB stream.

I only had time to watch a few minutes and saw some laughably bad animation and lip synch.

I don't have high hopes for this one, but I hope the multiplayer is good and not a huge cash grab.

Syranth

I think people want a game to be bad because they regret pre-ordering or don't want to spend more money on something. It's kinda like they are looking for an excuse to hit the ejection seat button. I go into each gamewith expectations in the middle. I rarely get disappointed.

Assanova

I absolutely love Mass Effect, but I'm definitely going to wait on the hype to die down before deciding to buy this one. I got burned on Inquisition and No Man's Sky. Not going to get burned on this.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Bioware has been riding a downhill slope for years now, not at all surprised that this will likely fall in line.

I think people want a game to be bad because they regret pre-ordering or don't want to spend more money on something. It's kinda like they are looking for an excuse to hit the ejection seat button. I go into each gamewith expectations in the middle. I rarely get disappointed.

I think this happens sometimes but the issues being seen in pre release are real.

Especially the dull "resource mining" that amounts to holding a button near a clump of crystals randomly placed in the world. There just looks like a lot of dull timewasting design decisions like Inquisition had.

I think most people who like Inquisition acknowledge the very serious flaws. I liked it and finished it but it was like not what I would consider a good RPG.

DA:I has some legit surprise moments due to player choice, and there aren't many games that do, regardless if the game has serious flaws or not. I think I'm looking more for that than anything else from RPGs. That and the feeling that there is a lot of effort and creativity behind a compelling and immersive world. The attention to detail to the history and background of DA's world is up there with any in the genre.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It'd be kinda unfair to compare against a linear games were they can just focus way more resources on that stuff. Like whose expecting something on the same tier as Uncharted 4's facial animations from Horizon? It's probably not even possible yet, so comparing it against it's peers makes way more sense.
Well, assuming LA Noire was a freak accident, I can't help that it still looks weird regardless of context. And it's not like they don't know how many conversations there are in the game, particularly when it's clear that they spent more time working on some characters than others.

Don't get me wrong, I think Horizon looks great. And it certainly doesn't have the jank of Andromeda, but it could be better too.

DocSeuss

I wouldn't be surprised if after this game comes out, the post-mortem conclusion is that "going open world was a mistake." Not necessarily from the perspective of it not being very good, but the fact they've needed to rebuild all of Mass Effect in Frostbite, which is no small undertaking, and build an entire open world game around it as well, stretching themselves thin in the process. It also kind of makes me think BioWare lost track of what made people like Mass Effect in the first place. It wasn't content or collectables or nonsense like that, but the story and the characters, tightly woven into what at the end of the day was a series of linear levels played out in a non-linear order. Hopefully Andromeda delivers on that front, even if it has a shaky start, but I'm very skeptical the open world element brings anything substantial that enhances the game as a Mass Effect game and isn't just a bullet point on the back of the box.

Um, but Dragon Age Inquisition already exists, so they have the pipeline and technology in place already.

Acorn

Well, assuming LA Noire was a freak accident, I can't help that it still looks weird regardless of context. And it's not like they don't know how many conversations there are in the game, particularly when it's clear that they spent more time working on some characters than others.

Don't get me wrong, I think Horizon looks great. And it certainly doesn't have the jank of Andromeda, but it could be better too.
LA Noire used a studio patented facial system, not really comparable to anything else.

Man, Giant Bomb stream was one of the best pre-release videos I've ever watched! They just completely destroyed any interest I had in the game, but you couldn't help but laugh because of how pathetic it all was. No bullshit, Mass Effect Andromeda looks like trash.

I've put about 40 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn, and coming from that to this is especially jarring. Horizon has its janky moments, but it looks head and shoulders above Andromeda outside of those. Coming from a game where characters can look photo realistic just makes it all that much more apparent. I think there might be more detail on Ally's model than on the entire team in Mass Effect Andromeda.

I am there with you. The difference between the two are staggering and feels more like a console generation apart than ME3->ME:A. If it was an old engine or something it could have its reason but the same one that run BF1???

Skyzard

Banned
Watching this on Twitch... writing is bad, animation looks bad, characters don't look great in terms of visual tech, combat looks meh... hope it gets a lot better....but I'm not getting hopes up.

Maybe it's the kind of game you enjoy because you put up with it all... or after a few hours... and you know, because sci-fi.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yeah I'm sure that's exactly why...

Playing on the slim, HDR on and I feel like I see noise on the screen, it's not exactly clear? Please tell me this is some weird filmic filter that is on I just have to take off. (Notice it when in space mostly)

Just wanted to reply to my own post and say yes it was crappy film grain, turned it off and the game looks a lot better.

Still looks very soft though, it seems like a visual effect, maybe it's the chromatic abbreviation? I don't even know what that means but I'll turn it off.

Top Bottom