• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

Armaros

I watched a friend from Spain play a little, and funny enough the Spanish translation managed to make some of those lines come across a lot better. For instance, she doesn't say my face, she just refers to herself being tired. They use pioneer instead of Pathfinder in the Spanish translation, and instead of saying "until they've pathfound something", it's something like until they've found a new path.

So the translators were like "WTF? none of this makes sense, *fixes it*"

Lime

Jocund

Who are the gay characters? I presume the Asari is bi, since she's y'know, an Asari. And I think I've heard Vetra might be bi? Are there any other non-straight characters amongst the playable party?
BioWare have been obnoxiously tight-lipped about any of the romance stuff. So we don't really know

killatopak

Gold Member
Except they didn't really? The story and characters were all weak in Horizon, and the "RPG elements" were as light as they come. Good game still, but calling it an "open world RPG" is pushing it.

Bioware the devs lauded for their rpgs has shitty rpg elements. Can't you see the irony in that? GG has absolutely no experience in rpgs yet it delivers serviceable rpg elements at minimum.

GG has gone beyond expectations whereas Bioware failed.

deim0s

I'm so confused about why they decided to push the game out in March. I don't think anyone was even expecting the game to come out in Q1 (or at least not be delayed). They could have easily pushed it to fall and I doubt there would be much of a fuss.

EA needs to get this out I guess. It's been a while already, 4+ years?

NoPiece

I also feel like DAI would have been received better if it wasn't open world.

I know DAI was marketed as open world, but it wasn't at all. It is a bunch of zones only connected via a world map. You can't walk from the Hinterlands to the Storm Coast, you warp from disconnected zone to disconnected zone. That's fine, many RPGs do it well, but they then grafted on a bunch of grindy open world mechanics and filler fetch quests.

From the article, it seems scanning planets sucks as usual. Why is it 4 games in and it is still garbage? What is the fucking point of it?

It's a problem that a lot of AAA series run into: mechanic cruft. As a series moves along, each game adds more mechanics to try and differentiate. Instead of refining or removing old ones, attention goes to adding more. Assassin's Creed was really bad about it. Scanning should have been completely dropped after ME2.

F!ReW!Re

So OP (Rps I mean) was on point with the criticism?
I mean from the part people got to play so far it's not unjustified criticism, right??

Lime

I mean from the part people got to play so far it's not unjustified criticism, right??

Walker was right about this at least: https://webmshare.com/Dm0Nz

the impressions thread seems both good and bad. Combat is good seems to be the consensus.

other outlets:
If you want the bad stuff based on first impressions, PC Gamer had this to say, Gamespot trashed much of the story and animations, and Giant Bomb sounded disappointed or a bit negative about the characters

There are positive impressions as well out there. Combat seems good is the consensus so far.

Why would he lie? Also, it's just an opinion about a video game and not falsifiable or verifiable science, you people need to chill out.

Meifu

I haven't been keeping up with this thread or the news. Does ME4 suck or what? Someone give me the straight.

I read the RPS article and that's about it.

Honestly, I just played 4 hours and the combat is straight fire. Feels so good, jump jets all directions.

Jank is still present, but honestly animations are good enough that you don't notice most of the time.

Guy who wrote article said "witcher 3 is like eating cardboard", and theres been some discussion in this thread debating how much of the article seems fair or true.

Anyways, im addicted so far.
Story has some cool things going on

marzlapin

Who are the gay characters? I presume the Asari is bi, since she's y'know, an Asari. And I think I've heard Vetra might be bi? Are there any other non-straight characters amongst the playable party?

I watched a video of flirt dialogue options yesterday and from the responses it looks like:

Liam & Cora: straight
Vetra & Peebee: bi
Gil (ship mechanic guy): gay
Scottish science officer lady whose name I can't remember: responds well to female Ryder flirts, dunno about male Ryder
Jaal: ?? (gonna guess he's bi)
Drack: ?? (gonna guess he's not romanceable)

iavi

Character creation is beyond horrible. That's my only real complain with the game so far. It's got nothing on TW3, but it's not horrid like it's being made out to be

F!ReW!Re

Why would he lie? Also, it's just an opinion about a video game and not falsifiable or verifiable science, you people need to chill out.

Wow, I think it's you who needs a chill pill dude.

I came in this thread when OP made the thread and saw people jumping on him and calling BS and saying the RPS guy also was way too critical about witcher 3.

I hadn't looked back here since and then later saw the impressions thread about the early access.

Hence my question up above.
I've got no eggs in this basket and I don't have a platform to play this on, so the question was purely to see if opinions changed. :-S

watershed

Banned
Is she a robot?

Maybe that's the twist. They're all robots. Or...everything in the first few hours of the game is a VR simulation and your character is actually still sleeping and an evil AI is feeding you this VR which is why there is so much jank and nonsense. Like, Bioware is getting meta with its own jank.

Lucreto

I am getting this vibe from this thread.

uZC5fF9.gif

A good amount of positive reviews but the one or two negative ones get the most attention and a lot of "I knew it" going on.

A lot of the complaints seen to be on the Inquisition elements which for me are the positives. Inquisition is my favourite game this generation and the 300 plus hours can attest.

Sanctuary

Bioware the devs lauded for their rpgs has shitty rpg elements. Can't you see the irony in that? GG has absolutely no experience in rpgs yet it delivers serviceable rpg elements at minimum.

GG has gone beyond expectations whereas Bioware failed.

No, I'm not seeing irony here at all, because the claim was that "GG with no experience got it right their first time", when in fact they didn't (as far as RPGs go, not in terms of making a decent game; which of course this wasn't their first). Simply saying "Bioware" is rather meaningless too since they've been on a steady decline since after ME2 anyway. Some would say since after DA:O.

Yeah, the game seems bad early on. Some writers hint that it gets better after 8-10 hours though.

That's an awfully long time, but I guess if you're a fan just wait for impressions from people who are too.

I'm so confused about why they decided to push the game out in March. I don't think anyone was even expecting the game to come out in Q1 (or at least not be delayed). They could have easily pushed it to fall and I doubt there would be much of a fuss.

If they delayed it, EA would have Mass Effect competing with another one of their own titles with a similar audience, Star Wars Battlefront II. Which will actually have a campagin this time around. After their moronic idea of setting up Titanfall 2 to fail this past fall, I don't think they're going to be making that same mistake again.

I know DAI was marketed as open world, but it wasn't at all. It is a bunch of zones only connected via a world map. You can't walk from the Hinterlands to the Storm Coast, you warp from disconnected zone to disconnected zone. That's fine, many RPGs do it well, but they then grafted on a bunch of grindy open world mechanics and filler fetch quests.

It's a problem that a lot of AAA series run into: mechanic cruft. As a series moves along, each game adds more mechanics to try and differentiate. Instead of refining or removing old ones, attention goes to adding more. Assassin's Creed was really bad about it. Scanning should have been completely dropped after ME2.
Yeah they just had giant world's that were annoying to travel and made you want to break your tv. Nothing fine about it.

I don't care about animations at all, they are there they don't affect gameplay and all that. I hardly waste my time on character creators again it's there but it isn't gameplay etc

The giant world's and level design are definitely more important imo and from what was shown in videos this game is a lot of dai and if it is I'd rather hear that

This is bioware and why anyone wouldn't expect frame issues. Why that even needs to be addressed?

You know it will have frame issues no matter what. Atleast it isn't dragon age ps3 Camera stutter bad.

Sanctuary

Yeah, the game seems bad early on. Some writers hint that it gets better after 8-10 hours though.

That's an awfully long time, but I guess if you're a fan just wait for impressions from people who are too.

Either that, or they just finally accepted what was given to them and moved forward with lowered expectations. The whole "It gets good after X-XX hours!" trend seriously needs to disappear.

Floody

uZC5fF9.gif

A good amount of positive reviews but the one or two negative ones get the most attention and a lot of "I knew it" going on.

A lot of the complaints seen to be on the Inquisition elements which for me are the positives. Inquisition is my favourite game this generation and the 300 plus hours can attest.

Giant Bomb and Gamespot have also been pretty negative on it, and the footage speaks for itself. A link to any positive impressions, already read Shinobi's.

Just a few posts earlier....

Honestly, I just played 4 hours and the combat is straight fire. Feels so good, jump jets all directions.

Jank is still present, but honestly animations are good enough that you don't notice most of the time.

Guy who wrote article said "witcher 3 is like eating cardboard", and theres been some discussion in this thread debating how much of the article seems fair or true.

Anyways, im addicted so far.
Story has some cool things going on

Character creation is beyond horrible. That's my only real complain with the game so far. It's got nothing on TW3, but it's not horrid like it's being made out to be

Guess people are just focusing in on the negative posts and are deciding to perpetuate the opinions of a couple of reviewers. Its funny when the majority of impressions ive read from people actually playing the game seem fairly positive as noted above...

So I guess one of the reason for the jank and flaws is because it's from new studio? Is so, then what is the main bioware team doing right now? New Dragon Age?

uZC5fF9.gif

The only four outlets I trust and read regularly had very negative things to say about it. I also watched four hours of footage that made it look like a pretty, crushingly mediocre third person shooter.

How is this just confirmation bias? All lot of the people in these threads shitting on it really want more ME and in some cases are still buying Andromeda regardless.

Giant Bomb and Gamespot have also been pretty negative on it, and the footage speaks for itself. A link to any positive impressions, already read Shinobi's.

So i guess youve just ignored all the positive impressions people have posted in this thread... Or your just focusing on the negative opinons..

Floody

So i guess youve just ignored all the positive impressions people have posted in this thread... Or your just focusing on the negative opinons..

Nah, I just don't pay much attention to a few sentences that don't go into much detail, it's nice but doesn't tell me much, especially when there's literally hours worth of negative to mixed impressions from Giant Bomb alone. The only thing that seems to be commonly praised is the combat, but I don't play Bioware games for just the combat.
Looking for positive impressions the size of Shinobi's.

Helscream

Banned
After Dragon Age: Inquisition I was afraid Mass Effect: Andromeda was going to share the same glaring issues. Seems like my fears turned true.

Osahi

Yes. I am under NDA so I don't think I can say who's who, but I actualy feel most characters are at least bisexual and some are gay (playing fem-Ryder and I've been told of by some guys for 'not their type if you know what they mean)

You can romance a lot of characterd by the way. Suprised how many had the flirt option.

Cerium

Yes. I am under NDA so I don't think I can say who's who, but I actualy feel most characters are at least bisexual and some are gay (playing fem-Ryder and I've been told of by some guys for 'not their type if you know what they mean)

You can romance a lot of characterd by the way. Suprised how many had the flirt option.

Are the fears and concerns justified yes/no?

Kuro

Early forum impressions can be really iffy. I remember The Order getting a lot of praise right before release (mostly because of the graphics)

Osahi

Are the fears and concerns justified yes/no?

For me it's somewhere in the middle for now. 9 hours in only, so regarding the size if of this game I need to log more hours. There is good and bad stuff, but I am having fun (hours fly by)

Just a few posts earlier....

Guess people are just focusing in on the negative posts and are deciding to perpetuate the opinions of a couple of reviewers. Its funny when the majority of impressions ive read from people actually playing the game seem fairly positive as noted above...

Please.

There has been some legit concerns on the quality of the storytelling and conversations, something that is important for Mass Effect Andromeda considering it's an RPG.

I have nothing against people playing it for the combat, and multiplayer (hell I loved FFXV's combat system and platinumed it) but let's not jump on people 'perpetuating opinions' over rather important matters as well.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm toying with this admittedly crackpoint tinfoil theory that Sony and EA put their big hitters in a short March month to swamp out Switch. Like EA did with Activision. Otherwise I don't really know why EA said they were comfortable launching it in summer, only to apparently rush it out in the busiest month we've had, ever.
Well if that's true, and that's a big if because I also think it sounds paranoid, then joke's on them I guess.
If they delayed it, EA would have Mass Effect competing with another one of their own titles with a similar audience, Star Wars Battlefront II. Which will actually have a campagin this time around. After their moronic idea of setting up Titanfall 2 to fail this past fall, I don't think they're going to be making that same mistake again.
It wasn't a mistake, it worked. CoD sales tanked.

Nielm

One thing that was mentioned in the GiantBomb stream:

Apparently the game doesn't touch much on the 'heading to a new galaxy' plot point. They're 'pathfinders', explorers who were born to do it. I thought it would be like Interstellar - the world is under threat, so a group of people head out to a new galaxy to find a new home. The plot isn't like that for some reason.

Joco

Forget the impressions, I'm really taken aback by the level of jank in the animations. I seriously don't remember Mass Effect 2 and 3 looking like this. Some of this is like Bethesda Gamebryo level of bad.

Guess Who

Banned
The combat looks like it's probably solid, but I absolutely couldn't give a shit about the combat in a Mass Effect game. These games live and die by the characters and story, and both the writing and presentation seem severely lacking from everything I've seen so far. I wasn't terribly optimistic on this game to begin with, but it honestly looks even worse than I expected on those fronts.

Floody

What a time to alive. Some people suggesting that you should skip single player and play multiplayer instead.

The MP was great in ME3 and that game's gameplay wasn't too great, I have very high hopes for ME:A's after the gameplay getting pretty much nothing but praise. Just hope it's not ruined by an over reliant on loot boxes.

I won't be skipping the SP though.

Creepy

Played 1, 2 and 3. They're alright.

Have no intention of playing this one.

Seems pretty pointless to make mass effect "4" when It has no real connection to the first 3 beyond being set in its universe...
Why didn't they get the license to a better franchise like star trek... or bsg... or hell, why not go the whole way and get Babylon 5 and make a new game out of that.

Also it just looks boring.

Top Bottom