• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies (former GameTrailers) Switch Event - Betting Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
9mjh7Ac.gif

Holy moly 10/10

He should dress up as him for Halloween

Really tho. Storytime with Daimini is such a weird stretch goal. I like the guy a lot, but it would be a show with minimal production value/editing, and honestly I rather hear the stories come up organically during podcasts/live streams. 40k goal should either be Trailer Jones, or a produced show by another ally, one that requires a little more work. I think a lot of people feel the same way which is why it hasnt hit 40k yet, its just not exciting.

Need a new show, maybe top 10s, something that requires some editing to make it feel worth that extra cash.

Yeah the allies are my favorite "personality" group by far but I do feel like in the coming year they need to step up their production / editing side. I hate to bring them up again, but current Kinda Funny just looks so much better than anything that EZA is putting out. I enjoy EZA's content itself more but side by side their video's just don't stack up quality wise at all.

The reason I bring up Kinda Funny as a comparison is that EZA and KF are the two most successful gaming networks funded by Patreon. I get that EZA has a pretty big staff they need to split that money between so I'm sure that's affecting things, but I would love to see them make some big strides in production over the next 12 months.

mishakoz

Yeah the allies are my favorite "personality" group by far but I do feel like in the coming year they need to step up their production / editing side. I hate to bring them up again, but current Kinda Funny just looks so much better than anything that EZA is putting out. I enjoy EZA's content itself more but side by side their video's just don't stack up quality wise at all.

The reason I bring up Kinda Funny as a comparison is that EZA and KF are the two most successful gaming networks funded by Patreon. I get that EZA has a pretty big staff they need to split that money between so I'm sure that's affecting things, but I would love to see them make some big strides in production over the next 12 months.

Let me also say, by show

Cup of Jones (Minimal to Medium Editing)
Podcast (Minimal Editing)
Frame Trap (Minimal Editing)
Huber Syndome (Minimal to Medium Editing)
Easy Update (All over the place levels of editing)
Brandon Sun Kyle Moon (Minimal to Medium Editing)
Retrospective (Extreme Editing)
Reviews (Extensive Editing)
Tabletop Escapades (Minimal Editing)
Fiasconauts (Minimal Editing)

There are a lot of show that have minimal editing, low production value. Which is fine, most don't need it but Id be remiss if I didnt mention how nice it is to watch Geek and Sundry do D&D or tabletop games and have all the nice graphics on the screen, versus Easy Allies have nothing, and in Fiasconauts where it might be really nice to have the relationships, character names, and wants/needs on screen, they dont.

Especially with reviews (15,000) and retros (30,000) that both require a lot of time and editing, its so strange to have Storytime at 40k, which requires minimal editing. Maybe they wish in retrospect (unintentional) they had made retrospectives higher, but whats done is done.

Not trying to high jack the thread but it can be really weird posting criticism in the main OT for Easy allies, sometimes its a true echo chamber.

Gigarator

Let me also say, by show

There are a lot of show that have minimal editing, low production value. Which is fine, most don't need it but Id be remiss if I didnt mention how nice it is to watch Geek and Sundry do D&D or tabletop games and have all the nice graphics on the screen, versus Easy Allies have nothing, and in Fiasconauts where it might be really nice to have the relationships, character names, and wants/needs on screen, they dont.

Especially with reviews (15,000) and retros (30,000) that both require a lot of time and editing, its so strange to have Storytime at 40k, which requires minimal editing. Maybe they wish in retrospect (unintentional) they had made retrospectives higher, but whats done is done.

Not trying to high jack the thread but it can be really weird posting criticism in the main OT for Easy allies, sometimes its a true echo chamber.

You missed out Game Sleuth which I'd consider to be in the extensive/extreme bracket.

Let me also say, by show

Yeah I'm not trying to derail anything either, that's just my one complaint with EZA, is I wish they would just start making things look a bit more professional. I get a big part of the draw is that its a much more laid back "hanging out with your friends" kind of vibe but I think they should challenge themselves to just spruce things up a bit. A studio would alone do a massive job in improving that, but obviously we gotta hit that stretch goal before that can happen. That's why I hope they have some really nice stretch goals planned for the new year to help get them there.

But as always Love and Respect!

mishakoz

You missed out Game Sleuth which I'd consider to be in the extensive/extreme bracket.

I knew I was forgetting one or two. Same issue tho, heavily editing reviews -> Retros -> Game sleuth and then a one person talk show. no disrespect, but i dont think its the progression most people are hoping for and why I think that the Patreon is stagnating.

All the love and respect in the world, as always.

2SeeKU

The main stretch goal is the Studio, which would also take a considerable chunk of the budget. This is why lower cost productions would be the stretch goals before the studio.

Great show anyway (as always). They're my main source of gaming entertainment.

God this is so good! I could rewatch the intro and character introductions all day. This is as classic as that E3 2015 PS Reactions video. I love it and I love EZA.

EZA could use better cameras and better production, but IMHO, the personalities and the great interactions that all of the members of EZA have beats the almost "studio-like" quality production values (comparatively) that KF seems to have. Personalities and genuineness over cold hearted efficiency and sheer volume of content and high production value.

Tankard

7uWqxTM.gif

I love the easter egg in this shot. You can see through his glasses Ian waving at him and Ultima being just too cool for that.

EZA could use better cameras and better production, but IMHO, the personalities and the great interactions that all of the members of EZA have beats the almost "studio-like" quality production values (comparatively) that KF seems to have. Personalities and genuineness over cold hearted efficiency and sheer volume of content and high production value.

Oh I totally agree with you. Give me EZA over KF any day. I just wish we could get EZA with KF's quality production.

But hey if we can manage to get to that studio goal this year it's possible

7uWqxTM.gif

I love the easter egg in this shot. You can see through his glasses Ian waving at him and Ultima being just too cool for that.

Did not notice that, good eye. I'm hoping they can get the office they deserve, but I also hope they never lose their very relatable and down to earth spirit. They had it at GT too, but didn't show it on full display as much, most of all I might just miss Brandon's house if they get the office, lol.

Flare

That was an amazing betting special.

I suppose I'll bet alongside, should be fun.

Simple Bets:

- Will the word "Metroid" be spoken? No
- Will Wario reveal himself? No
- Will the phrase "You're a kid now, you're a squid now" reveal itself? No
- Will Wave Race be shown in any form? No
- Will Waluigi speak? (This includes grunts, laughs, etc.) No
- Will Link reveal HERSELF? No

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see? 10
- How many Fire Flowers will appear? 1
- How many Switch games shown will star Mario? 3
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 4
- How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation? 3
- How many times will the phrase "Make the Switch" be said? 0

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"? 7

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU) 249.99

Looking forward to the results show.

Just watched this I fuckin love these guys. Always having fun with it. So many others in this field are jaded an humorless. Idk if I love ultimate brad or punished Huber most. I do have a special place in my heart for bosman. The best in the biz. This actually makes me excited to watch the switch event even tho I know 100% I'll never buy one.

Love the random bets personalities thanks to Ultima Brad's appearance lol.

Punished Huber looks legit depressed and sad which is hilarious. Rainy Day Ian is too damn fun though.

Roboculus

As always, their betting specials are fantastic. I really appreciate the work they put in to set these up each time. Special props to Ian and Jones for their costumes (though Benzilla was also pretty great).

My guesses are below.

Simple Bets:

- Will the word "Metroid" be spoken? Yes (was originally gonna say no but I think Retro's new game will show up and even though I don't think they're working on Metroid, I still think the word will be said when introducing them)
- Will Wario reveal himself? Yes

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see? 5 (if this was the treehouse stream then I would have guessed higher but since it's just the presentation, I'm assuming we're just getting a trailer and I really don't think we'll see many rupees in a trailer)
- How many Fire Flowers will appear? 2
- How many Switch games shown will star Mario? 5
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 12
- How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation? 8

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"? 20

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU) $249.99

Broank

Brand Manager and Punished Huber lol

Can't wait to see the diorama stream. If it's even half as good as the song one it's be one of the greatest things ever.

Edit:

Simple Bets:

- Will the word "Metroid" be spoken? Yes

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see? 7
- How many Fire Flowers will appear? 0
- How many Switch games shown will star Mario? 2
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 2
- How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation? 12

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"? 9

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU) $249.99

Pachinko

This was the greatest betting special of all time, love that format change. I'm going to play along though.

Simple Bets:

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see? 5
- How many Fire Flowers will appear? 0
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 1

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"? 12

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU) 199.99

Some of those are real "I want to believe" bets on my part, especially the price but I don't care.

That Bosman gif is giving me life.

I honestly feel like Easy Allies is one of the most underrated things on the internet. No idea how/why they haven't "broken" out yet considering the wide swath of things they do so well. They are extremely knowledgeable, have varied interests, great senses of humor, eager to try new things and they mesh just so extremely damn well together. I've listened to probably every podcast since the start of GT Time, and I can't recall ever being bummed that someone "i didn't want" was on the podcast or something that week. Plus, going from unceremoniously shut down to the greatness that is Easy Allies in 9ish months is one hell of a story!

All that being said, while they're successful, it's a bummer they aren't getting more views/Patreon dollars/a studio or werehogs as they deserve so much more. I mean this with love and respect to all of them, but Bosman is their guy to reach further audiences. I'll gladly watch every episode of Damiani's show, but I can't imagine that attracting many new people to their Patreon. That's a show for people that are already Patreons.

I completely understand Bosman's hesitation to the pressures of Patreon, but it would just draw so many more eyes/clicks benefiting the rest of the outstanding "content" they produce. A Bosman show doesn't need to be associated with Patreon (like their upcoming Anime only podcast or Fiasconauts) if he doesn't want it to be. If he did want it to be a goal, the community has shown we are completely ok with sporadic uploads (Cup of Jones, Tales from Japan).

Bosman already does so damn much for the channel (hosts the podcast, Tabletop Escapades(!), Pokemon with Jones, guests on Frame Trap, 3 streams per week counting group stream, betting specials and miscellaneous other things/appearances) that it's a bummer that his most accessible shown (Bosman at Home) isn't on the same channel as the rest of his stuff. I honestly think a new Bosman show would get them to their studio goal quickly and would highlight the rest of their outstanding other videos.

All that being said, they're 'best in the biz' for a reason. They've made me enjoy video games extraordinarily more because of them. I'm real excited to watch the Switch special with them tomorrow night.

ISee

This was great! 5/5
Maybe a bit strange if you never saw them before, but I enjoyed that special a lot. And for reasons: my favourite 'character' was Benzilla... ROOOOOOAR! But they were all great and funny, so whatever.
Maybe they should dress up and comment on the show as their betting alter egos... But that's probably overkill.

arkon

I get making the comparisons but I feel the situations are quite different. The KF guys were able to plan their independence and had a bigger audience/following to bring over, not to mention starting earlier. They also have two patreons, the Rooster Teeth partnership/affiliation, and seem to do far more ad reads etc.

The Allies had things sprung on them and reacted to that. You still get fans from their GT days regularly coming out of the woodwork to say they had no idea these guys were doing stuff together again. They've not even been going for a year yet. I wonder where the KF guys were in the same timeframe.

I do agree that they probably need to look at their stretch goals and mix things up a bit as the story time doesn't seem to have had the desired effect. I'm guessing some stuff will be in the works for the anniversary.

Xiofire

This was great. As a relative newbie to the EZA lore, I was a little confused, but it was still awkwardly hilarious throughout.
My new life goal is to be as suave as Brand Manager Jones.

Bring on the bets!

Simple Bets:

- Will Wario reveal himself? Yes (Mario Kart Switch reel)
- Will the phrase "You're a kid now, you're a squid now" reveal itself? Yes (Splat2n reel music)
- Will Waluigi speak? (This includes grunts, laughs, etc.) Yes (Mario Kart Reel)

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see?12
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 2
- How many times will the phrase "Make the Switch" be said?1

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"?6

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU)$199.99 ($249.99 will be for a premium model with more memory etc)

Hasney

I do agree that they probably need to look at their stretch goals and mix things up a bit as the story time doesn't seem to have had the desired effect. I'm guessing some stuff will be in the works for the anniversary.

It's got nothing really to do with the stretch goals. I think it's just found it's current limit.

Hahahaha these will be used a lot :D. saved

Can someone change these with reaction words so we could use these for different stuff?

Blood : 'cold blooded' doesnt need change lol
Ian : 'Awesome' or ' Hi! '
Ben : 'So scary !'
Jones: 'Allright !'
Bosman: 'U want some of this? '
Brad: 'Nope... '
Huber: 'Punished' or 'Banned'

I dunno if you guys have better ideas , go ahead of course, cant make gifs myself :(

My bets:

Simple Bets:

- Will the word "Metroid" be spoken? No.
- Will Wario reveal himself? No.
- Will the phrase "You're a kid now, you're a squid now" reveal itself? No.
- Will Wave Race be shown in any form? No.
- Will Waluigi speak? (This includes grunts, laughs, etc.) No.
- Will Link reveal HERSELF? No.

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see? 84
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps? 6
- How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation? 57
- How many times will the phrase "Make the Switch" be said? 2

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"? 23

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU) $199.00

Lol. Battleborn sucks too, and Randy Pitchford is an even bigger baby. The Allies have no problem bagging on garbage when they see it.

Jaffe deserves to be called on his shit.

I don't like battleborn, i'm not a massive fan of Pichford or Jaffe but as someone in the industry i'm never going to slate a person / teams work because even bad games still take a lot from the people involved.

Those peopel still did crunch and didn't get to spend time with their friends and family.

The allies are so good at being objective and respectful for the most part. It's very commendable. When they tear something down its always funny and never mean spirited or a personal attack.

It's fine not to like a game but calling out people and then calling them names for their contribution to video games is kind of beneath what a lot of the Allies and community stand for.

Also, Ian is sooooo cute. Is he gay or just doesn't give a shit about wearing pink? Both are cool, but I hope it's the former so I can keep a dream alive in my head. :p

Ian just does not give a shit, he's made comments that suggest he's not gay but at the same time he has never openly discussed it, not that I would expect him to.. In fact I think he'd rather we didn't even consider it worthy of discussion, which isn't, but which I am doing?

Whatever, Ian is a legend and that's what matters.

My favourite thing about Ian is that he has extremely good taste in the things he's passionate about. Gameplay, controls, art style - he sees through all bullshit and truly appreciates perfection. He's like.. Jonny Ive or something. A true aesthete.

arkon

It's got nothing really to do with the stretch goals. I think it's just found it's current limit.

Yeah it's more about gaining new fans at this point.

More enticing stretch goals might encourage more people to become patrons/come back into the fold or up their existing pledge. So I don't agree with it having nothing to do with them.

I'd certainly be comfortable doing that with a new 40k stretch goal in sight that I wanted over the Story Time even if it is minimally-produced content like a Just Played

Axass

We're so close to the event!

I do not agree. While what you say has partial truth, if they had a Bosman show goal at 40k, they'd reach it and maintain it without hassle forever. Also they should lock more stuff behind Patreon, even if it's just the nominal $1 per month fee. There aren't enough incentives for low tier patrons. Frankly I'd have time-locked the new anime podcast: $1 to see it 2 weeks earlier or so; or they could have made it the new 40k stretch goal, or an intermediate 38k one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom