• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Madden 21 shuns Xbox Series X Smart Delivery upgrade, opting for limited-time offer

ZehDon

I wondered who was going to be the first to pull back on this. With EA doing it, I suspect Activision will be doing it too. And that means Bethesda is likely - given how many versions of Skyrim they've hocked. I'll be curious if Sony is backing this themselves, or if it's just an option that publishers can chose to take advantage of if they want.

Agreed.

Its basically the whole cross buy program you see on Playstation. Its why I never got the fuss over folks worrying about Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5 when the publisher doesn't need "smart delivery" to give the customer a free version of their damn game if they want to THAT BADLY. Smart delivery is a method to do that easily, it is not the only way to do that for anyone to even remotely be considered over.

Free update on PS5 if you have it on PS4.
Make it cross buy on PS5 etc they have methods to do this already.

So if EA REALLY wanted to do cross play shit, they had options already that they ignored lol So I see this no different then how I saw cross buy. Some will support it, some won't.
You already bought the game on the xbox ecosystem, the new consoles are supposedly backward compatible--so they should play the disc you have anyway, just like the PRO/X run games for their respective base consoles + enhancements if the publisher so choose... JUST NOT THE NEXT GEN VERSION, or the version labelled as such.

So all EA is doing it building a "next-gen" version of the game that won't run on the existing consoles from the same disc, which is something MS said was "up to the publishers" (hopefully it offers more than higher quality texture + faster loading time... but I would not cross my fingers)

Arkam

Are we really complaining that we are only getting a limited amount of free stuff.... from EA? Seriously, I am stoked that they are doing this at all. Current Gen madden will likely be the preferred version of 21, so getting a free version of next gen to check out is all gravy.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You already bought the game on the xbox ecosystem, the new consoles are supposedly backward compatible--so they should play the disc you have anyway, just like the PRO/X run games for their respective base consoles + enhancements if the publisher so choose... JUST NOT THE NEXT GEN VERSION, or the version labelled as such.

So all EA is doing it building a "next-gen" version of the game that won't run on the existing consoles from the same disc, which is something MS said was "up to the publishers" (hopefully it offers more than higher quality texture + faster loading time... but I would not cross my fingers)

Pretty much.

I don't see a reason for a publisher to give a next gen version for free as they don't work for free. I'm fine if they do as you got no debate from me when it comes to getting free stuff lol, but if they want to charge, I'm 100% in support of that as I knew that would be the case if you consider BF4 on PS3 was clearly not the same game that was on PS4 and XONE

RayHell

So many complains about EA and still people buy their games. I stopped buying EA games for years now, they can do their dirty business all they want, thats no longer my problem.

Aidah

I don't buy any of EA's garbage anyway.

However, in regards to next-gen upgrades in general, I don't think It should be one way or the other.

xrnzaaas

The sad thing about it is that NFL is still going to get the next installment less than a year later. It's not like they refuse to offer a permanent upgrade to a game that's going to continue to sell well for years to come.

Kagey K

Banned
Are these games going to sell if the leagues aren’t playing? This Covid stuff stands to hurt EA the worst.

They might have to get creative in order to sell their annual roster update games this year.

D.Final

Banned
Are these games going to sell if the leagues aren’t playing? This Covid stuff stands to hurt EA the worst.

They might have to get creative in order to sell their annual roster update games this year.

Definitely
I suppose

Blond

Banned
Not to disapointing when you consider that sports games are a yearly thing. If your buying the game after March 31'st 2021 the game is probably in bargain bins and you can get it for half price, and within half a year Madden 22 will be coming out.

Not to mention sports games in general aren't the powerhouse sellers they use to be outside of soccer. In a couple months retailers start knocking the prices down to like half price because after the initial rush no ones buying these things long term, they don't have legs.

cryptoadam

Banned
Not to mention sports games in general aren't the powerhouse sellers they use to be outside of soccer. In a couple months retailers start knocking the prices down to like half price because after the initial rush no ones buying these things long term, they don't have legs.

For EA sports games are just a vehicle to sell Ultimate team. They have gone downhill this generation. I remember when NHL was my most anticipated game, now I haven't played one in 3 years.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I mean.. could sell extra because people are sports starved?

Hard to say.

iorek21

When some companies begin to surpass EA in shittyness, they manage to get back in the game and recover the 1st place

Simply play the Xbox One/PS4 version on the next gen consoles then. Since this is just a sports game, you prolly won't see much of a difference between the two anyways... especially not when the game has an X enhanced mode which runs 4K/60 anyways. There is pretty much nothing for them to upgrade.

It will be more of an issue if Madden 21 on next gen will have a completely new engine and will look significantly better, but as it stands it's pretty much a nothingburger.

StormCell

MS has a bunch of their own long lost IPs they have yet to restore themselves.

Also a crime worthy of taking them to task over. It's never a good look for an industry when there is ample demand for something but it's somehow more profitable for them to not make the product.

Blond

Banned
For EA sports games are just a vehicle to sell Ultimate team. They have gone downhill this generation. I remember when NHL was my most anticipated game, now I haven't played one in 3 years.

I use to look forward to college football games and then at some point they stopped releasing them and I didn't notice till I went to look for a new title in 2018 lol

Filip JDM

Neo Member
The way they say you can upgrade your game sounds like once you upgrade, you wont be able to play the XB1 version anymore. Hope they wouldnt do something that dumb

Top Bottom