• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound series 30th Birthday!! (One of the most underrated games of all time)

Antoon

Banned
EDIT: Note, this is not just the SNES Earthbound. Theres also Earthbound Beginnings on NES and Mother 3 on GBA. So when I say underrated, I talk about the series as a whole, not just one game.

A few days late, but lets take a moment to look back at the game that broke the archaic jrpg formula that was flooding the market with the same dragons and dungeon fantasy themes. To this day, this is the only JRPG setting (modern world) that I can enjoy, but Mother series did not only bring us a fresh new world to explore, it made fun of a lot of JRPG tropes (Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy) so its arguably the first JRPG to not take itself too seriously (with the exception of Mother 3).

So anyway, heres a long celebration video by the Japanese fans (Eng subs included).

Warning!< Some otaku/cringe humour >

BTW this needs to be here too, the N64 version of Mother 3 that was scrapped.

This thread is basically an excuse for everyone to go play Mother 3. Sure, its kinda hard to find the roms these days, but its worth the effort for the masterpiece.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Definitely a good thread. In addition, Live a Live does some of the things Earthbound did with regard to setting. I've never played it myself but it's worth mentioning as it came out around the same time as Earthbound (not Mother, that came out in 1989 as per Antoon's correction below).

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
Definitely a good thread but Live a Live does some of the things Earthbound did with regard to setting. I've never played it myself but it's worth mentioning.
Interesting game, but it came out in 1994. The first Mother game on NES came out in 1989.

Edit: oh you just meant the similar setting? Yeah, the more jprgs in the modern setting the better :) I also loved TWEWY

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
At this point it seems like one of the most overrated of all time. I played Earthbound when it came out. It was OK but I feel that because of the west never getting the other installments localized it was put on a pedestal. I would replay 10 games from that era ahead of Earthbound.

Lanrutcon

How is this game underrated?

Everyone sings its praises all the time. The amount of youtube videos about it rivals nearly any game on the console. It's been years since Earthbound was anything resembling obscure. Google "top SNES rpgs" or "top SNES games". Earthbound sits on the first page of both searches.

You might as well call Chrono Trigger underrated. Hey, anyone remember Chrono Trigger? that tiny little game anyone barely knows or loves? I can only hope that one day it gains the recognition it deserves. </s>

Antoon

Banned
At this point it seems like one of the most overrated of all time. I played Earthbound when it came out. It was OK but I feel that because of the west never getting the other installments localized it was put on a pedestal. I would replay 10 games from that era ahead of Earthbound.

I have to admit, Earthbound on SNES wasnt that special to me, but thats because I played it AFTER Mother 3, which remains the most groundbreaking RPG for me.

This thread should be more about Mother 3, and less about Earthbound. Because thats what nobody ever played.

Antoon

Banned
How is this game underrated?

Everyone sings its praises all the time. The amount of youtube videos about it rivals nearly any game on the console. It's been years since Earthbound was anything resembling obscure. Google "top SNES rpgs" or "top SNES games". Earthbound sits on the first page of both searches.

You might as well call Chrono Trigger underrated. Hey, anyone remember Chrono Trigger? that tiny little game anyone barely knows or loves? I can only hope that one day it gains the recognition it deserves. </s>

This thread isnt about only the SNES title, but the series as a whole. Have you played Mother 3 ?

Lanrutcon

This thread isnt about only the SNES title, but the series as a whole. Have you played Mother 3 ?

I have to admit, Earthbound on SNES wasnt that special to me, but thats because I played it AFTER Mother 3, which remains the most groundbreaking RPG for me.

This thread should be more about Mother 3, and less about Earthbound. Because thats what nobody ever played.

Fair enough.

Antoon

Banned
EDIT: Note, this is not just the SNES Earthbound. Theres also Earthbound Beginnings on NES and Mother 3 on GBA. So when I say underrated, I talk about the series as a whole, not just one game.

A few days late, but lets take a moment to look back at the game that broke the archaic jrpg formula that was flooding the market with the same dragons and dungeon fantasy themes. To this day, this is the only JRPG setting (modern world) that I can enjoy, but Mother series did not only bring us a fresh new world to explore, it made fun of a lot of JRPG tropes (Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy) so its arguably the first JRPG to not take itself too seriously (with the exception of Mother 3).

So anyway, heres a long celebration video by the Japanese fans (Eng subs included).

Warning!< Some otaku/cringe humour >

BTW this needs to be here too, the N64 version of Mother 3 that was scrapped.

This thread is basically an excuse for everyone to go play Mother 3. Sure, its kinda hard to find the roms these days, but its worth the effort for the masterpiece.

Last edited:

plushyp

Okay I've wanted to play these for a while now. Where do I begin? Part 1 or just Earthbound on SNES and then Mother 3 on GBA?

Antoon

Banned
Okay I've wanted to play these for a while now. Where do I begin? Part 1 or just Earthbound on SNES and then Mother 3 on GBA?

Best way is to start with SNES and then move on to Mother 3 (both games are very different in tone and theme). Play the NES one mostly if youre a diehard JRPG fan who is also a masochist, because the difficulty is all over the place.

Last edited:

plushyp

Best way is to start with SNES and then move on to Mother 3 (both games are very different in tone and theme). Play the NES one mostly if youre a diehard JRPG fan who is also a masochist, because the difficulty is all over the place.
If skipped, will I miss out on any story or references to the first game in 2,3?

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
If skipped, will I miss out on any story or references to the first game in 2,3?
Nope, they are all standalone games. You will see some minor nods to Earthbound in Mother 3 but nothing that will confuse you or anything.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Happy Birthday to one game nobody played, one game that is incredibly average and not worth the praise and finally, happy birthday to the best swan song a handheld could ever ask for.

MOTHER 3 rules.

Acerac

Banned
The true brilliance of the games are how they use video gaming as a unique medium.

Very few titles before or since have done this as well as they have, and that is why they will continue to stand above many other games of their time that are far better designed from a balance standpoint.

It kills me how underappreciated that specific aspect is.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Earthbound really was something special. i never got around to playing it at the time, i remember being turned off by the horrible advertisements in Nintendo Power. i still can't believe "This game stinks!" was the marketing slogan lol. the 90s were a ridiculous time.

the soundtrack to this game is reason enough to play it. the art style has held up incredibly and feels like it has been far more influential than anyone suspected at the time. what else? the story is nice and very special, the in-game systems are all unique and ahead of their time. the ideas of slow rolling hits during combat or flat out insta-killing random encounters that are far beneath your level are both really awesome. the psychedelic backgrounds during combat are fun to watch.

it's a shame they didn't market this correctly, but the 90s was such a macho time at the point, and this game was too twee, too Japanese IMO. we didn't really know how good we had it. a true cult classic if there ever was!

Traianvs

Thanks for the thread I'm curious about this game. I have a bit of love/hate relationship with jrpg but if they are good I enjoy them the same ( one of my all time favourite games is indeed a jrpg, chrono trigger)
I have earthbound on my Snes Classic so I'll try it as soon as I finish my first playthrough of Super Metroid

Shy Fingers

Banned
Mother trilogy are my favorite set of games, hands down. It's one of the few trilogies that got better with each installment.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get to play Earthbound until the release on the Wii U, I'm glad I did. It captured the same feeling I got from watching ET, Stand by me, the Goonies etc. It was instantly nostalgic despite the fact I didn't play it as a child.

Ichabod

Banned
It's my #2 favorite rpg of all time (just barely nudged out of the #1 spot by Chrono Trigger). Never before had a game made me feel such a wide range of emotions from amusement and wonder to discomfort and fear and everything in between. Listening to the soundtrack gives me warm fuzzies to this day. I'm long overdue for another playthrough.

Top Bottom