• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Origin password reset

EA sent me a mail saying my password was reseted because, it might have been linked to suspect activity.

Sure, I click on reset the password, not that I have used Origin in the past 2 years.

I land in a 404 page on their site.

Fucking Origin.

EDIT : resolved. See post 43 and 45

Com_Raven

That doesn't sound like a real email. Your password should not be automatically reset- unless it said that someone tried to reset it? What was the address of the link?

GHG

EA sent me a mail saying my password was reseted because, it might have been linked to suspect activity.

Sure, I click on reset the password, not that I have used Origin in the past 2 years.

Fucking Origin.

Bruh, you shouldn't have done that without contacting Origin and making sure the email was legitimate.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Fucking Origin.

You don't click links in mails requesting you to change passwords. Jesus!

xealo

Dont ever click password reset links unless you prompted one to get sent. They only need your email to try to hijack it. You should iniate another and pick a new password right now.

PantsuJo

It happened to me too, 3 years ago (I forgot the password).

I still can't access my account. EA support didn't answer my questions about this bug.

I had only one game (Dead Space 3) so I didn't lost so much.

But it was the last time I used Origin: N E V E R A G A I N .

What makes you think so? And what is the address it linked to? I used to work at Origin, and I can't remember emails about automated password resets (unless that has been implemented since).

It was send to my very old trash mail, the one I used to use for my PSN id (changed that years ago) but it's still my main EA mail because I linked EA account and PSN account back then.

But now PSN mail is secure but not EA's because, well, i don't use it.

link sends to Origin.com/account something something and when Mail scans it, it reveal the real site behind it (its Origin.com)

Mail was sent fro noreply@e.ea.com and when I manually changed password (not from the linked adress), confirmation came from EA@e.ea.com so it seems legit as they have the same domain adress

rSsZa5T.png

what the shit ?

My acount might have been compromised...

Can't change the informations :

rtxJh8F.png

what the fuck.

PantsuJo

It was send to my very old trash mail, the one I used to use for my PSN id (changed that years ago) but it's still my main EA mail because I linked EA account and PSN account back then.

link sends to Origin.com/account something something and when Mail scans it, it reveal the real site behind it (its Origin.com)

Mail was sent fro noreply@e.ea.com and when I manually changed password (not from the linked adress), confirmation came from EA@e.ea.com so it seems legit as they have the same domain adress

I trust you OP, it's legit, happened to me too, as I said previously.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this problem.

Edit: holy shit, OP.

netBuff

It may very well be real, but consider this: Phishing mails are sent to random email addresses. Just because it was the correct one doesn't mean anything. In addition, your Origin account address may have been part of some hack/account leak in the past so hackers would specifically target these email addresses.

Domain names can be spoofed by utilizing unicode characters that look like latin characters, but are from a different alphabet.

Sender addresses can be spoofed and aren't indication of anything.

PantsuJo

It may very well be real, but consider this: Phishing mails are sent to random email addresses. Just because it was the correct one doesn't mean anything. In addition, your Origin account address may have been part of some hack/account leak in the past so hackers would specifically target these email addresses.

Domain names can be spoofed by utilizing unicode characters that look like latin characters, but are from a different alphabet.

I didn't consider this. Luckly I used my old academic mail dismissed years ago (and not so much used), after my graduation.

But you are right, it might be the case.

Rellik

I know it's too late for you, but remember Origin has 2FA. Hopefully others will read this and go set it up, if not already.

Nictel

This is so important to note. When you get unexpected "we've reset your password" emails. Always go to the page via your browser never click on the links in the email. No matter how real and official it looks.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
rSsZa5T.png

what the shit ?

My acount might have been compromised...

Can't change the informations :

rtxJh8F.png

what the fuck.

You don't click links in mails. You. Just. Don't. Phishing mails these days are so well done, everytime you don't expect an email and you get one you don't do anything that they say you should do.

Sucks for you that this happened but let it be a lesson for you and everybody else.

JP

You should never do this.

If you ever receive an email of this type that you're not expecting, in this case, you would just go to the Origin website and log in as you normally would, if there's an issue, it will tell you when you do this.

Never click on a link sent to you in an email that you can't fully validate. Even if it doesn't direct you to a site trying to fraudulently obtain your information, you could be pressing the "go" button to install various types of malware and/or viruses.

I would recommend running whatever malware/virus software you have just to be cautious and also to change the email and password you use for Origin.

Carcetti

Even without phishing Origin password reset is just bullshit. It sometimes take like an hour for the password change to actually process in their system so that you can log of after you've changed the password.

Thing is, site says I haven't changed information since 2010.

I have 0 games in this account (its not my main Origin account, just the one linked to PSN)

so I just think about asking EA to delete the account

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Mohasus

You don't need to worry. Hackers trying to steal Origin accounts would be too incompetent to do anything with it anyway.

Hey, when my origin account was hacked, the hacker played Dead Space 3 with a friend (I checked the unlocked achievements, I had never played the game).

Russian kid was also using cheats because every item in the backpack had 999 units.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hey, when my origin account was hacked, the hacker played Dead Space 3 with a friend (I checked the unlocked achievements, I had never played the game). I don't think he finished the game before I changed the password.

Russian kid was also using cheats because every item in the backpack had 999 units.
He just didn't want to pirate the game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thing is, site says I haven't changed information since 2010.

I have 0 games in this account (its not my main Origin account, just the one linked to PSN)

so I just think about asking EA to delete the account

This is an incorrect assumption. If this account is linked to your PSN then every EA Playstation entitlement you have is tied to this Origin account and not the Email currently associated with your PSN account.

Kouriozan

Reminds me when my account was suddenly changed to Russian and I had trouble putting it back in my language.
Never got that phishy email though, they either bruteforced it or it came from another hack, looking at this https://haveibeenpwned.com
My account had 0 game too so I didn't really care, not even linked to PSN or other stuff (was made for the humble bundle), but still got it back.

Got EA on the phone.

Accessed from china confirmed.

Swapped security questions.

Enabled double authentification

Changed mail

Changed password

It indeed is real. As sensi97 said, you lost access to your account before today.

This is the mail I got but in perfect french.

and yeah, never ever click email links even if mail looks legit as fuck. Lesson learned

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You don't click links in mails. You. Just. Don't. Phishing mails these days are so well done, everytime you don't expect an email and you get one you don't do anything that they say you should do.

Sucks for you that this happened but let it be a lesson for you and everybody else.

If you know how to check what address an e-mail was actually sent from (which is not hard at all), and also check what domain the link actually goes to, you certainly can click away to your heart's content. Tech-illiterate people shouldn't though, I agree.

JP

I'd also be very cautious about relying on the email address as a form of authentication, it's really simple to spoof email addresses to show that they've come from an official source. If you want to authenticate it from within the email then using the full header is the better way of doing this.

First. Don't be clicking email links.

But to be honest soudns like it was compromised already. if you haven't used it in 2 years i wouldn't bother with it though. unless you have games on there.

Top Bottom